Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Going to be A brutal Florida summer /.....

Man I think it is going to be hotter than usual this summer even by florida standards.
    Who else has packe dup there gear until fall rolls around again.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

High of 94 in northern NH today, could be a brutally hot summer all the way up here too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Cotton picking global warming.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    High of 94 in northern NH today, could be a brutally hot summer all the way up here too.
    Wow, what a difference up there, from two weeks ago, huh?

look at it on the bright side. you could be in say Phoenix Arizona where temps are nearing 115 F in the shade!

Quite a diff from five or six weeks ago... Just shy of 90 here in the Boston burbs.

I usually do a modest (for me) hike of 8-10 miles every Saturday. I'm still recovering an ankle but this past weekend I managed two 5 mile walks, Saturday and Sunday . I also walk 2.25 miles daily.

Sizzling 68 deg on the Maine coast today. Perfect hiking weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the stuff up as soon as the flies pick up, late April. Thank goodness the mountains are only a day's drive away. Heading there this weekend.

Images

With the later sunset, I've taken to hitting the trail around 430 in the PM and hiking and/or trail running just past dark. It's still hot and buggy but there is never anyone out there. Camping is out of the question though. If I wanted to stay up all night drenched in sweat, I'd stay home and turn the AC off.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Flying to Portland in just a few weeks to hike the PCT Washington, then back home briefly to prepare some more food boxes, then off to complete the northern half of the AT. Man am I glad I decided four years ago to pull a reverse Atlas Shrugged (where the peons instead of the corporate welfare queens go on strike).

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah I myself have been doing later and earlier hikes.
    Makes camping and overnights really hard though with the bugs and humidity.
    I just did A back country clean up mission in ozello keys the last few days and the mosquitoes were brutal,.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Still getting out (east central Fla) to evercise. But lots o' DEET is called for.
    Next Feb. Ocala, in the meantime, come on fall!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Went on a day hike from HP trail head to HP. Not as bad as I was expecting. Temp was about 94 on US 19 but at least 5-6 degrees cooler at trail head. No ticks picked up although my hiking clothes, shoes were treated with permethrin. Many more tracks on the trail in the summer; deer, coyote, turkey, coons, some dilla diggings. Saw deer and wabbits. Bugs were not that bad, heat/humidity was more of a problem although I had plenty of h2O.

Some fool dumped a bunch of renovation junk at Pat's landing. din't see a soul on this trip. Only the occasional airplane broke the sounds of nature. May have to rethink not going out during the summer as, aside from the heat, it was a very enjoyable hike. Not too sure I would do an overnighter in these thmps, though.

Images

Been hitting the trail SW of Ocala every evening for a walk or easy run. Due to time constraints we've had to go around 4pm and it's been brutal...heat and deer flies. I hate deer flies...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Deer flies just want to be friends. .. Hello "friend", try this <smack!> on for size.

On a serious note almost any kind of light branch swishing around your head (tied to your pack strap, etc.) seems to keep them at bay. DEET on the legs of course.

Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    ...almost any kind of light branch swishing around your head (tied to your pack strap, etc.) seems to keep them at bay...

I will have to give that a try!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I did not have a problem with deer flies on the trail. At the trailheads, well, they seem to know that's where the bait hangs out.

I switch from backpacking to canoeing in late April or May and then back to backpacking around October. I just don't have any fun being hot and sweaty all day...at least if I'm on the river I can cool down by going for a swim.

Did an overnighter out at hidden pond weekend before last. Bug report: Mosquitoes, still semi-bad. Ticks, didn't get any. Flies, very few. People, yes, including a group who thought they were the only ones out there and could make as much noise as they wanted, all night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++