WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer Section Hike - November 2016

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum here so forgive me if this post is a bit redundant. I'm thinking about doing a section of the AT starting at springer around thanksgiving time. I would like to do 5-7 days out there if possible. I'm from South FL so my plan would be to fly into Atlanta, rent a car and drive from there. I read a post from last year about springer in November:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ksgiving-Break

Considering the content of the above referenced post i'll need to be prepared for anything. As I mentioned earlier in the post I'm from South FL and have very limited experience with the cold. Any advice on how to pack and handle a trip like this would be great!

Thanks in advance!!!

Journal Entries

Youll have a decent weather forecast about a week ahead of time.
    It could be 45F at night, or it could be 25F.
    It could be dry and lovely, or life threatening 33F and rain.

Last yr we had a very warm dry fall, I guess thats called indian summer. Cold wet weather really didnt show up till Dec. I made a fall trip up to Grayson Highlands just to get out and get a few days in out there, and it was p-p-packed with people in mid Nov, even with a 17F overnight low. But splendid sunny weather. Daytime temps in 30s-50s minimal ice patches.

In any case, plan for 20-25F lows worst case and youll be good. Tons of places in GA to bail if weather turns nasty, and practically continuous cell with Verizon. You can call a shuttler from any road crossing to come get you, so no worries.

Just cross fingers and hope weather is great.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-17-2016 at 16:58.

I did that hike a couple years ago. From Amicalola to Dick's Creek Gap, the week of Thanksgiving, starting the Saturday before Thanksgiving. 8.8 mile approach trail plus 69.6 AT miles, for a total of 78.4 for the week. The weather was nice... mostly. Sunday, it rained all day (off and on), so we did 13 miles in the rain...after that, it was great until we woke up Thursday morning to light snow flurries and hiked in chilly weather to Tray Mountain Shelter - the temperature seemed to drop all day - the privy at Tray Mountain Shelter (iirc) had no roof, so I got that wonderful experience. lol. That night the temperatures dropped into the upper teens and I was uncomfortably and perhaps dangerously cold all night - unprepared or under equipped.
    That was when I decided to spend money on a sleeping bag that would keep me warm on the random cold night. A 10 or 15 degree bag would be sufficient for most people, but I'm a cold sleeper and went with a 0 degree bag just to be safe. It's heavier and bulkier, but I WONT be cold again.
    I do have Verizon, but even the mighty Verizon doesn't work everywhere - so plan ahead if you are going to call for a shuttle back to your car. Dick's creek gap has no cell reception.

Prepare for some very long dark nights. Bring a book or plan some entertainment around the campfire in the evenings to kill some time.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Other than warm clothing and a sleeping bag is there any special gear outside of the usual stuff I should have?

Thanks!

Perhaps some gloves... but if the extended forecast isn't calling for cold nights, you can skip them... and if a cold front comes through on the last day of your hike, you can use a pair of socks as mittens.

I spent a night into the teens between Tray Mtn Shelter and Dick's Creek in a Marmot 20F bag, FWIW. You could see temps so pack a good back and a long base layer, good jacket. Gloves are great, esp for the start of your hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

If this were me, I'd be sure I brought the following:

15-20 degree bag
    rain pants/jacket
    base layer top/bottom
    puffy down jacket
    fleece jacket/pullover
    gloves (wet hands are cold hands)
    buff (for wind as you ascend/descend mountains)
    lightweight double-wall 3-season tent (stay dry with little condensation)
    canister stove (fast and better in cold than alcohol)

This may be obvious, but the days are pretty short that time of year. Be aware of how far you need to go before it gets dark. It will be dark early. The good thing is, you will probably be hitting the hay early, and a full nights sleep will have you awake early, and able to get a nice start in the mornings. I am not a morning person due to years of second and third shift work, but when you go to bed at 8:30, a good nights sleep will have you up, eaten and packed and on the trail around first light. I love the woods in winter, the views are spectacular. Also plan on taking a good break at Mtn Crossings, nice place to take a break.

++ New Posts ++