WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Another thought... What we're talking about here is the inability to experience awe, from hiking, mountains, nature, other people, a million things. So you pull out a dumb gadget and zone out.
    Here's a timely post on awe.

I don't know or care how anyone else dose their hike, but for me camp is for eating dinner, and preparing for the next day,
    while sharing war stories. Then sleeping till time to start again.
    Do I carry a smart phone but only use it for a call/text to my family each day and maybe wright in my journal as I'm reflecting on the past day in my Hammock.

Mama Bear
    [
    It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.
    You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,
    there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.]
    [J.R.R. Tolkien
    ]

Wow, maybe it is you? While I was hiking through VA I met quite a few young unplugged hikers (no cell service here) around the fire sharing funny stories, explaining their trail name origins, etc. could it have been your attitude?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I did aver 140 miles in VA this year (perhaps further north than the OP) & the only time I saw the face in the phone was when some were comparing various weather reports Or "How far till the next place to stop for the night" on Guthook. Even where you could get full bars, the phone was there, but usually on Airplane mode. Everyone who actually talked on the phone, went quite a distance away from everyone, called who they had to & came back.
    I had a great hike, lots of good conversation & minimal zombies,,, well, a few who had done 25 mile days when they should have only done 15 :-)
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Journal Entries
    Images

I use my phone for GPS tracks and for pictures. The only times I've texted or called someone was to arrange, confirm, or change a shuttle pickup time. But that's my business. If I want to spend my downtime deleting the pictures that didn't come out right, reading a book, browsing WB, or some other site, that's my damn business. I pay for this phone, and if someone says something to me about it, I'll tell them what I think of their opinion.

As long as a person isn't blaring music from their phone and keeps it on silent, I don't care. Being irritated about someone's phone isn't going to make that climb any easier.

Some people will find anything to complain about. If seeing someone on a cell phone ruins your wilderness experience, maybe you need to loosen up a bit.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++