WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The entire water process...

I'm planning on starting NOBO end of march March... I've never camped out long enought to have to drink local water. What is the daily cycle for taking care of water needs? Besides towns, and using lakes and streams, are there any other water sources?

by cycle I mean:

morning start hiking
    around evening find some water and a camp site
    cleanup
    filter/treat water
    refill water bottles
    cook food

something like that...I've read that some guy took a collapsible 2 gallon water container with him, which he would use to carry water from the source to his campsite...i guess at that point he'd treat/filter some for drinking water, and use the rest to clean himself, I dunno.

also...if i end up pulling water from a lake or stream... should I filter it, then treat it? should boiling be part of this process too? If I'm going to boil it for dinner does that mean I don't need to filter or treat it? should I just boil all of the water I get from natural sources, let it cool, refill water bottles with that?

Thanks

Most water sources are springs coming out of ground and they are usually at every shelter/campsite. Rarely do you have to use a pond/lake or large stream for your water so you really don't have to carry much when you start out in the morning. I can't help you with the treat/filter questions. I don't do either.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by derizen View Post
    I'
    also...if i end up pulling water from a lake or stream... should I filter it, then treat it? should boiling be part of this process too? If I'm going to boil it for dinner does that mean I don't need to filter or treat it? should I just boil all of the water I get from natural sources, let it cool, refill water bottles with that?

Thanks
    ===============================

If you're carrying a filter you might as well pump it as you gather it. That way you can fill your containers directly from the filter.

I don't carry a filter but I do hike with a large 2 handle Platypus that I use to scoop water from streams/lakes etc and take back to my campsite. I then pour what I need for a meal and boil it. The rest I use to re-fill my hydration bladder and bottle, which I purify with AquaMira.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

My .02 worth.

When I know that there is plenty of water available, I carry Aqua Mira and use it only when I'm nervous about the source.

When I know that water is a bit tight, I carry a small filter so that I can get water from standing sources if necessary.

I carry a 2.4L Platypus bag and, along with my empty Gator Aid bottle, fill it up when I get to camp. I use that water for cooking, cleaning, cameling before going to sleep, breakfast coffee, and then filling up my bottle in the morning so that I can get moving right away.

You gather water as you can, not "once per day" but when and where you can. There are no hard and fast rules -- you have to be opportunistic about it, and consider the terrain you're traveling through.

Most importantly, consider... water is most plentiful at low elevations, and from running streams on the sides of hills. In general, water will be most scarce on the ridges. So while I'm ascending a big hill, when passing a stream, I try to guess whether it's the last stream before the ridge. If it is, that's where I "camel up" and fill up my water bottle(s) or platy. You want to pay attention to those blue lines intersecting the trail, on your map.

I've learned to be conservative about that judgement, but even so, I often get it wrong, and usually regret it. It feels stupid to carry "extra" water, but it's really bad news to be caught with too little.

I won't get into filters vs. chemicals (or neither) -- that's a discussion without end, and you simply have to make your own call.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I fill up all my bottles at night, so I can get a quick start in the morning, and never have to refill during the day. 2qts for dinner includes cooking, drinking w/ dinner, cleaning, and tooth brushing, and then I kill whatever remains upon awakening the next morning.
    To me, it's a matter of strategy. I try to have as much water as I'll need, but not too much more, because the stuff is heavy.

The time taken to fill/filter/treat water is a separate issue. But quite often, a rushing stream in the woods, halfway up the mountain, is a nice place to take a break in any case. Unless the bugs are out, in which case it's not.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    ...... If you're carrying a filter you might as well pump it as you gather it. That way you can fill your containers directly from the filter. ....'Slogger
    When I carry a filter, I don't filter directly from the source. Water sources are frequently shallow and can be a pain to get to and can have silt problems if your intake hose stirs up the mud on the bottom. Plus, it can be uncomfortable to sit on the bank while trying to pump directly from the creek. I carry a couple of gallon zip loc bags and fill those about half full at the source. Then I either carry them back to my campsite to filter or find a more comfortable place to sit near the source.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Most water sources are springs coming out of ground and they are usually at every shelter/campsite.
    Eh? I can't believe, with your umpteen-thousands of miles on the A.T., that you'd make such a claim.

At Leroy Smith Shelter this summer, it was at least a quarter mile and a 300 foot vertical down to the one useful water source. It was not a spring, but a stream (which is by far more typical.) Kirkridge gets its water from a spigot (strangest of all.) Pochuck Shelter has no water at all.

I used to think that most AT shelters were at or near some kind of water source, but now I'm not so sure.

The data book will tell you where the water sources are. You will know, when you are hiking, whether you are in a high water or low water/drought situation. i.e. some years water can be scarce in PA or for southbounders. But you'll know if that's the case and can plan accordingly. Each morning, before you leave camp, look at the book or your map or the Companion and figure out how far it is to water. Then carry what you need to get you to the next reliable source. I usually carry two quarts, and fill up during the day as needed. I find a quart will usually last 6-8 miles. We try to eat lunch near water so we can filter and fill up. I don't filter from good springs, but will from standing water and large creeks. If I am camping near water, I'll pick up water at the water source in a large 2 gallon REI bladder (hard to find any more) and carry it back to camp where I'll use the water to clean up. I'll filter what I need to drink for the night (usually 2 quarts) and use the rest to cook dinner and breakfast. If I'm not camping near water, I'll get enough water to get me through the night and to the next water source. On the AT I rarely carried more than 2 quarts. In the dryer sections of Virginia, I cooked dinner where there was water, then hiked on a few miles afterwards. On the PCT and CDT I have carried a gallon and a half at times. It doesn't take long to figure out what works best for you.

Thanks for all the replies

++ New Posts ++