WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Trail

Default Colorado Trail

Hi everyone. I am preparing for an attempted thru hike of the CT next summer. I've been getting in lots of training hikes and have my mileage up to over 10 miles already. I'm planning some over nights on the A.T. to refresh my back packing skills. I back pack every summer a weekend or two. The longest trek I've done was 5 days, 4 nights along the A.T. I'm used to hanging my food. I wanted others opinions on whether I should hang, or just bring a bear canister? I know the terrain is much different then the A.T. I do have plenty of family and my best friend all live in Colorado, not too far from the trail. I know I will have support if I need it. But I'm worried about that thin mountain air? I do live on the east coast. I plan on driving into Denver, instead of flying. So I can acclimate more naturally. I also plan on hanging out for a few days in Denver before starting my hike. My hubby is a pharmacist and recommended getting an Rx from my Dr to bring in case I get altitude sickness.

For the most part people are being very supportive. But I'm also hearing that my chances are low on completing this hike because I am from the east coast. I don't want to set myself up for failure, but there are no mountains that are that high over here. I train at the gym at very high intensity with a personal trainer 1-2 x's a week. Plus I do a 10 mile hike once a week to every other week. I walk or work out 3-4 x's a week. I feel like physically I can do the miles. I think it's the altitude and the mental part of it that is worrying me. Like not having enough faith in myself. I am getting older. I'm 38 and have 3 kiddos. I really want to complete my first thru hike before I turn 40!

Any advice would be great! I would like to hear your success stories as well

Hang your food there is no need for a bear canister. Sounds like by driving and spending time in Denver you will have better part of a week to start acclimatizing. That, and starting in Denver, should give you plenty of time so that altitude shouldn't be much of a concern. Just be aware that, early on, the climbs might wind you a bit more than you expect. Slow down and you will be fine. After the first week or so, long distance hiking is mostly mental.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Thank you so much! That was my thought. But people are getting into my head putting the word "can't" in there.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KelBel View Post
    For the most part people are being very supportive. But I'm also hearing that my chances are low on completing this hike because I am from the east coast. I don't want to set myself up for failure, but there are no mountains that are that high over here. I train at the gym at very high intensity with a personal trainer 1-2 x's a week. Plus I do a 10 mile hike once a week to every other week. I walk or work out 3-4 x's a week. I feel like physically I can do the miles. I think it's the altitude and the mental part of it that is worrying me. Like not having enough faith in myself. I am getting older. I'm 38 and have 3 kiddos. I really want to complete my first thru hike before I turn 40!

Your chances are good at completing the CT. Your making it out to be more than it is.

You will ease into the elevation, it wont even be a factor.

Its just several short 5-7 days hikes back to bacK, with a town break in between. Just focus on the step at hand.

Denver to breckenridge
    Breck to twin lakes
    twin lakes to Salida
    Salida to Lake City
    Lake city to durango

Hang your food when you can find a suitable place.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-26-2016 at 12:46.

There is no can't. There is only do.
    I've spent my life on the Gulf Coast. I "found" the Rockies when I was 18. I've been going back whenever possible. The first week kicks my butt. After that it is much better. Not easy, but better.
    A 10 mile hike is relatively easy. 2 10 mile hikes in a row is more difficult. Aim for 2 days in a row. With nearly your expected pack weight. Then go for 3 in a row.
    Look for some good uphill hikes around Denver. You need some time up around 8,000' to start feeling the effects of altitude. 2 weeks ago I hiked up to 5,900'+ in North Carolina. Higher than Denver. I didn't feel any altitude effects and I'm old.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

... My hubby is a pharmacist and recommended getting an Rx from my Dr to bring in case I get altitude sickness.

... But I'm also hearing that my chances are low on completing this hike because I am from the east coast.

... Any advice would be great! ....
    Denver, at a mere mid-5000' altitude, won't do much for your acclimation, I recommend taking a couple day hikes in the 8-10K range during you pre-hike acclimation, if you really think you need this, and why not, plenty of great moderate altitude hikes very close to Denver. I can make some suggestions when the time comes. Driving out here will do nothing other than give you a set of wheels when you're here, mighty handy before and after your hike, but now you have to store it somewhere for your 4-5 weeks. There are places to do this, but not the trailhead (nor my house, sorry!). There are pretty cheap flights to Denver from practically anywhere, and there is public transportation to very near the trailhead, and I can take you the rest of the way if I'm home, and we can prearrange this of course, and if not, a $30 cab ride will finish your transportation to the trailhead.

Or you could fly in, take public transportation and rent a car near the trailhead for a few days (plenty of places), return the car and get a ride to the trailhead. I wouldn't rent at the airport, more expensive, plus you'd have to return it there or pay another fee, and the airport is complete opposite side of town from the trailhead.

But generally, because it takes a full week of hiking to get to the places on the CT that exceed 11K, acclimation and altitude sickness shouldn't be a problem, unless you are pre-disposed to it. And being fit or not makes no difference to getting true altitude sickness. If you think you might be predisposed to altitude sickness, there would be nothing wrong with carrying some Diamox (Acetazolamide), but your doc won't really know proper dosage if you do take it, and if you take what doc's typically prescribe, 250mg twice a day or so, you'll probably have very annoying side effects; having to pee a lot, tingly fingers/toes, food/beverages taste horrible. Lots of high altitude research, most of which doc's, especially east coast docs, know nothing about, has shown that half of this dosage or even less is still effective in staving off altitude sickness. For my big climbs I take a half of a 125mg tablet twice a day; zero side effects and I have never gotten altitude sick up to about 23,000 feet, the highest I've climbed.

