WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by doingtime View Post
    I did a 2.5 hour training hike today at a local park with my dog. I have listened to the comments here and made sure I was more aware of other people and their feelings. I let her off leash when we were alone (and we were a lot as I hiked some horse trails). Only encountered a few people and I leashed her up immediately upon seeing them. Saw a few horses and did the same thing.

Long story short we had a fabulous hike and being cognizant of others helped me make sure we did not bother anyone. I think this is the perfect balance. My dog is a great trail dog, and she had a blast!
    While it seems like you are trying to be considerate of others which is a good thing. I have to wonder if that local park does not require leashes at all times. I live a small state and all the local and state parks require leashes unless you are in the actual dog park areas.

So if your local park is similar, why wouldn't you just obey the law and use a leash the whole time you are in the park? If no leashes are required, but now you better control your dog when others are around, it sounds like you have really gotten a much better attitude towards other hikers and I congratulate you for that.

Journal Entries

I am a dog owner and LOVER. That said, I have a Texas Heeler pup (9mos) that is the sweetest little angel you ever did see. I have taken her on day hikes at Kennesaw Mountain several times and she absolutely LOVED it. She is on a 6ft leash at all times with no exception, but she was approached by little kids, big kids, adults of every shape size and color with all manner of gear, as well as other dogs from pit bulls/mastifs to chiwawas (sp?) and never so much as a low growl or even a scared expression. just happy and sweet and lovey. She never made any attempt to approach anyone or anything without explicit invitation and permission from whoever is holding the leash. Just really a great trail dog.... we thought.

We went on a long weekend to hike the PMT a few weeks ago and brought her along, knowing she would love it. Turns out... she did not love it. She hated carrying a pack on her back, so we ending up having to lug it around for her ourselves. Then, she began to act aggressively toward other people. She was never out of our physical control for so much as a second, but had not that not been the case, several people would have been bitten. I would have bet real money that that never would have happened before this trip. lesson learned. She is a dayhike (at best) dog going forward, and if she acts out in the future there, she won't go back on the trail at all. Honestly, I think she was just scared and confused, as this was a huge change from her normal routine/life. Regardless, she doesn't belong out there. Yes, to protect all others, but also because obviously, she wasn't enjoying it. Why would I put her through it if it makes her unhappy. Dogs that bite or act out in any way are not happy. And also because it was like carrying a toddler, carrying her stuff for her. Too much trouble.

At home later, she is back to being the sweetest thing you've ever seen. The moral of the story is this... dogs are just like people in that they have a mind of their own and can be unpredictable, but don't have the reasoning skills that we posses, so IMO its' best to determine the following before ever even considering bringing a dog along on the trail:

1. Does she\he even want to be here, doing this?
    2. Can/will he/she carry a little of their own weight?
    3. Can I keep her/him completely under total physical control at all times with little stress and/or effort on my part?
    4. Should the worst happen, and he/she get loose from my control, what chance is there that anyone or anything could be in danger?

The correct answers are Yes, Yes, Yes and Little to none. If you can't answer those that way, leave your baby at home. You'll both be happier and so will everyone you meet.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

I realize you exist (non dog owners/lovers), I just don't understand you, and certainly don't understand the fear. I also think you could handle 30 second encounter on the trail, and be prepared to defend yourself if necessary.
    My wife was mauled by a dog when she was young--the doctor stopped counting at 130 stitches on her face. She has that fear, and I would be very irritated at an off-leash dog romping too close to us. It's rude. I once had a dog that I would have walked on a trail off-leash with--but he would stay within 20 feet of me, and would stop chasing geese (on of his favorite things to do) on voice command. Unless your dog is very well trained, please keep it on leash when around others.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Went on a short hike today with the dogs. As always they were well-behaved and of course wearing their e-collars, but as we returned to the TH we were approached by three dogs, all off-leash and all out of control. As always, seeing dogs and people ahead I stepped off the trail and put both dogs in a down-stay position...when the other dogs came bounding up they behaved as expected (stayed with me, but couldn't ignore the dogs that were now in their space) but I still grabbed collars because I didn't know the other dogs. The people apologized and used the "just a puppy" excuse for one dog...well IMO, that dog shouldn't be off-leash, and running it off-leash without any control is just teaching it bad manners and how much it can get away with. Most dogs off-leash around here have been impecably behaved, especially those carrying packs and who obviously have a lot of trail experience, but there are the small percentage here that give the rest of us a bad name...and that's frustrating

