WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    This trail in Zion National Park spooked me a bit. My wife had no problem with it.
    What trail is that? Planning a Zion trip next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    What trail is that? Planning a Zion trip next summer.
    Sorry, can't remember, that trip was a looong time ago. I know for sure it's not Angel's Landing, I have plenty of pix of that also.

Sorry, can't remember, that trip was a looong time ago. I know for sure it's not Angel's Landing, I have plenty of pix of that also.
    Thank goodness, I want to hike AL but no I could do that.

Angel's landing, the top of it, was worse. Vertigo-wise, that is. I skipped the very top, it was too much.

I am very afraid of heights, but being in the Army for six years helped me deal with that fear, and still accomplish the mission. Airborne School, Air Assault School, Jungle Warfare School (some steep hills in Panama), and then of course, Beer-Ex 97 in Bavaria. Six weeks of beer drinking and mountain climbing with a German Mountain Infantry battalion. The photo is of me, after scaling the cliff face behind me, and then rappelling down.

34670033.JPG

10th Mountain Division?

Yessir. /10char

Images

I get the wobbles, too. Just keep doing stuff and you'll develop coping strategies. The more you do things that unnerve you...and don't die...the easier it gets. It helps to treat scary spots like river fords: maintain three points of contact, moving one pole or foot at a time while the others are securely planted. I routinely carry MicroSpikes if I expect to encounter snow, and wear them even when other people don't.

My hike yesterday involved traversing a few steep snow fields (nothing dangerous, or not very) and traversing a narrow trail on a big scree slope. I focused on placing my feet safely, shut out my peripheral vision until I was in a place that felt secure to me, and went for it. It was a beautiful day.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

This trail in Zion National Park spooked me a bit. My wife had no problem with it.
    Holy crap! I could do it. My husband absolutely could not. But I would be very deliberate with each step and praying no snake was out sunbathing on the trail.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Angel's landing, the top of it, was worse. Vertigo-wise, that is. I skipped the very top, it was too much.
    At least I will be able to enjoy the narrows....unless rain is expected.....hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    "The wobbles." I love that!!!
    And remember, wobbles weeble but they don't fall down. But seriously, try using trekking poles. Along with the physical benefits, they may give you a sense of grounded-ness that may help with the anxiety.

I was okay with mountainclimbing, up or down. I have never been okay, with an edge or a precipice.

I know hiking poles help with balance, but if I do not feel up to walking a curbstone, as I age, I will avoid all edges or precipice.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I was okay with mountainclimbing, up or down. I have never been okay, with an edge or a precipice.

I know hiking poles help with balance, but if I do not feel up to walking a curbstone, as I age, I will avoid all edges or precipice.
    The Bavarian Alps were a lot of narrow switchbacks in long sections up each mountain. Once you passed the timberline, it was almost invariably pretty narrow paths, often with a steep drop to one side, and a steep facing upwards on the other side of you. I didn't like any of them, but I made it, and once I got to the top, it was an awesome feeling. Most of those trails there are very established and highly maintained, well it seemed that way to me. We almost always busted our own trails during training, so this was a welcome respite.

Journal Entries

I to have a fear of heights and occasionally I'll get into a situation where it's terrifying. I then wake up and turn a bit and go back to sleep. There’s not much on the AT to worry about.

Journal Entries

Stratton Fire Tower in Vermont got to me last Fall. Something about the wind, the swaying of the tower and above tree line vistas. I tried twice and had to go back down. Never had problems with fire towers until Stratton. My wife had a good chuckle watching my attempts from the top!

Images

the ledges on Mt Race in Massachusetts were a little scary in a few spots!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

I,,,,,,, sort of understand, I am TERRIFIED of heights, , but as I'm weird, I happen to like the feeling! The higher & more sketchy the better. Still scares the crap out of me, but the adrenaline rush makes up for that.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

My fear of heights was worse before I started hiking. Hiking has actually helped somehow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++