WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Advice regarding 2 person quilt temp rating

Almost 30 years ago my still lovely wife (Caboose) and I knew we wanted to one day complete an AT thru-hike. Fast forward (very slowly at times ) to retirement this coming September and we are finally planning the adventure. We will be leaving SOBO tentatively on June 1, but definitely no later than June 15. The reason for the relatively early start, knowing it will be fly season, is that Caboose doesn't do cold very well and the southern Appalachians can be downright cold from November on.

This brings me to our question...we currently both hike with lightweight down bags, but I'm a warm sleeper who does fine with a 16 ounce (35 deg.) mummy and she loves her 2 1/2 pound 20 degree bag. We're planning to switch to a 2 person quilt from ZPacks and are trying to decide if we could get by with a 30 degree quilt vs a heavier option until later in the hike when we could mail drop our current bags to add to the gear and add some degree of comfort. Before anyone asks, the switch will save us 2+ pounds of shared base weight as well as keeping us from sleeping apart for 5-6 months.

I know the subject of sleeping comfort is very specific to the individual, but if anyone has SOBO experience during the season we are planning to leave, your input would be most welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Engine; 06-27-2016 at 13:29.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

My GF and I use a 20 degree quilt from EE, the Accomplice from April until November. The good thing with a quilt is if one person is too hot, they can uncover a bit to cool down, without affecting the other person. It gets cool in NE at night, especially at altitude.

what did you decide on for a tent?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++