I've never heard anyone so scared of dogs. If the dog attacks me, I'll fight it like a man as I would a human (or bear for that matter). If shooting dogs off leash on trail was the norm, I'd have to carry a ton of ammo. Geez...
    You seem to not have heard of a lot of things, perhaps listening would solve that. People are not all identical, some have had traumatic encounters with dogs and have some valid concerns when encountering one in the forest without anyone around. Some dogs just don't take well to people based on how they are dressed or how fast they are moving. Most people don't have too many issues with dogs overall, but dogs can behave differently in a forest setting and do things they "never do" in a home environment.

Bottom line is, unless your dog is under voice command (very few actually are), a leash is legally required on a substantial portion of the AT. Even if your dogs actions are mistaken, it can be badly hurt and you can be criminally charged and civil actions can follow in those areas.

You asked a question about using leashes and got a few answers. Use them or don't, its not up to me or anyone else. Other trolling comments got their own responses.

Probably time to shut this thread down.

Again, if you are alone on the trail, you should be prepared to defend yourself. A dog, simply put, will never bite me, so I cannot understand the fear.

And, you revived the thread...

Again, if you are alone on the trail, you should be prepared to defend yourself. A dog, simply put, will never bite me, so I cannot understand the fear.
    No one should have to be prepared to defend themselves from a dog. Just because you believe that you will never be bitten by a dog does not lessen the fact that other have been.

Keeping a dog leashed is a pain and not even possible along some of the more difficult sections of trail. But it is the law in some areas, regardless of your feelings. Even when not required, it's a good idea to keep the dog leashed just to make sure it doesn't run off and/or have a bad encounter with wildlife, which includes other hikers.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Are you not already prepared to defend yourself from whatever you may encounter. Forgot dogs for a moment.

You need to be prepared for any threat irregardless of the type of threat.

I hope you don't hit the trail and "hope" everyone is friendly and every animal encounter involves petting and smiling.

You need to be prepared for any threat irregardless of the type of threat.
    Enough already. You know what you should do, stop making excuses and dumping the burden onto others.

It's clear you didn't start this thread as an honest query. You've argued with everyone here who's disagreed with you.

[QUOTE=doingtime;2077594]Again, if you are alone on the trail, you should be prepared to defend yourself. A dog, simply put, will never bite me, so I cannot understand the fear.

Clearly not understanding much.

Images

Stupidest thread I've ever read. Is the OP abdicating defending yourself to whatever means against unleashed dogs, but does not want to leach his own...What a DB??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Enough already. You know what you should do, stop making excuses and dumping the burden onto others.

It's clear you didn't start this thread as an honest query. You've argued with everyone here who's disagreed with you.
    It was an honest query... The dip****s turned into a debate

[QUOTE=Traveler;2077761]

Clearly not understanding much.
    Oh, I understand completely. If something bad goes down and your near me, just get behind me and hide. I'll take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Stupidest thread I've ever read. Is the OP abdicating defending yourself to whatever means against unleashed dogs, but does not want to leach his own...What a DB??
    I've been called worse, and you clearly did not read al of my responses. If it's stupid, get out.

I would consider myself a responsible dog owner and hike with my dog both on leash and off leash. My dog is a 10 year old 75 lb Pit Bull and I DO realize that some people do not like dogs (especially Pit Bulls) and I DO respect that. No one should be subject to their fear of dogs being stimulated on the trail. My dog is 10 years old and I have had him since he was 10 weeks old and I can confidently say I can control my dog via voice commands while hiking (he is normally worn out and when worn out he listens much better). Here is what I do:

- I walk with my dog on a leash for the first 10-15 minutes until I am away from the road traffic.
    - My dog has mastered the "back" command which he knows means he will be walking behind me.
    - As I see other hikers approaching I put my dog on a leash and remove myself from the walkway and let the other hiker pass by. If they want to approach the dog, they can.
    - In camp if no one is around he is off leash (if someone comes he goes on leash). If others are around, I try to camp away from others and use a 20 foot piece of parachute cord so he has some free space to roam around.

It's pretty simple. If I am in a high traffic area (SNP for example), I hook his 6 foot leash to his collar, my chest strap, and he walks behind me so I am not being pulled all over the place.

