WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

When it's in the 80s and 90s and you get an afternoon thunder-boomer it can be wonderful just to enjoy the refreshing shower!

One can go UL and still be prepared. Just have to be very realistic and plan for worst-case scenario, such as low 30s F and rain. It can be done.

Images

Oh, and did I mention - LightHeart Gear stuff is all made in the USA - in North Carolina.

Also, my take is that rain gear is to keep you warm in a cold rain - if you are backpacking in the rain - you will get wet, from rain and or sweat, you'll be wet - but warm and wet is livable, cold and wet can be a death sentence - hypothermia. The oxymoron of waterproof/breathable will mostly keep you warm and wet as well as waterproof fabrics will.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    +1

When it's cooler I use a Montbell Versalite and 100- or 150-wt fleece and some Montane Pertex rain pants. For warmer weather it's a Zpacks cuben poncho and maybe MLD silnylon rain chaps. Last October I used a Frogg Toggs rain jacket during several days of intermittent rain and outright deluges, and it was pretty darn good. It is super cheap and super light (IIRC about 5.6oz for size M, which is in fact HUGE), but alas it isn't durable at all, although it patches really well with duct tape or other repair tapes.

Never would I actually hike in down gear, anywhere, any weather, any time of the year.
    How do you like the Montbell Versalite? I am thinking about possibly replacing my Marmot Precip with a lighter rain jacket but I don't want something that will wet out on me immediately in the Wind River Range this summer. I will be sweating regardless but cold water vs warm sweat is a big difference. Thanks in advance.

I really like the Versalite, but I've accepted the fact that just about everything is going to wet out, either from the outside or inside, and that DWR treatments wear off pretty rapidly and are not to be depended upon. The best thing IMO is to wear whatever layering is necessary to maintain a damp-but-warm condition, which is much easier with pit zips and the front zipper. With these, I can stay reasonably dry (or minimally damp, depending on how you want to look at it ) and also regulate temperature to a large extent. When it's cooler, the key layer is the fleece which provides critical loft even when it is very damp.

I first tried the OR Helium II and IMO the Versalite's fit, zips, hood, pockets, and wrist cuffs beat the crap out of the Helium.

And BTW I'm jealous as heck that you're getting to go to WRR and I'm not, lol! Have a great trip!

I am not a rainjacket person, because a rainjacket and/or rainpants are too warm for me.

That said, the value of DWR is that with minimum skill you can renew the DWR yourself with Nikwax DWR or McNett DWR.

For what it's worth, if you decide to go water resistant/high breathability, the Houdini is a great choice and about $45 at REI right now.

When it's in the 80s and 90s and you get an afternoon thunder-boomer it can be wonderful just to enjoy the refreshing shower!

Yea, for the first 2 minutes. Then you realize that the cold, soaking water is making you hypothermic as your teeth start to chatter. The closest I ever came to full on hypothermia was waiting out a thunderstorm in NY on a 90 degree day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, for the first 2 minutes. Then you realize that the cold, soaking water is making you hypothermic as your teeth start to chatter. The closest I ever came to full on hypothermia was waiting out a thunderstorm in NY on a 90 degree day.
    It obviously helps to keep moving and manage your temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It obviously helps to keep moving and manage your temperature.
    Yea, but when the storm is right over you and your about to climb up onto an exposed ledge, it might be better to stay where you are for a bit too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Granted - you always need to consider the situation and choose your layers accordingly.

I really like the Versalite, but I've accepted the fact that just about everything is going to wet out, either from the outside or inside, and that DWR treatments wear off pretty rapidly and are not to be depended upon. The best thing IMO is to wear whatever layering is necessary to maintain a damp-but-warm condition, which is much easier with pit zips and the front zipper. With these, I can stay reasonably dry (or minimally damp, depending on how you want to look at it ) and also regulate temperature to a large extent. When it's cooler, the key layer is the fleece which provides critical loft even when it is very damp.

I first tried the OR Helium II and IMO the Versalite's fit, zips, hood, pockets, and wrist cuffs beat the crap out of the Helium.

And BTW I'm jealous as heck that you're getting to go to WRR and I'm not, lol! Have a great trip!
    Thank you. I am planning on brining a 100 weight fleece but since this is my first week out West I will probably stick to the precip and consider trying the MB Versalite here on the East Coast where I can bail if needed.

The Montbell Versalite has pit zips, hand pockets and a much better hood than a OR Helium II, and actually weighs a bit less, with the features of the HD.

I would not get something that doesn't have pit zips, but that's me.
    Thank you. I'll check that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Oh, and did I mention - LightHeart Gear stuff is all made in the USA - in North Carolina.

Also, my take is that rain gear is to keep you warm in a cold rain - if you are backpacking in the rain - you will get wet, from rain and or sweat, you'll be wet - but warm and wet is livable, cold and wet can be a death sentence - hypothermia. The oxymoron of waterproof/breathable will mostly keep you warm and wet as well as waterproof fabrics will.

