WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ultra-Light Rain Jackets

I'm seeing what others have been using for UL rain jackets. I've been looking at the Berghaus Men's Hypersmock 2.0 Jacket with Hood. It's a pretty light and waterproof. Mostly used by trail runners. Size large comes in at 2.6 ounces, though others say it is 3.5 ounces. Does anyone have this jacket or have a suggestion for something similar?

http://usa.berghaus.com/p/mens-vapou...yper-smock-2-0
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 06-28-2016 at 12:08.

Images

Yikes! That's crazy light for a waterproof jacket, even at 3.5 oz.

worth looking in to! Here's one for $111:

http://www.wiggle.com/berghaus-vapou...7c5360750071us

It really helps to know exactly what you're looking for. Typically, trail runners are looking for something water repellent and extremely breathable. A Patagonia Houdini is probably the most common example. To be honest, I don't even bother with true waterproof rain gear during most of the year (anything above 50* or so). That has a lot to do with how much you sweat, what sort of backpacking vs camping mix you do, etc. If you're looking for something totally waterproof, extremely light, but not necessarily breathable, you can go to cuben fabrics or something similar. I've been using a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer anorak for a couple of years. It's definitely not waterproof, but it sheds most of the moisture and allows you to stay pretty comfortable while moving in a storm. It's also inexpensive and packs up to next to nothing.

Nice spot Rob. I've been researching that jacket online for about a month now and it's either in the wrong size, color or just plain out of stock.
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 06-28-2016 at 13:32.

Thanks Calebj, I'll check out your recommendation. I'm thru-hiking next year so weight is important. I'm looking for something that is waterproof, fitted with a hood and can be worn over my Patagonia Down Sweater.
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 06-28-2016 at 13:32.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

re: Down sweater

Not sure based on your post, but are you hiking in this down sweater? If so, may want to rethink that idea. Puffy insulation generally does not work well if you hike in it esp in the humid Appalachians. A simple 100 wt fleece works better as an active layer.

Finally, while weight is an important attribute, think of your backpacking style too. A very light and highly breathable rain jacket meant for trail runners pumping out of a lot of heat may not work well for someone with a more leisurely hiking style (Don't know if that is you or not. Just a consideration).

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

No such thing as a waterproof rain jacket. Its a myth. Its a unicorn of outdoor gear, the holy grail. Many seek, but none can find.

oh...hiking in down...not good. Even if its -10 I wont hike in a down jacket or sweater. Thats for when you are stopped. Take it out of the pack to preserve body heat, and put it back in when you start hiking again. You will warm up.
    Last edited by egilbe; 06-28-2016 at 15:03.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    No such thing as a waterproof rain jacket. Its a myth. Its a unicorn of outdoor gear, the holy grail. Many seek, but none can find.
    There are plenty of waterproof jackets. Not sure what the confusion is there. The problem is stopping the water from the outside without making yourself sweat from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Not sure based on your post, but are you hiking in this down sweater? If so, may want to rethink that idea. Puffy insulation generally does not work well if you hike in it esp in the humid Appalachians. A simple 100 wt fleece works better as an active layer.

Finally, while weight is an important attribute, think of your backpacking style too. A very light and highly breathable rain jacket meant for trail runners pumping out of a lot of heat may not work well for someone with a more leisurely hiking style (Don't know if that is you or not. Just a consideration).

+1

When it's cooler I use a Montbell Versalite and 100- or 150-wt fleece and some Montane Pertex rain pants. For warmer weather it's a Zpacks cuben poncho and maybe MLD silnylon rain chaps. Last October I used a Frogg Toggs rain jacket during several days of intermittent rain and outright deluges, and it was pretty darn good. It is super cheap and super light (IIRC about 5.6oz for size M, which is in fact HUGE), but alas it isn't durable at all, although it patches really well with duct tape or other repair tapes.

Never would I actually hike in down gear, anywhere, any weather, any time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    There are plenty of waterproof jackets. Not sure what the confusion is there. The problem is stopping the water from the outside without making yourself sweat from the inside.
    Indeed. I made the mistake of trading in my beat up but breathable jacket for a coated nylon type. I ended up not being able to wear it while hiking, it just got too clammy.

I meet a woman on the LT a few weeks ago who showed up dressed head to foot in a Cubin fiber rain suit. I was envious. She looked pretty dry considering the tropical down pours that afternoon.

A lot drier then I was when I showed up having used a poncho with poor results. Note to self: ponchos don't work well on overgrown trails and with gusty winds.

I would avoid sil-nylon jackets. Their really light but water bleeds through at pressure points like at the straps.

I was actually pretty impressed with the Frog Trog jacket which I finally got to try out recently. It's not real durable and a little bulky, but it's reasonably light, inexpensive and kept me dry and warm with minimal clamminess.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

I never hear any comments on the packa. Does anyone use them? If so, what are the pros and cons? I have a knock-off version, for when I get caught out in a real rain, but I haven't had cause to use it yet. I think of the sake of ease, I would rather put that whole thing over me and my pack and call it done in a storm instead of having to stop and dismount my pack and dig out my rain gear and basically do a wardrobe change in the rain, unless the packa type thing really sucks and I just don't know it yet?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I never hear any comments on the packa. Does anyone use them? If so, what are the pros and cons? I have a knock-off version, for when I get caught out in a real rain, but I haven't had cause to use it yet. I think of the sake of ease, I would rather put that whole thing over me and my pack and call it done in a storm instead of having to stop and dismount my pack and dig out my rain gear and basically do a wardrobe change in the rain, unless the packa type thing really sucks and I just don't know it yet?
    I bought one recently, used it for 3 trips so far. I certainly like the simplicity of the concept. Some flexibility with ventilation and I used it on one warm day just as a pack cover when I didn't mind the light rain on me.

