Default Hiking Shoes for women

I would like some input concerning the best kinds of shoes to wear on the AT. I have one weak ankle due to a sprang a few years ago. I prefer light weight runner shoes. But I want to take care of my ankles on a hike. Tennis like shoes or heavy boots? What is your take on this?
    Sandra

I had a sprained ankle, once.

I had a lace-up ankle wrap. I recommend something like this:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...5-03fd13b5eb58

Wear it, or not, loosen it or not.. suit yourself.

Images

I have only sectioned hiked parts of the AT. Harpers Ferry thru PA, MA, NH and Maine. I always thought I needed ankle support of boots. When I switched to trail runners I found I actually had less ankle issues. Hiking in rocks and roots my experience was my boots got hung up and stuck between rocks causing me to twist more than my trail runners. Planning on Trail runners for my 2017 thru hike. Dirty girl gaters are awesome for keeping leaves, sand and trail debris out of your shoes. My experience - old tired knees and ankles. As Connie suggested take an ankle brace if you're worried.

I started my hike last year in a pair of Merrill Moab mids. They were comfortable but I didnt feel like the "mid" actually provided much in ankle support. I dont have ankle issues so that was not a problem for me. They were also gortex and kind of hot. Once they got wet in the Smokies they stayed wet for a long time. In Virginia I switched to Salomon Speedcross 3. Loved, loved, loved those shoes. They were also my choice for my 3rd pair. For my 4th pair I bought the Salomon XA Pro. I thought I would need something a little more substantial for New Hampshire and Maine. I liked those as well but if I were starting again I would go for the Speedcross. I think the idea of bringing an ankle brace with you might be a good idea. I hiked a lot with BonBon who did have some ankle issues. Maybe she will weigh in with her shoe choices.

Hi! I've had several sprains and broken one ankle in two spots. I section hike the AT in Maryland, but only day hikes, with a day pack. Like Kizzybean, I prefer trail running shoes over hiking boots. I feel that I have more flexibility and control. And I agree too with Connie, take along an ankle wrap and use it if you need.
    Really, the only time I wear "real" hiking boots now is when I work at a Park and will be standing a lot during the shift.

Hi! I just finished a 90 mile section hike of the AT in Brooks Cascadia 11s. LOVED them. Great shoe, good traction, zero blisters and didn't have any issues with my ankles (also weak ankles from years of sprained or rolled ankles playing sports). They did get wet in the Smokies but still didn't have any issues with blistering. Hope that helps. Have fun!

Journal Entries
    Images

I just got back from a small section hike in the White Mountains. I wore Hoka One One boots. Loved the arch support, in fact I forgot my orthotics but was still OK. For ankle and arch support I wore a slip on toeless sort of sock which worked well. However, after reading other posts it makes sense that the heavier boots get hung up in rocky spots. There were a few times when my footing slipped and i was glad for both my trekking poles plus all the ankle support. While waiting for my ride at Pinkham Notch one of the volunteers mentioned that among the injuries on the mountain that day one had a broken ankle

Try low hiking shoes i find salomon, are very comfortable, if your need something for your angles i just carry ace wrap, use on body part needed.

I have broken my left ankle 3 times, once needing surgery. I hike in Merrell Moabs - my doctor told me the most important thing for protecting my ankle was heel cup which helps keep a weak ankle from rotating. I also learned to quite literally pay attention to every step and foot placement. I have very rarely had even a small slip because I am cautious on where I place me feet and what I step on. This is what has likely saved me from reinjury in all my miles and as a secondary benefit, results is the closest I have come to being able to quiet my mind and meditate as the constant focus on hiking really clears my mind.

I'm not sure how much boots really protect you from turning your ankle. I think they are good to protect you from cuts and abrasions but would not really prevent a twist. Maybe the heavier, stiffer boots but then you are hiking with a weighted brick on each foot. I think the uality of the support under your feet is much more important that having something around your ankle.

I also hike rocky trails and find running shoes too soft. Not only can I feel every small rock through the sole but they allow too much flex in my foot and aggravates old injuries due to the flex, especially when carrying a heavy pack. This gets old quick on a hike over a couple of miles distance.

I have often wondered about hiking in tennis/running shoes because I know that even my trail running shoes are just mesh on top and my foot moves around. I actually don't like them very much for that reason. I feel like my foot slips off the sole of the shoe - but I also over pronate so that doesn't help the situation. I too feel like I can feel everything beneath my feet. I bought a pair of Salomon Quest high top boots. I'm not sure to what degree I like them and I am certainly not counting on them to protect my ankles from sprains but I do feel pretty stable in them so far. I agree with a previous poster about watching where you step. I have found that helps me more than whatever shoe I am wearing. That and rolling a tennis ball/softball under my foot at night. Even a golf ball helps some.

My wife has ankle issues, she is planning to thru hike with Altra Lone Peak shoes. I hate them, she loves the stability and cushion.

++ New Posts ++