I totally agree.

Granted - you always need to consider the situation and choose your layers accordingly.
    I'm going to start my hike mostly likely in February no later than mid-March. Once the weather warms up I'll be hiking in running shorts and shirt. Getting wet won't be an issue. I plan on using a bounce box to change out gear when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    re: Down sweater

Not sure based on your post, but are you hiking in this down sweater? If so, may want to rethink that idea. Puffy insulation generally does not work well if you hike in it esp in the humid Appalachians. A simple 100 wt fleece works better as an active layer.

Finally, while weight is an important attribute, think of your backpacking style too. A very light and highly breathable rain jacket meant for trail runners pumping out of a lot of heat may not work well for someone with a more leisurely hiking style (Don't know if that is you or not. Just a consideration).

This isn't a jacket! It's an anorak, a pull over, though with a deep chest zip. Furthering Mag's suggestions I'd be asking myself the typical season wanting to use this. IMHO, even though I'm usually on the cusp between SUL and UL Anoraks don't breathe as well as full zip jacket where I can dump heat more readily through the full zip option. For this reason I like full zip UL rain jackets like the Montbell Versalite, Marmot Mica(not Super Mica), ZP's Challenger(Latest version), OR Helium II, etc as a stand alone rain jacket wearing it both as wind and rain jacket taking the 3 oz wt penalty and layering as my shell on fairer season east coast hikes while maybe layering a Montbell Tachyon, Patagonia Houdini, or something like you're considering underneath for cooler shoulder season wet weather.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Couple of things - the jacket linked to above - it's 100% nylon, they don't s ay anything about how waterproof it is other than it's waterproof - what makes it waterproof? I have a nike brand 'rain jacket' for runners - it's just a very tight weave of nylon. it repels most light rain, but it is not 'waterproof'

OTOH, I (LightHeart Gear) do make a waterproof rain jacket, and the Hoodie Pack cover. Some are in sil-nylon, but others (the brown and royal blue) are a sil/pu fabric that shed water really well, and wont' wet out. Yes, you sweat inside them - basically it's a plastic bag, but for around camp they work great.

I too would like to see some MVTR specs on this Anorak. I want to know about the weave and fabric treatment.

For what it's worth, if you decide to go water resistant/high breathability, the Houdini is a great choice and about $45 at REI right now.
    I just took a look at that one. I like it. Thanks!

I first tried the OR Helium II and IMO the Versalite's fit, zips, hood, pockets, and wrist cuffs beat the crap out of the Helium...
    I like Cmoulder's take on this for longer wetter more weather diverse hikes. A slight wt penalty is paid for the features he's referring but it makes for a more versatile apparel shell in keeping more water out and more venting options to dump heat. The extra features(and wt) of hand pockets on a rain jacket is offset by less need or no need for gloves or lower wt gloves in cooler temps. Decently adjustable stiff brimmed hood can conserve heat too possibly requiring maybe only a bandanna under it that could also offset the wt of the jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    I just took a look at that one. I like it. Thanks!
    Be careful not to confuse the wispy wind anorak/jacket as the Patagonia Houdini is with a real rain jacket. The Houdini is only a UL windbreaker not a first line of defense in heavy east coast rain. It wets out eventually, is not seam taped, is NOT WP, is only water resistant, is highly breathable, and IMO works well in cool breezy misty conditions layered underneath a real WP UL rain jacket or for done in a day fast and light activity such as a run or summit bid in fairer weather but taken along as a just in case extra protection without a huge wt hit. I'm wearing one now on a west coast coastal hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I like Cmoulder's take on this for longer wetter more weather diverse hikes. A slight wt penalty is paid for the features he's referring but it makes for a more versatile apparel shell in keeping more water out and more venting options to dump heat. The extra features(and wt) of hand pockets on a rain jacket is offset by less need or no need for gloves or lower wt gloves in cooler temps. Decently adjustable stiff brimmed hood can conserve heat too possibly requiring maybe only a bandanna under it that could also offset the wt of the jacket.

Be careful not to confuse the wispy wind anorak/jacket as the Patagonia Houdini is with a real rain jacket. The Houdini is only a UL windbreaker not a first line of defense in heavy east coast rain. It wets out eventually, is not seam taped, is NOT WP, is only water resistant, is highly breathable, and IMO works well in cool breezy misty conditions layered underneath a real WP UL rain jacket or for done in a day fast and light activity such as a run or summit bid in fairer weather but taken along as a just in case extra protection without a huge wt hit. I'm wearing one now on a west coast coastal hike.
    I'm now leaning toward going with a little heavier rain jacket during the colder months. Then switch it out to a UL for the other months.

Journal Entries
    Images

Has anyone looked at this rain jacket ?
    https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Rai...ht+rain+jacket
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++