WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Winter pack/mid size pack

I currently use a HMG 2400 southwest for all my hikes which I really enjoy but tops out around 30 pounds. I'm looking for a pack that can handle a bit more weight and possibly volume for colder weather or hikes that I don't feel like dropping off resupply caches. I won't use this pack near as much so I would like to not spend near as much money as I did on the HMG(relative to how big that pack is). Right now I'm looking at a couple designs by osprey as well as the 2014 six moon designs 50 pack which is only 100$.

The Fusion 50 is a 40 liter pack. Its smaller than your HMG pack. Any pack that I know of that hauls a lot of weight is going to be pricey. I have a Seek Outside Unaweep. Its ~ $400, but it carries everything I need to.

Right but it has a more sophisticated frame so maybe it could handle more weight.

The problem with winter trips is bulk and weigh and more stuff. The backpacks from Seek Outside will carry anything you need to put in it and strap on it. Comfortably.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm talking extended winter trips in the south, so may need to be able to carry 40 pounds instead of 30 which will be uncomfortable in the HMG 2400.

The ULA Catalyst that I purchased recently claims to handle 40 pounds. I have not tried that much weight yet. I did take it out for a miles with about 25 pounds and it didn't kill me.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thanks I'll look into that. I should have phrased my question better, what I'm looking for is something that can carry a bit more weight than my HMG 2400.

Does anybody have any experience with the osprey volt 60? Since I'm not going to use this new mid size pack that often I'd rather go with a budget option.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Winter pack/mid size pack

I used the Volt 75 on my Springer to Damascus hike and it carried everything I needed plus some, my last full load with 5 days food and 2 liters of water coming in at 38 lbs average. I'd say it carried great.

The Volt 60 weighs about twice as much as the HMG and costs about half as much. Welcome to the economic dilemma frequently faced by those of the UL mindset.

But if you're content knowing that you're carrying a couple extra pounds, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, look for somebody selling something like a Zpacks Arc Haul if you want something light that also meets your load criteria. Used prices are still going to be pretty high, of course, if you can even locate one for sale.

BTW I've done winter trips with my Arc Blast (52l, old style) and found it quite adequate with a totally UL load, although winter 'near-UL' kits require a TON of testing and tweaking, and even then a base weight of 13 lbs is considered quite respectable. However, the polyester-Cuben hybrid material used for the Arc Blast isn't durable enough for winter, which is why I also got an Arc Haul... for its Dyneema X material.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-27-2016 at 07:51.

I'm not going to use this pack near enough to justify spending a lot of money to save some pounds. I'm deciding between the osprey volt 60,exos 58, and atmos ag 50.

Journal Entries
    Images

I love my SMD fusion pack that is on clearance,and it rides amazing.
    I have only had it to around 30 lbs max but rode like A dream.
    And for the price you cant beat it.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

The volt 60 is on Amazon for about 120$ which is hard to beat. Getting the exos 58 doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it carries about 35 comfortably and my HMG does 30. I'm planning a winter thru hike of the quachita trail and will still pack my lightweight gear, but would like to avoid having to cache supplies so I'm assuming I'll be around 30-40 pounds total.

223 miles w/o resupply?

Food weight alone is going to blow your weight budget.

There's a town at about the midpoint and I would still cache some supplies, I just don't want to take my HMG and then have to spend 2 days dropping of food at half the trailheads.

I am happy with my HMG pack. If heavier loads are called for or packing mountainclimbing hardware, I have heard the HMG Ice Pack is suitable.

I find I prefer a pack for heavier loads that provides ventilation for my back, because I prespire if I have a heavy pack. For that reason, Lowe Alpine looks good. I had an earlier version, until my nephew saw it.

I'll definitely look into those as well, the Lowe alpine packs are only slightly more expensive than osprey and look a bit more durable.

Have you looked at diy pulks. If you plan on snow they could work great .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wperrott92 View Post
    . . . I'm deciding between the osprey volt 60,exos 58, and atmos ag 50.
    I love my Exos 48 and use it in winter with loads up to 35 lbs, which for me is winter gear with five days of food and no extra space. The Exos carries 35 lbs okay, but any more would not be very pleasant. The Exos also holds the pack away from your center of gravity a bit, so it is not as stable on skis as other packs might be. I don't think the Osprey AG packs are any better at carrying load or moving weight closer to your back for stability.

In your case, I might look at one of the Deuter ACT Lite packs, either the 50+10 or the 65+10. They're great bags, relatively inexpensive, well engineered, reasonable in weight, support heavier loads well and carry closer to your back. REI sells them for $189 & $209.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The Zpacks ArcHaul is rated for 40lbs and fits/feels great. Probably one of the lightest packs to carry 40lbs as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++