Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default First Solo Trip!

Not on the AT but that's alright. Still going to be just plain old good experience. Soon as I get off work, I get to grab the pooch, pack, and hit the trail! We've got some rain in the forecast so my gear will also be getting a good workout.

Camera is charged and has empty memory so I'll be sure and post lots of pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Well, the chance of rain has escalated to a small chance of thunderstorms! This makes me a little excited though I know the area very well and know of some little ridges and rock formations that are great for hunkering down if need be. a few decent caves as well that I have used to wait out day hikes. I plan to keep this thread updated, hopefully to encourage those who are trying to get up the nerve for that first solo overnighter.

Journal Entries

Can't wait to see how it goes. My hubby will not let me go alone, though I really want to.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

I have always heard NOT to wait out a thunderstorm (lightning) under an overhang or shallow cave.
    http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/..._lightning.pdf
    see figure on second page.

Journal Entries

I guess cave would be a bad way to describe the area I'm talking about. That's just what I'm used to my husband calling it. It is like a sheltered little set of hills close together. I get about mid way out of water but away from the top. Hunker down with the poncho.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    Can't wait to see how it goes. My hubby will not let me go alone, though I really want to.

Lnj, a lot of people think my husband is crazy for being ok with me and one or two girl friends spending so much time in the woods, but in all reality, I work in insurance and I see how many die in cars. My husband is an odd one for putting up with me and my gear testing/hoarding. Maybe yours will come around in time.

Journal Entries

That's what I'm hoping
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

Thanks Swisscoss though! That was awesome reading and good reminders.

Journal Entries

I survived! And it was such a wonderful trip! I cannot believe that I waited this long to go solo.

Night one, I stayed at backcountry site #2 at Oak Mountain State Park. This was a nostalgic move on my part because this also happens to be where I spent my first ever night backpacking at the tender age of 16 with two of my girl friends and my German Shepherd Dog. Man has my gear come a long way since that three person tent and Navajo blanket! The night was peaceful, introspective, and confidence building. I may have been there with lighter gear and a younger dog but, I promise, I could still hear the laughter of that trip 8 years ago ringing in the trees.

Night two, I went to the backcountry site #4. I was joined by a friend of mine from over at the hammock forums. We had a great night of laughter, smores, and campfire talk. There was also the required gear comparisons and note making. I love to learn from other hikers what has worked for them and hopefully, they are able to see things in my setup that will benefit them.

Ladies, if you have been contemplating taking a solo trip but have been nervous about it, I highly encourage you to just go. Be smart about it and go somewhere you are comfortable and familiar with but, go. just go. I cannot believe it took me so long to do this. I came back 10xs more confident in my gear and myself.

I just did my first solo trip too, a little over a month ago, followed by a second one the next weekend and a third last weekend. I have my dogs which helps, but it was definitely an amazing experience. I loved most of it...just got bored in camp when I got done too early and my body couldn't hike any further

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I just did my first solo trip too, a little over a month ago, followed by a second one the next weekend and a third last weekend. I have my dogs which helps, but it was definitely an amazing experience. I loved most of it...just got bored in camp when I got done too early and my body couldn't hike any further
    I hear you! I took the weight penalty of two books.

Listened to music this last time. I would have taken longer to get to camp but I was misled about the water situation amd needed to get to the creek...after that I couldn't hike any further. I have books on my phone but I always find I can't concentrate on them in the back-country...it's the one time I actually WANT company...at camp!

Journal Entries

Listened to music this last time. I would have taken longer to get to camp but I was misled about the water situation amd needed to get to the creek...after that I couldn't hike any further. I have books on my phone but I always find I can't concentrate on them in the back-country...it's the one time I actually WANT company...at camp!
    Haha well isn't that just human nature at times?

Survived? You have arrived!

Great choice for your first solo evening.
    Limited access, gate shuts down at dark and close to home.

I have day hiked all the trails at OMSP but I am not familiar with their campsite numbering system.
    Do you happen to have a link for the campsite numbers?

Need to get back out with my daughter and introduce my oldest daughter (whom has shown no interest in sleeping in the woods).
    You have inspired me to take another look at camping at Oak Mt.

Glad the trip went well! I recently started doing weekend solo trips and it's been awesome. The first time I was very nervous about being alone because of bears (I had seen a bear from my car the day before my trip, yikes) but it all went well and I've gotten more confident each time. As the thru-hiker bubble continues to pass through my area in VA, I've found somewhat ironically that solo camping trips in the mountains have been my most social evenings in months! I've met lots of interesting people each time, and there's something about a campfire that makes conversation with strangers feel so much less nerve-wracking for shy little me.

Yesterday I got back from a few nights on the AT in the Grayson Highlands area and saw a lot of section hikers and scout/youth/family groups as well as the thru-hikers. Thru-hikers are never surprised to see a girl out hiking alone but this weekend I had two different men (one boy scout leader and one father with his sons) tell me that if I was their daughter, they would never let me do what I was doing. They were very kind and protective toward me each evening around camp and I know they were well-meaning, but still. I'm glad I'm not their daughter!

Generally I am a little more nervous in the back country by myself because of bears, but since I have recently had to get a protection order against my next-door neighbor...I feel much safer in the back country than I do at home!!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Survived? You have arrived!

Great choice for your first solo evening.
    Limited access, gate shuts down at dark and close to home.

I have day hiked all the trails at OMSP but I am not familiar with their campsite numbering system.
    Do you happen to have a link for the campsite numbers?

Need to get back out with my daughter and introduce my oldest daughter (whom has shown no interest in sleeping in the woods).
    You have inspired me to take another look at camping at Oak Mt.
    Close to home was the driving factor. I had some things to handle at the office, delaying my departure. I don't have a link and neither does the website. If you have a map, the backcountry sites are the little campfire emblems. My desire was to just make one big, lazy loop of the place but, they will not let you get a site ahead of time so I had to hike the few miles to my site Friday night, hike back out the next morning to the campground office, and get my site pass for Sunday night. All in all, it's nice. With some planning, I could make a pretty decent loop in regards to mileage with some creative parking and thought.

Journal Entries

KnightErrant, I hear you. I couldn't imagine my dad ever suggest I not do something based on my gender. Much less not "let" me do it. I appreciate a good gentleman, don't get me wrong but, last I checked my legs hike just as efficiently. Lol

Journal Entries

Generally I am a little more nervous in the back country by myself because of bears, but since I have recently had to get a protection order against my next-door neighbor...I feel much safer in the back country than I do at home!!!
    I can totally understand your sentiment. I get more nervous walking down the street sometimes than I do out hiking alone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++