WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

People 70 lbs overweight, people just out of college, people just out of high school, seniors, middle-agers, people tired of the monotony of corporate life, housewives, househusbands, history teachers, hair dressers, capenters...everyone.

Have proved they can thru-hike the Appalachain Trail.

It is not only the greatest Trail in the world, it is everyone's Trail.

That is part of what makes the Appalachain Trail so attractive as an experience.

And an AT thru-hike so captivating as an experience.

Not to bank on Facebook, but rather as an immersion to remember all of your days.

Datto

I contend you will meet some of the best people you will meet in your entire life on an AT thru-hike.

Well no, it's not Zuckerberg or Bezos or Namath --

But is is everyday people striving, like you, to accomplish something big. Way more than Joe Schmoe chowing down lunch sitting in a cubicle.

You only have one life -- why not make the best of it and take advantage of what opportunity presents itself?

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Does not apply in certain areas of extreme vertical.
    oh that...its just scrambin'

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    rub a dub dub

quitting becomes a habit that crosses over into various facets of life
    its just quittin' it ain't like anybody really gives a crap if I quit or you quit...so quit it!

ps I quit a thru hike before I ever wanted to go in the first place, to much of a pain in the arse, section honking is way better for most people's life style choices.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    its just quittin' it ain't like anybody really gives a crap if I quit or you quit...so quit it!

ps I quit a thru hike before I ever wanted to go in the first place, to much of a pain in the arse, section honking is way better for most people's life style choices.
    The soldier being much too wise,
    The sailor gave at least a try...

I'll bet you know where that comes from.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    I contend you will meet some of the best people you will meet in your entire life on an AT thru-hike.

Well no, it's not Zuckerberg or Bezos or Namath --

But is is everyday people striving, like you, to accomplish something big. Way more than Joe Schmoe chowing down lunch sitting in a cubicle.

You only have one life -- why not make the best of it and take advantage of what opportunity presents itself?
    Because thru-hiking and a dead-end cubicle job aren't the only choices?

I could have thru-hiked at twenty. I was a college dropout, I'd blundered into a job on Wall Street with a bunch of crooks, and I was pretty sick of the world. Instead, I begged and pleaded with school administrators to let me back in to help shield me from the consequences of whistleblowing. It worked. I was, as far as the Dean was able to determine, the only student in the history of the school to be expelled and graduate with his class. A dubious distinction, but it certainly made memories!

I could have thru-hiked at thirty. My job had obviously come to a dead end - it was respectable, and paid pretty well, but my heart was not in it, especially after they went and made me the manager of my unit. Instead, I quit, and went back to grad school - because I could see the job I wanted to be doing, and it took a PhD. Doing a PhD in early middle age is an even bigger commitment and adventure than a thru hike, let me tell you!

I could have thru-hiked at forty (except that I was deathly ill for most of that year, but that's another story). But by then I had a wife, and a toddler daughter, and I had commitments to keep. And seeing my daughter grow has been a great wonder and joy, and I'd surely not trade it for a thru-hike, however transformative that experience might be. It also had me working on designing the transmission network for a big-name TV network. I care but little for television, but it had everyone around me saying, "what a cool job!" and it's certainly satisfying that my work is still in use twenty years later.

I could have thru-hiked at fifty. But by then, my daughter was coming hiking with me. She had many other interests, which I encouraged her to pursue, so it would not have worked to pull her out of school for part of a year in order for her to follow me. So I stayed close to home, and supported her, and still have a memory of her grin the first time she stood beside me on the summit of a Northeast 4k in winter, the first time that we found the summit canister of a trailless peak with her in the lead, and even when she came home after the first time she took a group of her buddies out without me. And in the meantime, I was working on good stuff - doing embedded software research for microscopes and X-ray machines and MR scanners - helping doctors help patients better.

Now, I'm sixty. I suppose I could still pack it all in and head for the trail. But I still like hanging around to watch the lovely young woman that my daughter has grown to, taking care of my wife, and still work on X-rays and microscopes and robots - only now for making power plants just that little bit more efficient and less polluting, and jet engines just that little bit safer. It's still good work, and I like doing it. I'm not ready to retire just yet. One of these days they'll push me out the door, and I'll shed no tears. As an engineer, I've buit some things I can be proud of. I've made stuff that people don't see very often, but that they live better lives because of. I can say for certain that there are patients who lived that would have died without the work I did. For all I know, I prevented a plane crash.

You say with confidence that anyone who passes up an opportunity to thru-hike will regret it all their days. On the contrary, I have few regrets. I love the trail, but I've never wanted to be married to it. I've heard wonderful things about the camaraderie of the trail family, but I'll take my real family any day. Mother Nature can wait for me to visit her on weekends and vacations. I have other things to do with the rest of my time, and those things aren't soul-crushing.

That's why I'll always, on this site, have the contrary perspective of, "are you sure that thru-hiking is the relationship you want with the Trail? That isn't all there is - and thru-hiking wasn't even what the trail was originally supposed to have been about." The other approaches aren't consolation prizes.

Says the clueless weekender.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Uhm, John Perry Barlow?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Uhm, John Perry Barlow?
    Nope. But I'll give you credit for making me check.

Journal Entries

The Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by sfdoc View Post
    The Grateful Dead
    Of course. Terrapin Station. Garcia/Hunter.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've had more fun hiking different locations for 1-2-4 weeks at a time. It's far easier and cheaper than a thru-hike and about .001% as unrewarding with one less bragging right. You don't need a thru-hike to meet great people, knock out epic challenges, and transform yourself. You just need to get outside into the wild more often.

it can be bought or sold.