Furthering what lonehiker has said, you'll of course be hiking in much thinner air for your hike, meaning less oxygen to metabolize food and fuel your muscles, meaning you will go much slower and breathe harder for a modest pace, but this is perfectly normal, it doesn't matter if you're a Tibetan Sherpa. Getting heavily winded during modest exercise is NOT altitude sickness, it's just simply having less O's to fuel your cells. If you get persistent splitting headaches or puke your guts more than once, THAT's a true altitude problem.

The chances of completing ANY multi-hundred mile, 4-5 week thru hike is pretty small, I really don't think there is anything about the CT that makes your chances any less than say, a 500 mile stretch of the AT, PCT, whatever. It's tough to hike 5 weeks in a row anywhere. Just give it a shot!

Thank you for this advice! I am over thinking, I know. I have been adding weight to my day pack little by little. I'm so so excited to take this step to do something that is so very important to me.

My best friend lives near Denver. So I am already parking my car at her house. So that part is taking care of. Whenever I fly into Denver I puke for a day or two. Although when I was last there, maybe 2 years ago, I had only mild symptoms. So driving I feel I can slowly acclimate. But yes any thru hike is tough.

Researching my memory banks. It's been awhile since I was there.
    You have a car. You have a place to stay. Put them to good use.
    Drive to Rocky Mountain National Park. Park at Bear Lake. Go Early to beat the crowds. Hike around the lake with your full pack. If that goes well, hike to Bierstadt Lake. Enjoy the view. Have lunch (from your pack). Hike back to your car.
    If you can get to Bierstadt Lake and back in one piece you should be good to start the CT.
    Colorado_rob or MAGS may know of similar hikes closer than RMMP, but they won't have the view of Long's Peak that you get from Bierstadt Lake.
    Enjoy.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Great ideas thanks

Hi everyone. I am preparing for an attempted thru hike of the CT next summer. I've been getting in lots of training hikes and have my mileage up to over 10 miles already. I'm planning some over nights on the A.T. to refresh my back packing skills. I back pack every summer a weekend or two. The longest trek I've done was 5 days, 4 nights along the A.T. I'm used to hanging my food. I wanted others opinions on whether I should hang, or just bring a bear canister? I know the terrain is much different then the A.T. I do have plenty of family and my best friend all live in Colorado, not too far from the trail. I know I will have support if I need it. But I'm worried about that thin mountain air? I do live on the east coast. I plan on driving into Denver, instead of flying. So I can acclimate more naturally. I also plan on hanging out for a few days in Denver before starting my hike. My hubby is a pharmacist and recommended getting an Rx from my Dr to bring in case I get altitude sickness.

You post brought back memories. Many years ago, my first experience in hiking was on the Colorado Trail. I hiked the section from Denver to Breckenridge. I carefully planned out what all I would need. When my wife dropped me off at the trailhead, my pack was so heavy that a strap broke. It must have weighed 80 lbs. It turned out to be a difficult hike (I developed a kidney stone), but resulted in me falling in love with hiking.

Based on my experience, my advice is:

1. Don't be overly concerned about the altitude. Just realize that you may have to hike a little slower than normal.
    2. Be very concerned about pack weight. Keep your pack a light as possible.
    3. Pay careful attention to water. There are some sections of the CT where it is a long way between water sources. Be sure to carry enough water.
    4. Take a camera. The views are fantastic.
    Shutterbug

Very sound advice Shutterbug, thank you

Did you say when you are going?
    Wayne

I'm heading out next summer. In 2017

Hoping to be out there next summer myself...mid-July start. Hope to see you out there...I love hiking alone but prefer to camp with others.

I'm heading out next summer. In 2017
    Ok. That doesn't answer my question. Some months are better than others. I'm partial to September as are many other folks. June is too early. July is ok snow wise but bad thunderstorm wise. August is about 50-50, 50% July and 50% September. Choose wisely. Have fun.
    Wayne

I'm heading out late June. I have to be back on the East coast before my kiddos start school. Especially since the youngest is starting kindergarten

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Ok. That doesn't answer my question. Some months are better than others. I'm partial to September as are many other folks. June is too early. July is ok snow wise but bad thunderstorm wise. August is about 50-50, 50% July and 50% September. Choose wisely. Have fun.
    Wayne

Hoping Monsoon season doesn't extend too far into August this summer, but maybe I'm just being too selfish

We are starting the weekend of August 5th.

I'm heading out late June. I have to be back on the East coast before my kiddos start school. Especially since the youngest is starting kindergarten
    Watch the snow levels closely.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by ddanko2 View Post
    Hoping Monsoon season doesn't extend too far into August this summer, but maybe I'm just being too selfish

We are starting the weekend of August 5th.
    Start early and you will generally have your mileage in by the time the storms roll in. I try to be on trail as soon as it is light enough to see without a headlamp. So by 3ish I will have hiked 20 miles, set up camp, and have a nice relaxing afternoon out of the rain. After the storms I will cook dinner. This style isn't for everyone.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++