WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pack size

Default Pack size

I'm thinking of getting a 60L pack. I know what's recommended is to get everything you need and see if it fits in the pack, but I just won't be able to do that because I'll need different things for each trip. I imagine the longest trip I'll take is 6-7 nights. But I will also have my dog and be carrying all of her food (about 5-6 lbs/7days) but will be restocking my own food every 3ish days. I will be hiking mostly in the summer, but maybe sometimes in the spring or fall for a few nights here or there as well. So what do y'all think? Could I manage with 60L? Thanks for the help answering all my questions, y'all are the best!

It really depends on the rest of your gear. I have several packs for different situations. I havent found a one-pack-fits-all, yet.

ZPacks 60L Arc Haul has bungees on the side to cinch it down to a smaller size and volume.

It has load adjusters and torso adjustment for fit, that could be used to micro-adjust the load transfer to the hip belt more accurately for a different load.

It would be a tight fit, but I think it's possible. My dogs carry their own food for up to four nights and I can fit 5 days of food easily in my Arc Haul. I do however have very light-weight, minimal gear and wouldn't recommend going over their recommended carry weight of 35lbs.

I'd also recommend you get a small pack/harness for the dog so he can carry his own food and water

Waw Hiker's video shows his dog Cooper's Ruffwear pack.

I also carry my pups gear and food, my ULA circuit has enough room for me all seasons. With that said I just bought a 40l GG Gorilla to try out as 60l is really larger than I need unless carrying a bear can. My pup used to carry a pack but had chaffing issues so I ditched it and carry all his stuff. He's only a 20 lb jrt though. Just recently bought turbo pup bars instead of food as easier to meal plan. He gets 2 bars per day per the mfg recommendations at 20lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wifes osprey aura 65, which is really 62 in her size. Easily fits all her stuff and our daughters and has room for food. Something to think about is sizing is not consistent. Her 65 seems to be about the same size as my Kelty 90, mine just has tons of stupid pockets that are not very useful. We also tried out the rei flash 60 and it was significantly smaller.

I have a 46L and will eventually move to a 60-65L for longer trips. My longest so far was 3 nights and the 46 was at the limit!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    It really depends on the rest of your gear. I have several packs for different situations. I havent found a one-pack-fits-all, yet.
    It really does depend on the volume of the other gear you carry. For instance, a winter synthetic sleeping bag is going to take up a TON of room compared to a summer down bag or quilt. I have an Osprey Atmos 65 AG that will carry a winter load of 30-40lbs easily at the cost of 2 extra pounds. I use it to carry my son's winter gear as well as mine. My ULA Circuit can do it too, but I prefer to stay under 30lbs for winter and summer, so it doesn't see that kind of action.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a 70 mystery ranch glacier. I want to be able to fit some luxery items and not have things dangling off my pack. My sleeping mat rolls up and fits inside the spot for a bag, I got a rev quilt coming in 8-10weeks. I went with a pack I believe will last. It's a heavy pack 5lbs but worth all of them to me. I'm right at 30 with a few days food and 4 liters. I also like water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jacko213 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a 60L pack. I know what's recommended is to get everything you need and see if it fits in the pack, but I just won't be able to do that because I'll need different things for each trip. I imagine the longest trip I'll take is 6-7 nights. But I will also have my dog and be carrying all of her food (about 5-6 lbs/7days) but will be restocking my own food every 3ish days. I will be hiking mostly in the summer, but maybe sometimes in the spring or fall for a few nights here or there as well. So what do y'all think? Could I manage with 60L? Thanks for the help answering all my questions, y'all are the best!
    Nobody could possibly answer your question. You have given no information on your gear. A down quilt will take up a small fraction of space as a synthetic bag. Are you taking a tent or tarp? If so what kind? Ain't mat or foam? What kind? I can fit my gear and 6-7 days of food in a 38l pack. Others couldn't fit their gear in a 90l pack. Likely, you will be somewhere in between. Where? A little more info would help.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Nobody could possibly answer your question. You have given no information on your gear. A down quilt will take up a small fraction of space as a synthetic bag. Are you taking a tent or tarp? If so what kind? Ain't mat or foam? What kind? I can fit my gear and 6-7 days of food in a 38l pack. Others couldn't fit their gear in a 90l pack. Likely, you will be somewhere in between. Where? A little more info would help.
    +
    Not to mention, one 60L pack may be 50L , and one may be 75. Depends on how the volume was determined, and what was included. Cottage packs typically include everything, heavier packs typically are only main bag volume without extension collar. Some are calculated, some are actually measured by stuffing things in them. For all practicle purposes, the Liter number is of little value.

Winter ski trip, five days with dog, 48L with my first day's food (or equivalent volume of other stuff) on the outside of the pack.
    Summer, five day trip with dog, 38L pack with room to spare.

Summer 4 day trip with wife, 55L pack, could probably force the 48L but it doesn't carry over 30 lbs very comfortably.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    ZPacks 60L Arc Haul has bungees on the side to cinch it down to a smaller size and volume.

It has load adjusters and torso adjustment for fit, that could be used to micro-adjust the load transfer to the hip belt more accurately for a different load.
    +1 for Arc Haul, and also get the accessory lumbar pad with it, which most people seem to end up needing. I needed it even for a very light load, under 20 lbs.

The side compression cord works amazingly well in its stock configuration — just pull the cord on the LL3 and it somehow compresses surprisingly evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Winter ski trip, five days with dog, 48L with my first day's food (or equivalent volume of other stuff) on the outside of the pack.
    Summer, five day trip with dog, 38L pack with room to spare.

Summer 4 day trip with wife, 55L pack, could probably force the 48L but it doesn't carry over 30 lbs very comfortably.
    Similar to my experience. Maybe I would use a 70-liter mountaineering pack if I were doing McKinley (or whatever it is the bamster calls it these days, lol) but what the heck are people carrying that requires 70L capacity in the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Similar to my experience. Maybe I would use a 70-liter mountaineering pack if I were doing McKinley (or whatever it is the bamster calls it these days, lol) but what the heck are people carrying that requires 70L capacity in the summer?
    I think I used about a 70L maybe even 80L pack once on an 11 day mountaineering trip. Pack was 90-95 lbs, and I was young and silly enough to think it was fun. Something about 11 days of food, ropes, crampons, mountaineering tent, ice tools etc. . . one of the most dramatic, joyful and memorable times in my life.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just do not like a stuffed full to the brim pack. Or anything hanging off from my pack

I have a jansport katahdin 60L pack. Plenty roomy for one week's worth of food and everything else in the summer. But in the winter, with the extra clothes and bulkier sleeping bag, it's a challenge to get everything to fit.
    As was said earlier, it really depends on too many variables to give proper advice.

The Arc Haul is 60L including the side pockets for water bottles and the front mesh pocket. I added top mesh pockets and the hip belt pockets. The only thing I have attached/hanging off the outside of my pack is my foam sit-pad/dog bed and a long sleeve shirt that I often end up putting on when I pause for breaks. I find it more than adequate for me and my gear (Duplex, 10° down quilt, travel pillow, clothes, inflatable sleep pad)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++