WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a 48" chest and use a EE reg/wide. It is 58" at top and 42" at foot box. I use a 25x78x3.5" BA QcoreSL pad. With the straps clinched down, I am able to flip from side to side with out causing drafts.

Really hard to beat an EE quilt if your willing to spend the money. Very light and very well made.

If money is a concern, a synthetic quilt would be your next best option imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    This quilt is 48 inches wide. I am wondering if that is wide enough since I sleep on my side and have a 58 inch girth around my shoulders. Is it wide enough for side sleepers?

I've found the Stealth plenty wide to side sleep....and no waiting...its ready to ship.

I use this bag in the summer. It is good for down to 40 degrees. It is very light. Honestly, sometimes I just lay it over me quilt style and it is still warm. http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ries/mitylite/
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Hammock Gear Burrow 40
    http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-40/

I have the Burrow 20

I have the Underground quilt, 40 deg wide long. I like to pull it up over my head and side sleep. I've never bothered with the straps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    This quilt is 48 inches wide. I am wondering if that is wide enough since I sleep on my side and have a 58 inch girth around my shoulders. Is it wide enough for side sleepers?
    Huh, I sleep on my side with it all the time. I have broad shoulders, wear a 44-Long sport coat, and use the wide Western Mountaineering bags, and the Shenandoah Quilt works just fine for me on both back and side. But of course that doesn't insure that it will work for you.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I currently use the Mountain Hardwear 35/50 Flip bag, but it's about 29oz and I think I can save some weight. I don't want a liner. I like having the bag. Anyone have any suggestions for a summer bag under 29oz that can handle temps between 50-70f?
    I use a 50-degree-rated sleeping quilt in summer and it's way lighter than what you are talking about. 12 ounces, actually.
    This is the one I have: http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-50/
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I use a 50-degree-rated sleeping quilt in summer and it's way lighter than what you are talking about. 12 ounces, actually.
    This is the one I have: http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-50/
    +1

For temps like that, even for those who aren't normally quilt users, get one for warm weather fer cryin' out loud—29oz is crazy heavy. My EE Rev 50 is 11.3oz. Lots of MUCH lighter choices from the cottage gear guys, and the prices can be quite reasonable. Comparatively easy way to lop off more than a pound of weight!

How about a top quilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chattanooga, TN -An awesome town to live in

For this time of the year, I just use a fleece blanket. Just folded it over and had the wife sew the bottom up and about a foot and a half up the side just where there's enough of a pocket so my feet won't slide out.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I use an Underground Quilts Flight Jacket 50F, and love it. That 50F Revelation looks great, and beats mine by 1.5-2oz for the size, though it costs more.
    I wouldn't hesitate to either buy my UGQ again, the EE or something similar.
    My 50F was a great purchase. It sees about the same amount of use as my 30F in the field, but also gets used at home and sometimes in hotels. I even paired the two once when playing around at lower temps, and was good to go on a 4F night(though YMMV on that one if less than an exceptionally warm sleeper!).

+1 I use the Underground Quilt 50º Flight Jacket 10.35 oz no Sac (11.05 if used) $199 +10 Shipping. Argon is one of the layers and maybe should have used on both sides. Lightest weight quilt with 850 fill I could find. Wouldn't trade it for anything because it gets used a great deal. Have used it as a flight jacket as well. Want to also use it in conjunction with my HG 20º Burrow but haven't had the chance yet. I returned a 14 oz $55 Thermarest Liner that I used once before going with this quilt.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Meant to put this in my original post - but here is a link to my UGQ 50º Flight Jacket (if interested):

http://youtu.be/YXaKXkOFGZ8
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I have been using the WM highlite for 2 summers now. I love it, I just looked it up though and I am surprised that it weighs in at a lbs. I was certain It was prolly closer to 10-12 oz. Still, keeps me warm on cool summer nights, but can be opened up during hot nights.