I didn't think this was a stupid thread. Regardless of various attitudes, as a new long distance hiker, and one that would like to include a dog in my adventures, there is a lot of good information just in this thread. For example, I had a pretty good idea what I though was trail etiquette with a dog, but I wasn't entirely right. I learned some things, so I for one am glad this thread got started. IF and only IF my dog likes doing overnights and then several days, will I consider taking him on my AT thru hike, but he will be leashed and we will both go through obedience training, so that I know how to lead, and he knows how to follow. It won't work any other way. So thanks to all of you that gave little or even big tidbits of info, I will put it to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I would consider myself a responsible dog owner and hike with my dog both on leash and off leash. My dog is a 10 year old 75 lb Pit Bull and I DO realize that some people do not like dogs (especially Pit Bulls) and I DO respect that. No one should be subject to their fear of dogs being stimulated on the trail. My dog is 10 years old and I have had him since he was 10 weeks old and I can confidently say I can control my dog via voice commands while hiking (he is normally worn out and when worn out he listens much better). Here is what I do:

- I walk with my dog on a leash for the first 10-15 minutes until I am away from the road traffic.
    - My dog has mastered the "back" command which he knows means he will be walking behind me.
    - As I see other hikers approaching I put my dog on a leash and remove myself from the walkway and let the other hiker pass by. If they want to approach the dog, they can.
    - In camp if no one is around he is off leash (if someone comes he goes on leash). If others are around, I try to camp away from others and use a 20 foot piece of parachute cord so he has some free space to roam around.

It's pretty simple. If I am in a high traffic area (SNP for example), I hook his 6 foot leash to his collar, my chest strap, and he walks behind me so I am not being pulled all over the place.
    Pitbulls are a tough breed because so many fear them based on nothing. I have seen a few on the trails and I have seen a few that the owners could not handle, even on a leash. Their sheer size and strength over matched the owners. Another reason i advocate being prepared to defend yourself.

Case in point - I was at a local park recently and came upon an older couple with a large pit bull. The dog was dragging the woman, panting and pulling hard toward my dog and I. Mt dog was off leash, and I had her sit off trail.

The woman looked at me and said "I don't know what he'll do, he likes people, but he has a problem with other dogs". I simply said, if he has a problem with us, I will end the problem.

She did everything she could to move along. My dog never moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravytrain View Post
    I didn't think this was a stupid thread. Regardless of various attitudes, as a new long distance hiker, and one that would like to include a dog in my adventures, there is a lot of good information just in this thread. For example, I had a pretty good idea what I though was trail etiquette with a dog, but I wasn't entirely right. I learned some things, so I for one am glad this thread got started. IF and only IF my dog likes doing overnights and then several days, will I consider taking him on my AT thru hike, but he will be leashed and we will both go through obedience training, so that I know how to lead, and he knows how to follow. It won't work any other way. So thanks to all of you that gave little or even big tidbits of info, I will put it to good use.
    Thanks for the reply and I feel the same way. Contrary to some of the thread trolls, I have gleaned some good info myself.

Default Help me with the leash thing

I've read most all of the responses on this thread. I am not afraid of dogs, I grew up with dogs in and around my home most all my life. Some on leash some not. I lived on a farm.
    While hiking the AT for the past 3 weeks I saw quite a few dogs, and I can say that maybe one was on leash. While they were hiking with their owners they were well behaved, and pretty much on task, like me, breathing heavy and concentrating on making it up the damn hill!
    However, it was quite another story at shelters and campsites. The dogs (not always the same dogs) were either taking up space in the shelters or nosing around other hikers tent sites uninvited, with their owners unconcerned with their foraging or intrusion into others tent space. And on one occasion, an irresponsible owner sat by and watched as her young black lab growled, barked and bit a fellow hiker in the shelter. Not once did she apologize for the dogs behavior or show concern for the fellow hiker.
    By all means, bring your lifelong companions with you on your hike, but be responsible for their behavior and actions. I like dogs, cats, marmots and any other four legged creature you feel the need to accompany you on your hike in the woods, I just ask that you use the same courtesy when exposing them to strangers as I would exposing you to my pet Python, ask first, keep him/her under control, and no assumptions please. There is a leash law, I can only assume if you ignore this law, you have and are ignoring other, possibly more dire laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Of course, the SNP is one of those places where dogs are required to be on a leash at all times anyway...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++