WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    Can I add this... For the successful thru hikers, How many days did it take you to hike from Springer to the NC state line? Thanks.
    Rough figure, starting thru hikers do maybe 10-12 miles/day through GA. Average. But average is pretty meaningless... For one thing, the range is huge, exceptions all over the place, etc. My number based on casual observation.

If you've got your gear dialed in, and are in shape, etc., you can do more. Or if you want to relax, you can go as slow as you like.

There's no need to let the statistics set your goals.

As you have noted, it will all go out to the wayside once you start hiking. But. . . I note that you are from Florida, where the land is flat. There is no way for you to adequately train for the Ga section hike really. It also depends on your age and fitness. That said, I think it's great to go at a snail's pace thru there - the trail is steep in parts, rocky, and difficult for people just starting out. If you start out with the expectation of hiking 10-15 miles thru there, you're going to be sadly disappointed in all likelihood. If you start out expecting to do 7 miles per day and you get 5, so what? You know you will get better as you go along. I think you can very likely get 7, and maybe more. Just start walking and see what you do get. There are numerous shuttle drivers there, and you will have phone reception (at higher elevation), so you can call for a shuttle when you get to a crossing. You'll be fine. But as others have said, starting slow makes sense, because that way you avoid injuries, and the hike is what it's all about - taking your time to see what is out there.

skinnbones.. the Georgia section of the AT is about 76 miles in length. Most people can do this in about a week.. that's an average of 10 miles per day. When I through hiked in 2006, I used my first day to hike from Amicolola falls to Springer on the Approach trail. Then it was 6-7 days more to NC state line.

It's a good idea to start out in 5-10 mpd range but in a few days going 10 miles gets easier. Some make the big mistake of trying to hike 15-20 miles per day right out of the gate. That's not a good idea.. you need time for body to adjust. It also depends to an extent what kind of shape you are in when you first start. Else you can get burned out.

Your first resupply will be at Neels Gap. This is because there is a hostel here right on the trail, also a fully stocked gear store. That's a good 3 days in.

Your first serious steep climb comes tight after the NC state line. North Carolina has much bigger mountains than does Georgia.

To quickly answer your question.. 10 days through Georgia is very much a snails pace. 7 is average. Less than a week.. those are the gogetters.. usually college kids.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I met Jack at Poplar Ridge Shelter. His goal the next day was to camp at Horns Pond. I laughed and told him good luck with that.

Who do you thnk is enjoying hmself more? Jack? Or Tortuga?
    early last july i met a thru hiker in rangely. older, easily in his 50s. had started in april. i drove him from town to the trailhead on my way to east flagstaff road to hike back south. i dropped him at the trailhead at about 8am. i saw him the next day around 1pm descending crocker mountain to the road crossing at stratton. if he was of a mind to do it, i have no doubt he made it to horn's pond that day. maybe even beyond.

he was definitely enjoying himself.

on the other hand, if i was trying to do what tortuga is doing i would have gotten bored of it and went home long long ago.

I just wanted to add here.. don't sweat if you are hiking very snow and smelling the roses for your first couple weeks. You'll get more miles in as time goes on. One thing I was told by an older couple from VT that helped me a lot.. you only have to average about 12 miles per day over the entire trip to thru hike the AT in six months!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    You don't need mountains to get in trail shape. I'm a flatlander...l stay active, keep in shape via cross training and dont have any problem hitting the trail doing 15-20 mpd out the gate. I'm 41 and not an AT thru hiker only a lowly section Hiker. It's a different ball game if your talking out west where you have serious elevation but never had an issue on the east coast. I did the Jmt in under 13 days without training on mountains....general conditioning goes along way backpacking in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sorry, I don't agree that flat land is adequate training for mountains, particularly if you are a bit overweight, or older as the OP is. I'm 61 and I can walk all day on the flat, but the last 10 days I did on the trail had my knees throbbing for days afterwards.

going up and down hills with a weight on your back puts strain on joints, ligaments, and tendons that you can't replicate by flat land walking, no matter the pace or distance.

