WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Grand Teton National Park

All of my hiking experience has been on the AT, Kentucky, TN or Georgia. I decided today that I need to broaden my experience level to the west. I know nothing about it, but I know I have all the gear needed to do a trip to Grand Teton National Park.

If folks could ramble about anything from what time of year is best, to do you need a down puffy year round, a thick down or light down?

Tarptent Strato2 appropriate or do I need the Hilleberg with guy lines?

Daily mileages compared to enjoying 15-20 mile days on the AT?

Bear awareness, canisters (required or recommended)?

I am looking at the Grand Teton Crest Trail, I think it is 40 miles? but I would probably try and find a 20 mile loop to add to that The landscape looks like something you could most definitely do 8 miles a day and enjoy the views.

Just looking for an abundance of knowledge to educate myself
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

I'd go no earlier than mid-late August, bugs should be gone by then. definitely a light down (or synthetic) sweater/jacket for evenings and mornings along with a rain shell and pants.

Just FWIW, I'd consider doing something close but not in GTNP, like for example, Cirque of the towers area:

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/cirq...-wind-river-wy

I've yet to do this hike specifically, though I have been in this area a couple times, incredible area. also: I believe the grizzly bear habitat has shrunk such that this would not be a worry like it might be in GTNP.

I love GTNP, mostly to climb, but I just don't want to backpack there (unless it's on a long climb).

Images

On yeah, generally easy terrain compared to the PUD's of the AT. Also, a tad lower altitudes than Colorado, though you still might have a bit of acclimation to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

Just FWIW, I'd consider doing something close but not in GTNP, like for example, Cirque of the towers area:

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/cirq...-wind-river-wy

I love GTNP, mostly to climb, but I just don't want to backpack there (unless it's on a long climb).
    Why something close but not in GTNP?
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I loved the Teton Crest Trail. The scenery was stunning. I did it in late July, and the wildflowers were incredible. As Colorado_Rob says, you may have to deal with some acclimatization. If you just want a first western hike, that would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I was in the same boat last year and I am heading to the Wind River Range in late August this year (6 weeks from tomorrow). We chose the WRR vs Tetons because of the permits and designated campsites required for the Tetons. We are doing 6 days in the WRR with a general route but we are free to deviate as much as we would like which is what we wanted for our first week long trip out west. I will be sure to post a trip report when we get back.

The crowds!

Info on backcountry camping here:

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/back.htm

All of my hiking experience has been on the AT, Kentucky, TN or Georgia. I decided today that I need to broaden my experience level to the west. I know nothing about it, but I know I have all the gear needed to do a trip to Grand Teton National Park.

If folks could ramble about anything from what time of year is best, to do you need a down puffy year round, a thick down or light down?

I am looking at the Grand Teton Crest Trail, I think it is 40 miles? but I would probably try and find a 20 mile loop to add to that The landscape looks like something you could most definitely do 8 miles a day and enjoy the views.

GOOD for you. Many ways to add on 20-60 miles to a Teton Crest Tr hike. You're in the midst of not only Grand Teton NP but also near Wind River Range, Yellowstone NP, Gros Venture Wilderness, Caribou-Targhee Nat Forest, etc. There are different ways to get up to the crest too, some requiring an additional 10 miles or so or maybe even none at all if you get up to the crest by taking the tram from Jackson Hole. So lots of ways to design your specific distance desired to hike. As Francis Tapon "The Onion" inspired me I too chose to add a Grand Teton NP onto a CDT SOBO thru. It's not difficult hiking from say Yellowstone NP around Shoshone Lake down the Bechler River TR(Lots of neet waterfalls, hot soaks) to Grassy Lake Rd(stopping by Union Falls, Y NP's highest waterfall) to get a canister a Flagg Ranch and picking up the Teton Crest Tr from the north side by hiking through Caribou Targhee Nat Forest to attain the crest.

Here's a map of the Teton Crest Trail system within GT NP. http://overlandundersea.com/travel-b...n-crest-trail/

Yes, can needed for the TCT. Remember this is Grizz country too. Cans can be rented at other GT NP Backcountry Offices( Jenny Lake, etc)

The Teton Crest Trail is alpine country meaning unpredictable weather. It has snowed on me in August.

I've pulled walk up permits for the Teton Crest Tr in late July and mid Aug(BUSY season) from Jenny Lake with little fanfare so don't let the naysayers say it's crowded or hard to get permits particularly if you're amendable to various campsite scenarios and adjusting your most desired agenda. Should go without saying but getting permits for the TCT should be approached by you having various alternate scenarios already researched BEFORE heading to get the permit.

As typical in most NPs the crowds for the large part are kept on a short leash tethered to conveniences like ferries, automobiles, buffets, etc, whatever is the easiest. Get away from the front country much less demand from crowds.

Images

somewhat the crowds, but mostly because I like backpacking in the winds better, it's just darn spectacular, the best in NW Wyoming. Nothing at all wrong with GTNP though, I just prefer the winds. If you choose GTNP, you will fight crowds getting into the park and so forth, but once on the trail, no biggie. The gros ventre area is cool and all but not really spectacular like the winds and GTNP.

