WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Question UL summer bag suggestions?

I currently use the Mountain Hardwear 35/50 Flip bag, but it's about 29oz and I think I can save some weight. I don't want a liner. I like having the bag. Anyone have any suggestions for a summer bag under 29oz that can handle temps between 50-70f?

Never used this but...

How about the Sea2Summit Traveller bag?

I have a POS down quilt that I picked up from Costo for 20 dollars that gets me down to 60 degrees with clothes.

Not sure what your budget is. I've had a WM Summerlite for about 8 years now. 32* rating (and I'm comfortable at that temperature), and the regular size weighs 19 ounces. Fantastic 3 season bag that stuffs down to almost nothing.

Not what you asked for, but maybe an option

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

11ozs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post

11ozs
    +1. This is what I use.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Garlic
    Images

11ozs
    +2. Best piece of outdoor gear I've bought in decades.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

+1 on the WM Summerlite. Although for your temperature range, 50-70, I would be sleeping with a t-shirt and only part way in the bag.

Full disclosure, I am very biased to quilts.

Other than light weight, small package, the best advantage of a quilt is it's versatility over a wide temperature range, especially medium to higher ambient temps.

Some sort of lightweight synthetic or down quilt. If tight for money, try a poncho liner.

Agreed with the folks above. For 50-70, a quilt wins. Lots of choices from the hammock cottage companies.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

11ozs
    Perfect. I've been planning to upgrade my winter bag to one of these, I just didn't remember they also had higher temp ratings. 11oz is stellar.

EE has some hellish long lead times, at least that's what they publish. I emailed them, typically Tyler responds, with my need date and they were able to accommodate it.

I bought a Jacks R Better Stealth quilt for summer...used 3 times so far and its been perfect.

Quilt for sure. I have a 40* ZPacks that I have used down into the 40s and loved it. Have not tried it in warmer weather yet.

I use an Underground Quilts Flight Jacket 50F, and love it. That 50F Revelation looks great, and beats mine by 1.5-2oz for the size, though it costs more.
    I wouldn't hesitate to either buy my UGQ again, the EE or something similar.
    My 50F was a great purchase. It sees about the same amount of use as my 30F in the field, but also gets used at home and sometimes in hotels. I even paired the two once when playing around at lower temps, and was good to go on a 4F night(though YMMV on that one if less than an exceptionally warm sleeper!).

Images

I very much like my Jacks R Better Shenandoah Quilt, which is currently on sale for an excellent price. Been using it for several years, in my hammock and on the ground. Worked well both in the South and on a Long Trail thru.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

50F synthetic quilt

Going to add another vote for EE. I have the Convert, which they are currently not manufacturing, but the quality and choice for customization is amazing. Customer Servixe was also top notch. Highly recommend especially for the price and quality.

I bought a cheap sleeping bag off of Ebay. Weighs 23.5 ounces and compresses down to
    the size of a cantaloupe with the compression sack. Unzips to flat if you want to use it as
    a quilt. I used it last week in Pa. tenting at Tom's Run Shelter, got down to low to mid 60's
    and I was fine. I had it open like a quilt on an air mattress. Less than $25 with shipping. The
    orange is cheaper than the blue if you're a penny pincher like me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-E...GnJoQLsH2IhEAA

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I very much like my Jacks R Better Shenandoah Quilt, which is currently on sale for an excellent price. Been using it for several years, in my hammock and on the ground. Worked well both in the South and on a Long Trail thru.
    This quilt is 48 inches wide. I am wondering if that is wide enough since I sleep on my side and have a 58 inch girth around my shoulders. Is it wide enough for side sleepers?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++