Not.............

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Because thru-hiking and a dead-end cubicle job aren't the only choices?

I could have thru-hiked at twenty. I was a college dropout, I'd blundered into a job on Wall Street with a bunch of crooks, and I was pretty sick of the world. Instead, I begged and pleaded with school administrators to let me back in to help shield me from the consequences of whistleblowing. It worked. I was, as far as the Dean was able to determine, the only student in the history of the school to be expelled and graduate with his class. A dubious distinction, but it certainly made memories!

I could have thru-hiked at thirty. My job had obviously come to a dead end - it was respectable, and paid pretty well, but my heart was not in it, especially after they went and made me the manager of my unit. Instead, I quit, and went back to grad school - because I could see the job I wanted to be doing, and it took a PhD. Doing a PhD in early middle age is an even bigger commitment and adventure than a thru hike, let me tell you!

I could have thru-hiked at forty (except that I was deathly ill for most of that year, but that's another story). But by then I had a wife, and a toddler daughter, and I had commitments to keep. And seeing my daughter grow has been a great wonder and joy, and I'd surely not trade it for a thru-hike, however transformative that experience might be. It also had me working on designing the transmission network for a big-name TV network. I care but little for television, but it had everyone around me saying, "what a cool job!" and it's certainly satisfying that my work is still in use twenty years later.

I could have thru-hiked at fifty. But by then, my daughter was coming hiking with me. She had many other interests, which I encouraged her to pursue, so it would not have worked to pull her out of school for part of a year in order for her to follow me. So I stayed close to home, and supported her, and still have a memory of her grin the first time she stood beside me on the summit of a Northeast 4k in winter, the first time that we found the summit canister of a trailless peak with her in the lead, and even when she came home after the first time she took a group of her buddies out without me. And in the meantime, I was working on good stuff - doing embedded software research for microscopes and X-ray machines and MR scanners - helping doctors help patients better.

Now, I'm sixty. I suppose I could still pack it all in and head for the trail. But I still like hanging around to watch the lovely young woman that my daughter has grown to, taking care of my wife, and still work on X-rays and microscopes and robots - only now for making power plants just that little bit more efficient and less polluting, and jet engines just that little bit safer. It's still good work, and I like doing it. I'm not ready to retire just yet. One of these days they'll push me out the door, and I'll shed no tears. As an engineer, I've buit some things I can be proud of. I've made stuff that people don't see very often, but that they live better lives because of. I can say for certain that there are patients who lived that would have died without the work I did. For all I know, I prevented a plane crash.

You say with confidence that anyone who passes up an opportunity to thru-hike will regret it all their days. On the contrary, I have few regrets. I love the trail, but I've never wanted to be married to it. I've heard wonderful things about the camaraderie of the trail family, but I'll take my real family any day. Mother Nature can wait for me to visit her on weekends and vacations. I have other things to do with the rest of my time, and those things aren't soul-crushing.

That's why I'll always, on this site, have the contrary perspective of, "are you sure that thru-hiking is the relationship you want with the Trail? That isn't all there is - and thru-hiking wasn't even what the trail was originally supposed to have been about." The other approaches aren't consolation prizes.

Says the clueless weekender.
    beautyful...........

This is why I hike with a 4 liter platypus in my pack and sip constantly out of the tube as I walk. On a hot day, I'm often surprised to see that I've completely drained it in just a few hours. I only use my water bottle when I'm "pack off" and on break.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I buy into it. It keeps things in an appropriate perspective.
    I'm not denying the occasional usefulness, wisdom and brevity of the phrase, just that it's a bit simplistic.

rub a dub dub

quitting becomes a habit that crosses over into various facets of life
    "In the long run men only hit what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high.” --Henry David Thoreau

I guess my point is that the way I view my hike is that if I hadn't set out to do a thru hike I wouldn't have achieved the accomplishment of having hiked 850 miles. Yes, ultimately I quit and I failed, but there have been few monumental failures in my life where I walked away from them with such an accomplishment after having spent 4 months on vacation. I'll take that kind of failure anytime. And I don't mind being called a quitter either. At least I made the attempt. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The more important and empowering question to consider is "what enables one/how is one enabled to accomplish intended anticipated hikes?"
    The Fifth Element: Money.

I wonder how many of those folks there are -- the ones who thru-hike the AT but really don't like hiking or backpacking all that much?
    People who will quit tend to leave clues. It starts with letting oneself get mentally negative. If the negative thought patterns of why hiking sucks, etc does't get interrupted it becomes all consuming. The focus gets wider and wider on why it's OK even agreeable to quit. The mental negativity(weakness) builds. Just as it builds and weariness in well doing sets in at other endeavors in life…marriage, training children, career, fidelity, loyalty, commitment, heeding financial and personal responsibilities, honesty, being true to one's word, etc. Quitting creeps in and with enough of it becomes habitual.

Even the few who I've met and observed that hated backpacking/LD backpacking would at times find ways to enjoy it, get their minds off why it sucked, embracing the suck to where it didn't seem so sucky all the time, finding reasons why it was great through laughter, socializing, bonding with others of a common goal, doing something other than hiking(check out plants, wildlife, geology, regional Natural History, off trail museum, attending music concerts, etc), taking periodic breaks off for a couple of days on a LD hike, chunking down a LD hike into smaller LD hikes from town to town or state after state, and finding something to be grateful for each day focusing on all these instead of focusing on quitting.

Be honest with yourself. How easy has it become for you to quit at…..? and …..? and….? and…? Maybe it's about time to break the pattern?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++