Looks like grizzly habitat has re-expanded down into the winds, seems like just 10 years ago or so they were never seen there, now apparently they have. Practice excellent bear discipline! I'd personally carry spray. Grizzly's are the only wild animal that concerns me anywhere in the US. From this site:

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com...-distribution/

"Grizzly bears are expanding outwards from Yellowstone and have moved down the Wind River and Wyoming ranges, Further south than Lander Wyoming"

Wherever you wind up, you can't go wrong in central and NW Wyoming.

I live in Wyoming and your Strato 2 will be just fine. I would echo the late July to late August timing suggestion also.

I would go camping in any Wyoming mountain region without at least a 20°F sleeping bag and a good pad. I have seen it freeze in mid August at 9000 ft. A decent but not huge down jacket is a must as evenings/nights/early mornings are routinely in the high 30s and low 40s.

GTNP requires bear canisters. The WRR does not. Yellowstone does not, but does require you to hang food bags. I wouldn't want to mess with the Grizzlies.

Teton is gorgeous but I get nervous in Grizzly country so I stick with the Big Horns which are off most people's radars! In fact I start the 55+ mile loop of the Cloud Peak wilderness next Thursday :-)

The Winds are arguably the best backpacking in the lower 48.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Dune, did we discuss the guidebook I have for the Solitude Loop trail, by Bonney & Bonney? It is the best, and most accurate, description of the route.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Hmmmm....
    July, August, September. All good. Gets better each month. Labor Day all the Griswolds leave. Best time but you miss the wildflowers.
    TCT:
    A link above mentioned permits for specific campsites. Yes and no. Some segments are areas where the Rangers send X number of people and find your own spot. Not all of the trail is in the Park.
    Rent bear cans? Maybe. I thought the Park provided them along with ice axes if needed. Check all of this with the Backcountry Office verbally before you get there. After the 1st of September I don't think a walk up permit will be difficult. I would not reserve a trip unless I had a very limited schedule during peak season. Heck, it could rain on your reserved days. Bummer.
    Definitely allow a few days for day hiking and check out the Backcountry Office.
    "Snowed on in August". Who hasn't? That's why I go. Rarely over 1-3 inches. Here today. Gone tomorrow. A non-issue.
    While freak light snow in summer happens occasionally, nighttime temps in the 20s are more regular the latter you go.
    I never go to the Rockies without my down vest and hood Gore-Tex parka. Seasonal layers to suit the calendar. Think Roan Highlands Grayson Highlands in late March. Daytime temps can get to 80 and change.
    I've got some links stashed away I'll share when I get to the computer.
    Congratulations. You won't regret going West.
    Do not overlook Yellowstone.
    A lot of good Wyoming trip reports here:
    www.backcountry.com
    One more thing:
    I've never been rained on in the Tetons. I've always seen some rain in Yellowstone. Go figure.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Dune, did we discuss the guidebook I have for the Solitude Loop trail, by Bonney & Bonney? It is the best, and most accurate, description of the route.
    We did. I am familiar with most of the routes into the wilderness so with the map, the Falcon guide and my current experience I should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    The Winds are arguably the best backpacking in the lower 48.
    Doing that 10 days starting August 1. Have the maps and a few books and starting to dive into the research. Online info seems more fragmented and sketchily anecdotal than for many of the areas I've backpacked in, hard to get a handle. Most of the descriptions, for example, talk about rocky trails but most of the pictures I see even on the ascents show nice dirt paths. That's what I'm used to from, say: Glacier, the Tetons, Maroon Bells; as opposed to say the White Mountains in New Hampshire (now THAT's rocky!)

My link above is just a gear shop.
    It should be:
    www.backcountrypost.com
    And this about the Teton Crest Trail.
    http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/hiki...e-teton-crest/
    Enjoy!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Default high

Hiked Teton Crest trail about 4 years ago. Hammocked every night, but a couple 'on the ground' due to lack of trees. We took 5 nights to go from the top of the Tram to Jenny Lake. Carried down vest, fleece top and rain coat and pants for warmth. We had to turn around due to a late afternoon thunderstorm at Lake Solitude
    The altitude is an issue. (but so is age, lol) Don't plan on making the miles that you do on the AT. Enjoy the scenery!
    Hiking in the west is different from the AT. Warm and low humidity during the day. (hydrate) It cools off quickly at sundown (due to low humidity) and warms up quickly in the morning. We had snow flurries in early September, but does not feel as cold as the east.
    The night sky is unbelievable! If you have never been in high altitude, low humidity, away from light pollution, conditions.....you will be mesmerized by the amount of stars, planets, and satellites that you will see.
    Any hike in the west is awesome! Winds, Glacier, Yellowstone, Sawtooths, Bob Marshall, Rocky Mtns Nat park,Selway, Teton Crest, Salmon River, Loon Creek .... you can't go wrong. They are all great!
    I prefer not hiking in National Parks, due to regulations, but some of the best hikes have been in NP's. I prefer Wilderness Areas,
    but will be hiking Olympic NP in August.
    Bear canisters were required on the Teton Crest, but I believe they were issued by the park service free (or nominal charge).
    Have fun on your Teton hike!

I doubt that you will need the Hilleberg tent. The SS 2 is quite wind worthy.
    Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++