Default Hiking in the rain/thunderstorms

If rain/ thunderstorms are in the forecast, what would you recommend, knowing that there is only a small time frame for the hike and it has been planned for months in advance:

Avoid at all costs or go anyway?

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Definitely go

Go anyway, but be prepared to be dumped on. That means carry adequate rain gear for the temperature you are expecting. This can mean a Goretex{R} jacket (if cold) or a rain-proof poncho.
    Your socks & shoes WILL get soaked, so just learn to live with it. Your inside will eventually get soaked as well (either from a leaky poncho or from sweat), but this is why you wear wool socks and shirts (NEVER cotton!!!).
    You might have to stop periodically, waiting out the worst of a storm either at a (1) shelter or (2) a place you can sit while you let your poncho keep you RELATIVELY dry.

Lightning is usually not a problem UNLESS you are on an high, exposed area. That's one of the times that discretion is DEFINITELY the better part of valor; be prepared to not proceed in those cases.

Journal Entries

Since this isnt particularly gender related,
    I will say that sooner or later, if you want to hike you will have to accept hiking in rain.
    Its part of mother natures glory.

There is a difference between a few thunderstorms , and severe weather system thats really hazardous.
    You will need to assess and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-17-2016 at 22:59.

I have always chosen to pitch a tent if the weather turns sour for an extended period. I find that torrential rain and sleep just simply go together.

OkeefenokeeJoe

I usually go. At one time I was very mentally negative complaining much about the rain and getting wet in an AT related 4 days of rain hike. A fellow AT hiker seeing I was having trouble mentally helped me out saying: “Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    Vivian Greene

It really hit home. Next day I literally danced down the trail in the rain. Must have seemed like I need a straight jacket to some but I didn't care. Now, I have a different attitude about hiking in the rain intentionally finding ways to recognize the beauty and necessity of rain. I've learned to mentally appreciate dancing in the rain. It helps that I have about 15 uplifting positive takes of rain songs on a Mp3 player. Start your rain music list today to help you out mentally.

What everyone said: plus, I found out I want my head, hands, ankles, and knees warm.

How to keep head and hands warm should be obvious. Ankles:gaiters. Knees:rain skirt.

I also like the HeartFire Rain Hood to keep rain from soaking the pack shoulder straps and getting the wet into my back and shoulders and into my backpack by way of the shoulder straps.

I wear eyeglasses, and so I like to wear a Sou'Wester style hat with the back brim of the hat around front.

One time only, I was wearing my brothers Filson's wool shirt-jacket. I noticed water beaded up into water droplets on the ends of the wool fibers. I was cozy warm and comfortable, and had a breatheable jacket, while everyone else was getting bone-chilled cold.

Once wet, however, it will not dry-out until you are home again or hang it overnight or more, in warm lodgings. I can recommend lined British Ventile cloth jacket for more extertion, and once wet-out, for hang-dry overnight.

I have worn a waxed-cotton fisherman's shorty jacket and rain skirt (over pants).

To compliment a rain poncho, I have also worn suspenders, and open the front of my trousers to ventilate to keep from getting too warm (avoiding perspiration, because when you stop, you quickly get much colder).

Hand-me-down menswear from my brother? Explanation: Pacific Northwest rain and cold.
    Last edited by Connie; 06-18-2016 at 03:51.

I would say go anyway. You just never really know if you're going to get soaked out there day to day. Plus that adds to the experience, good or bad. Once I got totally soaked(1st 7 or 8 days straight on my thru attempt), it almost became an "oh well, what can you do" moment, and I just pressed on. Just be prepared if there's lightning in the area and know what to do, otherwise go have some fun.
    - Trail name: Thumper

You should hike in the rain for the same reason you should go on a night hike. Its just a different experience. You'll see different things and see things in a different way.

thanks everyone!

Journal Entries

I say go. It really can be beautiful in an eerie sort of way but, so refreshing.

Like everyone else said, wool socks and decent rain gear. Stay warm and think through your cooking situation. This is where a solo stove can be tricky in terms of finding dry fuel so have a backup. Be aware that any water crossings could be potentially more dangerous than usual and bear caution.

Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rain is a mental thing it's not so bad for a couple days. If you have the right attitude and prepare by bringing gear that can be set up in the rain. It's no big deal. Stay off of open mountain tops and enjoy your trip. As long as you can sleep dry you will can have a great time.

As a scout leader my troop like to hike in the rain. Most have switched to hammocks so setting up and eating under a tarp is no problem in the rain.

++ New Posts ++