WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Thanks mikec. I've camped at Dahlgren many times and never had a problem either. I think it's an isolated incident but as anyone who hikes the AT knows there are occasional incidents of theft. This was relatively minor, the few items taken will be replaced.
    Don, would you accept a donated Platypus bladder to replace the one that got stolen? I can have it sent today.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries

The group was following Philmont policy which is that all packs are under a tarp at night which is located near the cooking area away from the tents. (I've been to Philmont twice). Also all the packs would have been in a pack line, one neat line with each leaning against the next. The packs were all moved and some were left open. I'm assuming the poles that were not being used to pitch tents were also under the tarp as well.

It wouldn't be hard for someone to slip under the tarp hidden from view, away from the boys sleeping in their tents, and quietly search the packs.

I told the boys that the AT is a microcosm of the world we live in and sometimes these things happen.
    When it came to empty packs, our packline was a pile. Empty packs dont stand up unless external frame.

Journal Entries

The group was following Philmont policy which is that all packs are under a tarp at night which is located near the cooking area away from the tents. (I've been to Philmont twice). Also all the packs would have been in a pack line, one neat line with each leaning against the next. The packs were all moved and some were left open. I'm assuming the poles that were not being used to pitch tents were also under the tarp as well.

It wouldn't be hard for someone to slip under the tarp hidden from view, away from the boys sleeping in their tents, and quietly search the packs.

I told the boys that the AT is a microcosm of the world we live in and sometimes these things happen.
    When it came to empty packs, our packline was a pile. Empty packs dont stand up unless external frame.

Not saying it didnt happen, but i saw scouts lose a lot of stuff, even at philmont. One pair of tent partners lost their tent poles, phimont had to bring them a tent. Another kid had to buy $45 worth of platypus bottles to replace the ones he kept losing. Anf of course, poles were left behind too. Something clipped on outside is just asking to be lost.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-28-2016 at 13:21.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Our guys are taught to always form a pack line. They would have still had spare clothing in their packs and possibly the cooking gear. All cooking gear should have been in the cooking area but since they hadn't yet cooked since this was their first night apparently (they parked at South Mountain Inn a quarter mile form the campground) the cooking gear was still in the packs, thus the stoves moved but not taken.

I've been on two Philmont treks and we never lost even a tent peg between both trips. The scouts do fundraising so they can buy quality equipment so I think they are a bit more responsible.

Jumpmaster, thank you for the offer but I'm sure the parents will replace the items. At least all the items were not from one scout.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

It's been a while since I hiked the Maryland section, but I believe the guides at the time said to keep your gear close to you, that because the campground was close to the road, sometimes things were taken. I realize you're practicing for a trip to Philmont, but the Philmont way might not always be the best way, for a given area. It might be the perfect time to say, "Here's what we're going to do at Philmont." Then do it. Then say, "Because this is different than Philmont, here's what we're going to do here, because it's safer/more appropriate." Then do that. I'm glad your kids are active and excited and learning.

Are you guys also practicing carrying out your waste? That's also the Philmont way I hear.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Are you guys also practicing carrying out your waste? That's also the Philmont way I hear.
    Waste as in human waste? No, crews do not, nor have they ever packed out human waste. There are pit latrines located at campsites and high use locations.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I'm sorry you've related this crime to this group and have had it picked apart and basically been called a liar.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I'm sorry you've related this crime to this group and have had it picked apart and basically been called a liar.
    Thanks!
    I've been here quite awhile and have a thick skin so it doesn't bother me one bit. I just posted it as an FYI for others hiking in the area.
    By the way I'm posting a $1,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of a bear on the trail in Maryland wearing Frogg Toggs and using hiking sticks : )
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    No one insinuated any such thing. They simply wondered if there might be another explanation, because the evidence sounded a bit unusual. Big difference.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-28-2016 at 22:24.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    No one insinuated any such thing. They simply wondered if there might be another explanation, because the evidence sounded a bit unusual. Big difference.
    Yeah, its a pretty specific list of things taken.

Thanks!
    I've been here quite awhile and have a thick skin so it doesn't bother me one bit. I just posted it as an FYI for others hiking in the area.
    By the way I'm posting a $1,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of a bear on the trail in Maryland wearing Frogg Toggs and using hiking sticks : )
    ...and playing a hydration bladder under his arm like a bag pipe.

Journal Entries
    Images

Trekking poles would be easy to steal. I always felt uneasy leaving them at places since I relied on them. The poles were probably not in the pack. The same goes for the bladders and frog toggs, which likely could have been on the outside of the pack (where raingear should be). Lots of water bladders are sitting around at camp and not in the pack too. That sucks, but when you go to a destination such as this, where the road overflow has access, you keep all your stuff close to you (even your food bag).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++