I ran into this crazy gorgeous redhead on the trail that uses a super light quilt,(either enlightened or FF), and always has her puffy with her as a possible layer.

My sleeping bag experience is not as vast as others just due to my age, but I have tested the following and love both companies

WM Antelope 5* bag
    WM Highlite 35* Bag-I really don't feel that this bag is good down to 35*. I would say more like...DEAD of summer, 50+ deg

Montbell spiral series of any Deg rating. I own 3, 15* long, a ul 15* and a 35*. Love them all.

I also have just a fleece square bag but rarely use it.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

+1 for the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 30* in the summer (yes...with puffy or fleece for backup, as I am insanely cold blooded, as many ex boyfriends will confirm).

I'm a side sleeper and find it plenty big, but I'm not huge myself (but also not small?) so YMMV. I got it as a garage sale quilt, so I found the price and ship times exceptionally amenable.

I have never opened it up all the way because I like having a foot trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat that you are in. My problem with ordering an EE quilt is I feel like summer would be over by the time it gets here! I know that this isn't the most UL option, but this is something that has caught my eye. The PureDown blanket on Amazon comes in at 18oz I believe and packs up pretty small (from what others have said). If 18oz is still on the heavy side (it is pushing it for what I want) I may try and bust out my sewing machine and taper it a bit at the feet.

https://www.amazon.com/Puredown-Wate...words=puredown

Anyone else have any hands on with this blanket?

Quote Originally Posted by troutalope View Post
    I am in the same boat that you are in. My problem with ordering an EE quilt is I feel like summer would be over by the time it gets here! I know that this isn't the most UL option, but this is something that has caught my eye. The PureDown blanket on Amazon comes in at 18oz I believe and packs up pretty small (from what others have said). If 18oz is still on the heavy side (it is pushing it for what I want) I may try and bust out my sewing machine and taper it a bit at the feet.

If you go that route- https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Milit...y+poncho+liner
    A poncho liner is a full quilted version of Primaloft- about the same weight/warmth as a Patagonia Nano-puff (55* or so rating)- they work pretty well and could be trimmed or sewn into a quilt as well.

You don't want a waterproof sleeping piece for insulation (the Puredown thingy)
    75% down is generously 500 fill power, so 5 ounces times 500 is 2500 CUIN.
    Listed as 50"x70" or 3500 SQ IN. 2500/3500= .7 or if you're lucky about 5/8" thick with the quilting about 3/8" of loft average.

Realistically that is too low to provide a rating, but is more or less a basic cotton bedsheet.

Which is actually a decent thing to use in the summer (60* and up)... if you cut one up and hem it (you mentioned sewing) into a quilt shape you'd have an 8-12 ounce summer quilt that would need a bit of airing out each day at lunch time- but is quite fine in the summer- double fine if you can find a cotton poly blended sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by troutalope View Post

It's listed as only 70" long. Too short for a six footer like me. Something to think about if you are tall.

70" long. Too short for a six-footer like me.

http://www.target.com/p/room-essenti...t/-/A-13521110

No idea on weight- but for 13 bucks you get enough fabric to make two single layers or a double layer quilt.
    If you wanted a no-sew option you could simply use a few safety pins to make a footbox.

Just as good as a Sea to summit liner and probably fine to around 60* depending on how cold you sleep. If you stopped at a Jo-ann fabric or similiar you could pick up some cheap ripstop and add a shell layer. A bedsheet and nylon shell (to cut any heat loss from breeze) should get you into the 60's easy. If you picked up a 100wt fleece and put a cheap nylon shell on one side you'd probably be into the 50's for well under $20.

Even now we take regular bed sheets for summer camping around here... when it's 60-70 at night just having anything is often enough.

Images

As a hiker of short sections, for that 50 to 70 temperature range I used a fleece blanket.
    It was simple, cheap, light, and kept me warm enough.
    Then we got to Vermont and I started carrying my sleeping bag.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++