WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Images

And ... we're OFF to the airport in a few minutes!!! See y'all in a couple of weeks! (Though I hope to be able to sign on once or twice during while in Maine.)
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

At Stratton Motel. First week has gone pretty much as planned. Undecided about taking planned ZERO tomorrow or making it a NERO. Good weather so far! Tough mountains, but doable at our daily mileage. Did pass where Inchworm went missing and paid respects.

THANKS to Teacher for the shuttling!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Have a good hike RainMan

Hey RainMan! AT Gracie here. It was good to meet you out on the trail in Stratton, Maine today!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Hey RainMan! AT Gracie here. It was good to meet you out on the trail in Stratton, Maine today!
    AMEN ... so nice to run across so many nice AT folks! I sent a PM to ATGracie yesterday. Was that you?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    AMEN ... so nice to run across so many nice AT folks!
    In just the few short hours we interacted with others on the trip up we met myriad hikers and it was a blast! You're making me jealous here, RM....SO wish I could be out there with you guys. Oh well, this hobblety-hiker will see you soon in Caratunk
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Hi, all. I'm in Andover at The Cabin, well fed, showered, and feeling restored. Somehow I made it through Mahoosic Notch and the Arm, the latter after an all-night rainstorm. It was like swimming upstream. Everything is beautiful, but the hiking is really tough.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Hi, all. I'm in Andover at The Cabin, well fed, showered, and feeling restored. Somehow I made it through Mahoosic Notch and the Arm, the latter after an all-night rainstorm. It was like swimming upstream. Everything is beautiful, but the hiking is really tough.
    Way to go Tiptoe! I've been waiting to hear how you're doing and was getting ready to start text-bombing you to find out! Glad you made it through some of the tough stuff. Keep me posted on your progress please (I worry).
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Zero day for me today, and it's raining. How lucky is that? No text bombing, pls, but I promise to pm you when I get to Rangeley, Stratton, and Caratunk.

Zero day for me today, and it's raining. How lucky is that? No text bombing, pls, but I promise to pm you when I get to Rangeley, Stratton, and Caratunk.
    Hi Tiptoe - we crossed in the parking lot at Grafton Notch. Congrats on your crossing! I'm also zeroing - but in Hanover at Stoney Brook. Ready to tackle Old Spec tomorrow enroute to Gorham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

egilbe, Rain Man wants to know if you'll be on time for lunch tomorrow

You guys do know that ATT does not really work in the mountains in Maine

It was good to meet you and Rainman and MamaBear at Caratunk B&B. Such good burgers and the sea of orange shirts was pretty funny. Perfectly good weather. The GF and I walked down to the Ferry to watch some hikers cross and lo and behold, the Ferryman was a High School classmate I haven't seen since graduation 36 years ago. So of the 69 residents of Caratunk, I knew three.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah egilbe, I'm aware of the AT&T shortcomings, but we thought we'd take a chance. It was great meeting you too, and hanging with you and enjoying cheeseburgers and shakes was a wonderful culmination of the adventure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    It was good to meet you and Rain Man and Mama Bear at Caratunk B&B. Such good burgers and the sea of orange shirts was pretty funny. Perfectly good weather. The GF and I walked down to the Ferry to watch some hikers cross and lo and behold, the Ferryman was a High School classmate I haven't seen since graduation 36 years ago. So of the 69 residents of Caratunk, I knew three.
    Hey! What's so funny about a sea of orange shirts?!!! ~wink~ It was great to meet you, the GF, and the folks at Caratunk House. That cheeseburger was great! Will be posting a photo album later this week.

BTW, that ferryman lives two hours away, not in Caratunk. He comes up on weekends with his wife.

Rain Man

There are several "ferryman", I found out. The one we spoke with Sunday morning lives around the bend in the river. He rowed his boat over from his place. His commute was a rowboat ride. Mike wasn't using the canoe. When they are expecting high, fast water, like simultaneous releases from the dams on the Dead and Kennebec, they use the rowboat. I should have taken a picture.

Rainman and Mama Bear, glad to here you reached Caratunk in one piece. Me, I'm in Rangeley now, enjoying a zero. The trails up here can really wear one down, so I'm living up to my trail name, taking it slow and careful. I've actually developed a certain fondness for roots, not the ones on the trail, but the ones alongside the rock slabs. They make excellent hand-holds and even steps. Heading out tomorrow for Saddleback and points north.

Journal Entries
    Images

Rainman and Mama Bear, glad to here you reached Caratunk in one piece. Me, I'm in Rangeley now, enjoying a zero. The trails up here can really wear one down, so I'm living up to my trail name, taking it slow and careful. I've actually developed a certain fondness for roots, not the ones on the trail, but the ones alongside the rock slabs. They make excellent hand-holds and even steps. Heading out tomorrow for Saddleback and points north.
    Glad to see the check-in Tiptoe! Please be uber careful on the mud bridges leaving Rangeley. I came to grief getting my foot caught in one of them, and the last thing you need is a broken ankle! If you get the chance, stop in at Harrison's Pierce Pond Cabins....you'll love it! Happy hiking!

Images

Rain Man and Mama Bear, glad to here you reached Caratunk in one piece. Me, I'm in Rangeley now, enjoying a zero. The trails up here can really wear one down...
    Ain't that the truth! Rugged climbs and descents, one after another. But those do end with the Bigelows! Be careful and keep on tiptoeing!

DITTO what Teacher posted.

Rain Man

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Ain't that the truth! Rugged climbs and descents, one after another. But those do end with the Bigelows! Be careful and keep on tiptoeing!

DITTO what Teacher posted.

Rain Man
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the steep up and downs doesnt end with the Bigelows :-)

Barren/Chairback/Whitecap ranges are still pretty brutal. After...that, its not bad...until Katahdin ;-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the steep up and downs doesnt end with the Bigelows :-)
    Well, I was speaking of the back-to-back-to-back climbs/descents. The remaining mountains are pretty much each to itself, correct?

Please tell me correct! LOL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++