WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: ultralight saw?

Default ultralight saw?

I carry a keychain leatherman multitool and a gerber folding knife. But no saw on either! Can anyone recommend an ultralight <2 oz folding/chain saw?
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

There is a guy on here that makes a really cool take-down saw. Not sure how much it weighs.

Backpacking light, feels so right.

Hmmm? There's the old standby Sven Saw, the Bahco Laplander style folding saws (Silkie, Corona, Bahco, Fiskars all make similar looking folders) and frame type saws, BUT . . . I'm sure none of the above weigh less than 2 oz.

depending on your needs, I would think a 12" aggressive pruning blade made to fit on a reciprocating saw (think Sawzall) with a light handle or even tape wrapped around the blade. You can get one at Home Depot for maybe $4. I think Skill is the brand they carry.

OR:

Carry a blade and a couple of small screws or bolts for a bow saw and make a bow from a green sapling ala Mohrs Cochanski sp? The trick with that is how to carry the long floppy blade without damaging it or the rest of your stuff.

That's it! The search function on this site really sux.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    There is a guy on here that makes a really cool take-down saw. Not sure how much it weighs.
    Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    Thanks for the love. The Little Buck (15-inch blade) weighs just 4 ounces.
    There is no lighter 15" saw available unless you carry a blade, cordage, and knife and DIY your own saw with found materials.
    I also make a larger 24-inch saw if you need it.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

qiwiz makes the best light usable saw, i always have it with me on multi day snow shoe trips or camping weekend trips it has a great blade, packs up small, and very functional. on long summer backpacking trips i tend to not build fires. i tend to spend most of my time hiking and not in camp that's just me. so on that note i carry a ditty bag with small items and i know in it, there's a saw made by derma-safe i believe i used it once and works good for what it is tiny saw blade that folds up into itself weight is 8 grams. i wouldn't plan on it lasting a long time but for that once in a blue moon that you lose a tent stake or something along those lines it could come in handy

Garlic
    Images

I know one trail organization that uses these. The competitions at the annual picnic are fun.

I'm looking at pruning my gear list. (pun intended) A folding saw is an interesting luxury item. Tempting!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Dick's has a saw that fits in as chew can

Images

those pocket chainsaws are no joke. I used mine to prune a 4-5" branch about 25' in the air (tree was OK but branch had croaked and was over the kids playfort). Through a line over and made 550 cord extensions for each side of the saw. Few minutes of sawing did the trick. My father in law borrowed it and that was the last I saw it.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

A saw is like a sleeping bag, it is worth spending extra money, and the idea that you could find a 2 ounce saw is ludicrous. You are going to have to bite the bullet and carry 7 to 8 ounces. I recommend the silky gomboy
    https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Folding.../dp/B000CED1OG
    After using silky saws you will never, I mean never want to use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I know one trail organization that uses these. The competitions at the annual picnic are fun.
    Sintax77 just did a review: https://youtu.be/oEChc-FWT4I

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    A saw is like a sleeping bag, it is worth spending extra money . . . You are going to have to bite the bullet and carry 7 to 8 ounces. I recommend the silky gomboy
    https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Folding.../dp/B000CED1OG
    After using silky saws you will never, I mean never want to use anything else.
    So the Silky is a good saw, but hardly ultralight. The 9.17 ounce silky gomboy has a 9.5" blade and the 4.0 ounce Little Buck has a 15" blade. So you can get a saw with a longer blade for less than half the weight. The less weight I carry the more I enjoy my trail time. Just sayin' . . .

9 ounces isn't that heavy ..., with my 9.5 inch gomboy I sawed a somewhere between 5 and 6 inch diameter log that was about 6 feet long into 1 foot segments for the fire this last weekend backpacking for example. I shudder at the thought of doing that with any kind of folding bow saw since you can't make big diameter cuts easily due to the geometry of the frame holding the blade. For larger logs the folding saw offers a lot of advantages, for processing a lot of wood for a winter fire for example I wouldn't want anything but my 14 inch silky big boy, man can that plow through wood like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    9 ounces isn't that heavy ..., with my 9.5 inch gomboy I sawed a somewhere between 5 and 6 inch diameter log that was about 6 feet long into 1 foot segments for the fire this last weekend backpacking for example. I shudder at the thought of doing that with any kind of folding bow saw since you can't make big diameter cuts easily due to the geometry of the frame holding the blade. For larger logs the folding saw offers a lot of advantages, for processing a lot of wood for a winter fire for example I wouldn't want anything but my 14 inch silky big boy, man can that plow through wood like nothing else.
    So ... I guess "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "heavy is in the discomfort of the carrier (of the weight)". I might also mention that the stroke you can make with a 9.5" saw in a 5" log is only 4.5" long when you get into the center of the log, while with a 15" saw you can make a stroke that is twice as long. Longer stroke = faster cut. But I'm not saying you should give up the silky as much as you love it. ; )

++ New Posts ++