Images

Default New to West coast hiking, questions.

Hello WB. I moved from Maine to Oregon recently and am itching to get out there with my two children. They are 6 and 9 and are avid hikers for their age. I'm wondering if the PCT section in Oregon has any kid friendly hikes? Day hike to start and looking to do 4-6 miles round trip. We moved to Salem and absolutely love it here!!! So far we have explored a lava tube in the Deschutes Wilderness, Crater Lake National Park, Opal Creek Wilderness is amazing. Old mining claims and a gorgeous creek!

skinny d

I've seen and been in quite a few lava tubes residing part of the yr in Hawaii. I'm also a glutton for amazing waterfalls. I thought the Subway off the PCT made for a good short but HOT side trip(*bring headlamps) and Burney Falls in northern Cali were well above avg. Both are close enough to do in a day under short hikes. I would not rec the Hat Creek Rim of the PCT though.

So many short super scenic hikes along the Oregon coast too in State Parks, Rec. Areas, Marine Sanctuaries, etc. where one can mix up sea lions, umpteen types of birds, otters, beach and tidal flat combing, cliffs, waterfalls, car or hike and bike camping, hostel or Inn stays, lighthouses, old growth trees,….. See ya there in two wks.

There are hikes on trail through old growth along the Umpqua River with some real neat waterfalls like the Toketee with established CGs that can be used as base camps for day hikes.

Images

We visited Lincolnville, Oregon which is a coastal town.

A nice coast line hike would be fantastic. Does the PCT go anywhere near the coast?? I have much to learn.
    skinny d

People will sometimes mistakenly call the PCT the Pacific Coast Trail. Nope, the PCT is in no way, shape, or form a coastal hike.

Lincolnville + Lincoln City?

I've never been there but might want to research Oregon Caves too.

Default New to West coast hiking, questions.

why don't you google "Oregon coastal hikes " - I bet you'll find some good ones!

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    why don't you google "Oregon coastal hikes " - I bet you'll find some good ones!
    Lots of good hikes listed with descriptions, pts of interest, trail maps, etc in Day Hiking Oregon Coast by Bonnie Henderson. Bonnie lives in OR whom I've found has been a great source of OR coast hike beta. She's real approachable too. She's plugged into the hiking and environmental scene along the coast. She's hiked the Oregon Coastal Tr and oh so many others along the OR coast and is a trail fanatic. My kinda people.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Lots of good hikes listed with descriptions, pts of interest, trail maps, etc in Day Hiking Oregon Coast by Bonnie Henderson. Bonnie lives in OR whom I've found has been a great source of OR coast hike beta. She's real approachable too. She's plugged into the hiking and environmental scene along the coast. She's hiked the Oregon Coastal Tr and oh so many others along the OR coast and is a trail fanatic. My kinda people.
    Thank you. I will pick that book up. Also going to look more into caves here. My kids love "mining". Though we dont do any actual mining. Take nothing but pictures.
    skinny d

Hiking around Mt.Hood has some pretty cool features.

There's some good hiking around Mt. Adams in southern Washington. Could be the PCT, for all I know -- I hiked it eons ago and never bothered to record the name of the trail. Got some nice photos, though.

Google Eugene hiking groups/club, Audubon Society, etc. Talk to the folks at Backcountry Gear for hiking ideas.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Also there is pretty active web site for Northwest hikes at http://www.oregonhikers.org/.
    There many ways of finding hikes for and/or with kids. Give distances and elavations.

Lives in Portland
    Levibarry

Images

Thank you for the link levibarry. Heading to Three Fingered Jack tomorrow for a 20 mile loop around the mountain. Have a good holiday weekend everyone!
    skinny d

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IHGVB2U...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

60 Hikes within 60 miles - Portland Oregon and the Coast

++ New Posts ++