WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian Trail hiker attacked by animal near Waynesboro - WRIC

WRIC

Appalachian Trail hiker attacked by animal near Waynesboro
    WRIC
    (WHSV) — According to 8News affiliate WHSV, a mountain lion attack was reported along the Appalachian Trail in Southwest Virginia Friday. The attack occurred near Humpback Rock in Augusta County, south of Waynesboro, Friday afternoon, according to ...

More...

Why are they so reluctant to declare it a mountain lion? The man is in stable condition. Can't he tell them what attacked him?

They've had less than a day to sort out the story. The victim may be stable but not able to talk just yet. Be a little patient.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The hiker attacked identified it as a bobcat. See the following link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Appalachian...umpback_rock/?

Here is a quote from the above link.

"I was the hiker. It was a very large bobcat. The confusion was because I called my family when I had reception to coordinate emergency medical at the humpback picnic area and my mom not knowing anything about big cats called it a mountain lion....."
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 07-05-2016 at 01:15.

Being attacked by a bob cat is really surprising too. Wonder if it had rabies?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Anyone heard anything further on this? I'd be interested to know how this guy is doing, and the extent of his injuries. I looked at the photo, and I can tell you, I'd be really concerned if I ran up on that while hiking. And. . . from what I understand about this cat, you never really see them - they stalk you and you don't know it till it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Anyone heard anything further on this? I'd be interested to know how this guy is doing, and the extent of his injuries. I looked at the photo, and I can tell you, I'd be really concerned if I ran up on that while hiking. And. . . from what I understand about this cat, you never really see them - they stalk you and you don't know it till it's too late.
    Mountain lions occasionally stalk and attack people, as you describe. Bobcats rarely do, unless they are rabid. This was a bobcat, as confirmed by the hiker attacked, not a mountain lion. Read post #4

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't think it had rabies but if it wasn't stalking it was protecting something that the hiker was near or it wanted that hiker out of there. Being a big cat it could have an appetite......

I've worked full-time as a "wildlife professional" for nearly 30 years and I'm aware of multiple bobcat attacks. While certainly not rare, it's not unheard of, though unfortunate when it occurs obviously.

++ New Posts ++