Ordinarily I put a pack cover on pretty quick when it starts raining but tend to wait until it's really serious before I get out the rain suit. With the packa I have tended to put it on right away and stay dry, which is I have liked.

I do miss my rain jacket for windy breaks to help preserve heat; the packa just seems too much for a dry break. So I'll probably start taking a tyvek hazmat jacket or something for that, adding a complication and weight, or maybe just start trying to use the packa on breaks.

Images

Couple of things - the jacket linked to above - it's 100% nylon, they don't s ay anything about how waterproof it is other than it's waterproof - what makes it waterproof? I have a nike brand 'rain jacket' for runners - it's just a very tight weave of nylon. it repels most light rain, but it is not 'waterproof'

OTOH, I (LightHeart Gear) do make a waterproof rain jacket, and the Hoodie Pack cover. Some are in sil-nylon, but others (the brown and royal blue) are a sil/pu fabric that shed water really well, and wont' wet out. Yes, you sweat inside them - basically it's a plastic bag, but for around camp they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    I'm seeing what others have been using for UL rain jackets.
    I use an OR Helium HD. Had to size up because of the slim fit, and my XL weighs 9.7oz.
    The really UL shells don't have pit-zips, which I consider mandatory, so I wasn't likely to find something a whole lot lighter.
    It's a "good" jacket. Nothing super special about it, but it does have some nice features. Works like a typical 2.5 layer shell, is fairly light and has bigger pit zips than most.
    OR, so it's warrantied for life, and construction quality is good. It's seen some rough conditions(though not a lot of time in use) and has performed very well so far.
    Got mine marked down to $88, and think it was a great buy.

That Berghaus jacket has way too many negatives and compromises for me to consider something like that for a general purpose rain jacket, though the weight sure is intriguing. Doubt it would stand up to use with a pack, no pitzips for venting, no hood adjustability, plus the waterproofing and breathability's ratings aren't great(15k HH and 10k MVTR from an article I saw on a search). It's a slim fit, so unless you size up it's unlikely to fit over a puffy in camp, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Those are some good points. I run very warm so most likely I would be wearing my base and my mid-weight merino wool long sleeve while hiking. In camp I would wear my sweater jacket.
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 06-29-2016 at 13:31.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Couple of things - the jacket linked to above - it's 100% nylon, they don't s ay anything about how waterproof it is other than it's waterproof - what makes it waterproof? I have a nike brand 'rain jacket' for runners - it's just a very tight weave of nylon. it repels most light rain, but it is not 'waterproof'

OTOH, I (LightHeart Gear) do make a waterproof rain jacket, and the Hoodie Pack cover. Some are in sil-nylon, but others (the brown and royal blue) are a sil/pu fabric that shed water really well, and wont' wet out. Yes, you sweat inside them - basically it's a plastic bag, but for around camp they work great.
    I'll check that out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post

I'll check that one out too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I use an OR Helium HD. Had to size up because of the slim fit, and my XL weighs 9.7oz.
    The really UL shells don't have pit-zips, which I consider mandatory, so I wasn't likely to find something a whole lot lighter.
    It's a "good" jacket. Nothing super special about it, but it does have some nice features. Works like a typical 2.5 layer shell, is fairly light and has bigger pit zips than most.
    OR, so it's warrantied for life, and construction quality is good. It's seen some rough conditions(though not a lot of time in use) and has performed very well so far.
    Got mine marked down to $88, and think it was a great buy.

That Berghaus jacket has way too many negatives and compromises for me to consider something like that for a general purpose rain jacket, though the weight sure is intriguing. Doubt it would stand up to use with a pack, no pitzips for venting, no hood adjustability, plus the waterproofing and breathability's ratings aren't great(15k HH and 10k MVTR from an article I saw on a search). It's a slim fit, so unless you size up it's unlikely to fit over a puffy in camp, either.
    Thanks. I'd hate to drop $100 plus on the Berghaus and it blows.

The Montbell Versalite has pit zips, hand pockets and a much better hood than a OR Helium II, and actually weighs a bit less, with the features of the HD.

I would not get something that doesn't have pit zips, but that's me.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-29-2016 at 13:40.

Images

Staying dry during rain in the warmer months just doesn't happen if you're hiking or running.A few months ago I was hiking in some pretty heavy showers in the Grayson Highlands area.It was in the 60s and I was wearing Houdini pants and a Marmot Trail wind hoody.I was wet from sweat anyway then came the rain.Protection from winds which can chill you and the lighter fabrics helped.Once it stopped raining I was surprised at how quick my jacket and pants dried out.I had a GoLite 7oz. rain jacket to stay dry in camp in my pack.Waterproof/breathable fabrics work well in cold temps when staying dry is more important.Some folks take the UL thing serious to the point of being under prepared for some weather conditions.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++