WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Jersey or Connecticut?

Guys,

I have to choose between NJ or CO sections do hike this mid-July. Donīt know the differences and total hiking time of both.

Any preferences?

Sorry for my English, Iīm from Brazil.

Images

birdscope,

Haven't been to either, so just throwing out some info from appalachiantrail.org to possibly help you decide:

NJ: 72 miles, 350-1685 elevation, July average temp - HOT (for me at least)
    CT: 51 miles, 260-2316 elevation, July average temp - HOT (for me at least)

So, looks about same in distance, though a little more elevation in CT (towards the end if headed NOBO).
    Maybe consider where it would be easier to get a ride to and from.
    Weather should be about the same as the states pretty much border each other.

Hopefully some folks who have done both will be able to guide you based on which has more to see/do.

Safe hike

Alex

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birdscope View Post
    I have to choose between NJ or CO sections do hike this mid-July. Donīt know the differences and total hiking time of both. Any preferences? Sorry for my English, Iīm from Brazil.
    Pretty good English, I'd say! But just so you know, "CO" is the US Post Office abbreviation for Colorado. "CT" is the abbreviation for Connecticut. You spelled it out here, but don't want you to have confusion down the road in another venue.

I have hiked both NJ and CT in recent years. Just did CT last month, in fact. Each is worthwhile and has it's great points. One thing I'd investigate is water sources for July. That could make or break a hike.

Both states forbid campfires and both require you to camp at designated campsites. NJ has the highest density of bears of any AT state.

Is there a difference in transportation and shuttling for your travels? Might that be the deciding factor?

Otherwise, don't regret picking either state over the other, I'd say.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 06-30-2016 at 13:05.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks man, any other state trail section youīve heard good impressions about?

Marcos

Images

Both are pretty cool little sections of the AT, but overall, I'd go for CT in July vs. NJ; might be a tad cooler, maybe locals can chime in on July weather.

NJ was a nice state along the AT though, maybe because it was right after PA though.... (and anything would seem nice after PA, sorry PA residents....).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    NJ was a nice state along the AT though, maybe because it was right after PA though.... (and anything would seem nice after PA, sorry PA residents....).
    Can't get offended if it's true.
    So you're not a fan of Rocksylvania?
    Although I've heard the southern third of the state is about the easiest part of the AT.

Many thanks, Rain Man!! Also for the languageīs compliment. No difference on transport/shuttling, just read good data about both sections, but open to suggestions. But would like very much to see a bear, only heard them once at night, doing the Florida Trail last year.

Marcos

There shouldn't be a lot of difference in either climate or rainfall between the two sections. NJ may be said to have a few more dramatic views, certainly more bears and the occasional rattlesnake to give you a thrill. But as Rain Man said, you can't make a bad choice.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

NJ will have a lot of blueberries to pick in July and there are a number of ponds you can wade in and a few you can swim in to cool off with on a hot day. Water is a problem, you will have to carry lots of it as sources are few and far between during the summer. After High Point, NJ, the trail wanders along the NJ/NY boarder so sometimes your in NJ and sometimes your in NY, but it's 72 miles to where your officially in NY. Just beyond there is a 14 mile stretch of trail nick named "agony grind" or something like that due to short, but frequent and very steep rock climbs. Not a nice section on a very hot and humid day.

Connecticut isn't all that interesting except for the very end at Bear Mt and the next 10 miles into Massachusetts. But for the most part it's pretty easy hiking, although they did manage to find a couple of difficult places for you to go up or down.

The main disadvantage of these sections are they a pretty expensive in terms of resupply and if any lodging is required. I spent $100 just on food in 3 days in NY near the Huston river crossing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Let me make a suggestion.
    If you decide on New Jersey then consider adding part of New York, up to the Hudson River.
    The river is kind of a natural dividing line.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    If you decide on New Jersey then consider adding part of New York, up to the Hudson River.
    I will concur with LI Hiker....and I am from Connecticut. The west side of the Hudson is a wonderful walk...............where I have seen many more Bears than when I walked thru New Jersey!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    met a LD hiker out hiking once who said there was no such thing as NJ as far as the AT went. the first part of NJ is really just the end of PA, the second part of NJ is really just the start of NY.

i'm never one for hiking to state lines, especially not when, as is often the case, theyre in the middle of nowhere, as is the case with both NJ and CT, at least partially. lets hope this thread doesnt progress into the inevitable discussion of where exactly the CT/MA border is and how to hike only up to it and no further.

Conecttacut...jerseys to crowded.

Coming from Brazil, July in either state will feel just like home. Hot. Humid.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

If you do CT, take it south-to-north and continue on a tiny bit into Mass, as the section from Bear Mtn through to Jug End is very nice indeed!

++ New Posts ++