WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bacon fat

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Default Bacon fat

I walked into a valley one day and it smelled good. It smelled fantastic! I found a hiker just outside a store who was frying up a pound of bacon. He poured all the fat into an uncut loaf of bread and proceeded to eat the whole thing. Sounds awful but sure smelled good.
    Eating dehydrated food for several days makes me yearn for fat. I ate some of the bacon and got high on the fat ? After thatexperience I try to avoid eating strictly dehydrated food for several days in a row. Just piggy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by middle to middle
    I walked into a valley one day and it smelled good. It smelled fantastic! I found a hiker just outside a store who was frying up a pound of bacon. He poured all the fat into an uncut loaf of bread and proceeded to eat the whole thing. Sounds awful but sure smelled good.
    Eating dehydrated food for several days makes me yearn for fat. I ate some of the bacon and got high on the fat ? After thatexperience I try to avoid eating strictly dehydrated food for several days in a row. Just piggy.
    Adding olive oil,Margorine (or other type of vegy oil)to your dehydrated foods when cooking is a good way to replace some of the fat lost in the dehydrating process.
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

mmmmmm unexplained bacon.....
    ^
    |
    |
    |
    Homer Simpson quote

Quote Originally Posted by Streamweaver
    Adding olive oil,Margorine (or other type of vegy oil)to your dehydrated foods when cooking is a good way to replace some of the fat lost in the dehydrating process.
    Won't the oil or margarine stay on the outside of the dehydrated food thus making it quite greasy? This has been my experience. When I make jerky I sometimes have to blot fat deposits off the meat when it's drying.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man
    Won't the oil or margarine stay on the outside of the dehydrated food thus making it quite greasy? This has been my experience. When I make jerky I sometimes have to blot fat deposits off the meat when it's drying.
    Not when rehydrating and cooking up the food. The heat incorprates the fat into the food. That is what they are refering to
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

On my first thruhike I had a period where I got really tired and grumpy. Three of us stopped at a little store and fried up a pound of bacon and a dozen eggs, which we sopped up with bread. I remember how much fat that pound of bacon produced. We buried most of it, but ate more than I would normally eat. That was one of the best meals of the trail. My energy came back and I was fine after that.

Another time there was a group of Scouts that fried up some Spam. It smelled so good! I went to the bathroom, came back and they had given some of it to the hikers who were there - but I was too late. I was SO disappointed.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I like carrying summer sausage/hard salami. Keeps forever, gives me some needed protein and fat.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I read this thread and it made me crave a BLT for lunch. You guys owe me $3.95.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Arteries need exercise, or they loose their resiliency, so:

Take that, you arteries!

My dad always says "you need hog lard in your diet, It keeps your blood lubricated ----- That way your blood can get through the tight spots"

Love the bacon
    Sandy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy B
    My dad always says "you need hog lard in your diet, It keeps your blood lubricated ----- That way your blood can get through the tight spots"

Love the bacon
    Sandy
    I may have to make that a sig line...
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 01-04-2006 at 16:30.

Default margerine....mmmmmmmm

i put a dolop of margerine in hot chocolate before sleep.mmmm a land of margerine. heres what i know,drink a qt of milk,eat a pint of ice cream,go to the ayce, drink a 6 and hit the trail. total time spent off trail if done just right....3hrs.burping beer dairy dinner burps on the first climb out of town...priceless.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Just lick an oil pan.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Journal Entries
    Images

Shelf Stable Baconbroadbent_zps73e87ea2.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My dad grew up in the depression and he used to mention bacon grease on toast as a evening snack. Heck its saturated fat used to be regarded as a major risk factor for heart attacks but now that saturated fat is "good" who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Shelf Stable Baconbroadbent_zps73e87ea2.jpg
    Must be processed somewhat like some of the types of ham you can find (unrefridgerated) in, say, Virginia?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    My dad grew up in the depression and he used to mention bacon grease on toast as a evening snack. Heck its saturated fat used to be regarded as a major risk factor for heart attacks but now that saturated fat is "good" who knows.
    Probably not something most people would do on a regular basis, but given the calorie usage of a hiker it seems like it could work.

Also probably at the time you mention when there was less available (or able to be purchased/afforded in so many cases) eating all of what was available to boost calorie intake was a sensible idea also.

I believe lard does not have to be refrigerated. Might be another source of trail fat.
    And you can even get it in 5 gal. buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    My Grandpa was a dairy farmer who also had a pigpen with about 6 pigs each yr. My Mom was born shortly before the depression, the youngest of 6. She tells that my Grandma would use the bacon grease in all kinds of cooking and on toast. She would make baked bean and bacon grease sandwiches for the boys for school lunches. Sometimes my uncles would trade them with the city kids for roast beef sandwiches.
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I believe lard does not have to be refrigerated. Might be another source of trail fat.
    And you can even get it in 5 gal. buckets.
    The only thing I use lard for is to fry chrustchiki; I would never eat it or spread on anything.
    Trillium

Journal Entries

I fry up a lb of bacon now and then on low temps just to drain the bacon grease to have for cooking other things. It will come out clear and light yellow tint on low heat, with little odor. On high heat, its brown.

My parents and grandparents kept coffee tin with bacon grease in the refrigerator used for cooking and making gravy.

I dont think there is much wrong with natural fats. Its the man-made ones that are responsible for the brunt of the cardiac damage, but thats another topic. Marked increase in heart disease with the development of margarine. Basically, people have been lied to by the goverment and agribusiness for a long time. The food pyramid, promotes diabetes as well. Is it any wonder americans are in such poor health?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-08-2014 at 23:35.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++