WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cookpot and windscreen suggestion?

I'll be using a SnowPeak gigapower stove and need something to cook/eat in. This is something I could upgrade later, so I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want something super heavy, so I'm looking for a balance. Any suggestions?

Do I need a windscreen if I'll be doing most of my cooking at shelters? What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance and happy trails!

Journal Entries

You can get a small stainless cup at fleamarkets from china for $1, and use watter bottles and gear as windscreen. Without windscreen, fuel use goes thru roof in a breeze

With a topper type canister stove such as the Giga you've got to be careful not to use a windscreen that encloses both the stove and the canister, because the canister might overheat and explode at temps above approx 125°F (overall canister temperature!)

Best to use, as MW suggests, large items of gear or also natural items such as rocks, rock ledges, tree trunks etc.

GSI Soloist.

As for a pot, hard to know personal preferences but something like THIS is pretty reasonable. Hard-anodized Aluminum is a good option and generally 1/3 the cost of titanium.

Be very careful about using windscreens w/ canister stoves.

As for pots, GSI makes the aforementioned Soloist (1.1L) pot w/ bowl, spork, waterproof stuff sack, & stove protector (~ $45). For $15 less, they also make essentially the same pot but w/o all the fancy fixings. Both are good pots.

For the true budget hiker, Walmart sells the Umusa 12 cm mug/pot that is about 1L in size. I bought mine a couple years ago for $2.97. You'll need to make a pie-tin lid & use your bandana to insulate your hands when you take it off the stove.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    As for a pot, hard to know personal preferences but something like THIS is pretty reasonable. Hard-anodized Aluminum is a good option and generally 1/3 the cost of titanium.
    I have the XLS version of this pot and it is awesome. Not UL, but bombroof. I like the anodized coating and the proprtions which are a 1 to 1 height to diameter ratio (approx). I don't like pots that are tall and skinny or short and wide. Mine has the heat exchanger which increases efficiency. I use it with an alcohol stove but have always thought it might work well with a canister stove. I thought the heat exchanger which extends about an inch below the perimeter might act as a bit of a windscreen in addition to capturing more heat. Would be curious if anyone had experience with this combo.

If cooking for two, I really like 1.5 liter cookware.

I suggest, make your selection based on heating two cups hot water, if cooking for one.

I have a 750 ml Vargo Titanium Sierra I like because I can heat 2-cups water with no boil-over, plus I can saute and use a spatula. If you like straight sides, Toaks has a titanium 600 ml with or without handles.

I have a titanium windscreen, because it "springs back".

I haven't purchased this, but the price is favorable. I paid more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017I...I35X0Q8HDHFEC5

I do not use aluminum foil because it deteriorates too rapidly to use more than a 2-3X, if that: heat makes it brittle.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I do not use aluminum foil because it deteriorates too rapidly to use more than a 2-3X, if that: heat makes it brittle.
    Aluminum roof flashing (like this) also works well and lasts infinitely longer than foil. It's also much, much, much cheaper than the titanium stuff.

The Gigapower has its own custom windscreen. They are $10. Get one! Some complain that they aren't Titaniun, but the stainless steel is only a couple ounces.
    For cookware, I like something about 5" wide, as the flames sort of spread out from the stove rather than blasting straight up.
    If you have a good outfitter near you, try out different sized pots to see how well you can nest the windscreen, fuel cans and possibly your stove.

This diy beer can windscreen works good.. Cheap greese pot or I like my SP600 but not cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I learned something new — I never realized Sierra Nevada Pale Ale came in a can.

With any of these close-fitting windscreens, quite often the turbulence behind them is still going to be pretty bad, enough to blow out the burner. What is needed is a wind-sheltered AREA of calm air, which is why stacking up a fairly large rock shield or pack items helps so much. If actual wind-worthiness were my top priority I'd definitely be looking at the MSR Windboiler, which operates extremely well in direct, gale-force winds.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-02-2016 at 07:20.

Well I learned something new — I never realized Sierra Nevada Pale Ale came in a can.

With any of these close-fitting windscreens, quite often the turbulence behind them is still going to be pretty bad, enough to blow out the burner. What is needed is a wind-sheltered AREA of calm air, which is why stacking up a fairly large rock shield or pack items helps so much. If actual wind-worthiness were my top priority I'd definitely be looking at the MSR Windboiler, which operates extremely well in direct, gale-force winds.
    Yep sure do....best part of this diy was emptying the cans...I've had good luck with this windscreen as I used it on top of max patch in heavy unprotected wind with no issues.

I use a section of an Al disposable baking pan - heavier than foil, lighter than roof flashing. With care (not getting it too close which may cause the canister to overheat) and going about 3/4 the way around it will last for weeks. I carry it rolled inside my pot.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Be very careful about using windscreens w/ canister stoves.

As for pots, GSI makes the aforementioned Soloist (1.1L) pot w/ bowl, spork, waterproof stuff sack, & stove protector (~ $45). For $15 less, they also make essentially the same pot but w/o all the fancy fixings. Both are good pots.

For the true budget hiker, Walmart sells the Umusa 12 cm mug/pot that is about 1L in size. I bought mine a couple years ago for $2.97. You'll need to make a pie-tin lid & use your bandana to insulate your hands when you take it off the stove.
    I just checked Walmart online. Unusable 12 cm mug is gone. Unavailable.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Imusa mug. Autospell. Yuck

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Yep sure do....best part of this diy was emptying the cans...
    Gotta love any project that starts off "Step One: Drink 2 beers"

Many of my alcohol stove projects start off with "Feed the dog some cat food."
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-03-2016 at 07:23.

Imusa 12cm still available thru Amazon, of course!

One-stop shopping for Imusa in general is Minibulldesign Cult. If the 10cm Imusa (which holds about 2.5 cups) is good enough, you can also get a lid for it from Minibulldesign. Getting a tad spendy for both at $17 +shipping, but light and durable enough.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-03-2016 at 07:24.

Gotta love any project that starts off "Step One: Drink 2 beers"

Many of my alcohol stove projects start off with "Feed the dog some cat food."
    Haaaa that's exactly what I did several years ago when I made a super cat stove...only alchy stove I ever built....dogs love cat food and cat crap.....nasty animals....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++