I assume you have overcome this by your crossfit training but anything that can strengthen and condition these anatomical structures, like an eliptical or Stairmaster would help. however, IMO the best thing is to just do stairs. Stadium stairs are perfect, with their weird spacing, but regular old stairs are great too.

up and down, several sets a day till you reach your goal. take it easy at first, you don't want to get sore joints, etc... when you stop being muscle-sore, start adding weight gradually...

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    sorry, I don't agree that flat land is adequate training for mountains, particularly if you are a bit overweight, or older as the OP is. I'm 61 and I can walk all day on the flat, but the last 10 days I did on the trail had my knees throbbing for days afterwards.

going up and down hills with a weight on your back puts strain on joints, ligaments, and tendons that you can't replicate by flat land walking, no matter the pace or distance.

I assume you have overcome this by your crossfit training but anything that can strengthen and condition these anatomical structures, like an eliptical or Stairmaster would help. however, IMO the best thing is to just do stairs. Stadium stairs are perfect, with their weird spacing, but regular old stairs are great too.

up and down, several sets a day till you reach your goal. take it easy at first, you don't want to get sore joints, etc... when you stop being muscle-sore, start adding weight gradually...
    Agree..I meant with proper training not just walking...I feel weight training is key. I can't jog more than 3-4 miles on flat ground but don't have an issues hiking 20mpd in the mountains. Try walking in the soft sand on the beach...that is an arse kicker. I also really like the stair machine that has the revolving stairs....too damn hot even at night here to train outdoors...ready to get the hell out of here!!! This was last night near 8:00!!!

Images

11 Days sound good to me. I took about that on my first section 20+ years ago. (I was about 38 then) I was carrying a [Gasp] 65+ Lb pack. My friend Privy Monster did his first 20 days at about 5 MPD & did fine. His thought was: slow mean less chance of injury. Less chance of injury, means better chance of finishing my Thru.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I'm thinking of taking my first zero day in Franklin. Getting off at Winding stair. The guide book says a shuttle bus picks up at Winding Stairs 3 times daily.
    you may want to check on that before you go. When I was in North Georgia, there were a couple places the guide claimed had shuttles that were not running when I there in May. Some of them were only mar and april when the rush was going through it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by bstiffler View Post
    you may want to check on that before you go. When I was in North Georgia, there were a couple places the guide claimed had shuttles that were not running when I there in May. Some of them were only mar and april when the rush was going through it seems.
    WSG is at a well travelled Hwy doubt you would have an issue hitching..ATT didn't have service at the Gap or even at top of Albert mtn fire tower as of last year.

Then there is the Tortoise and the Hare story. Yeah it's not a race, but sometimes I can be either. The Tortoise won't get as many blisters, shin splints, and sore knees. The Hare can stop for a nap, a long lunch to wait out the afternoon heat, or stop when he smells roses. Life is a balance that you and your body choose at any given moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
    Then there is the Tortoise and the Hare story. Yeah it's not a race, but sometimes I can be either. The Tortoise won't get as many blisters, shin splints, and sore knees. The Hare can stop for a nap, a long lunch to wait out the afternoon heat, or stop when he smells roses. Life is a balance that you and your body choose at any given moment.
    Thumbs up on this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
    Agreed. Trail book after trail book talks of people that overdo it at the beginning and either injure themselves or wear out. If you push your body too hard, day after day, it will give up on you at some point. Don't be stuck on the idea of shelters, either. I've noticed in the AWOL guide that the shelters aren't always in the greatest places, mile wise. Have a tent, walk until you decide you're tired, and then camp.
    The thing that most intrigues me about a thru-hike to me is the total freedom. On three or four day hikes we get dropped off and have to do X miles a day to get to the car. Some days are death marches, and that's NOT why I got into hiking. At least on a thru hike you can say at any time, "this is a beautiful spot, I'll camp here", and as long as you have enough food to get there, you can take your time getting to town. I envy the freedom of the long distance hiker, but too many seem to be rushing for the fastest trip, the longest miles and of course the ever-present northern end, which they have to reach before the winter closing.
    I'd love to do a long section hike. Start at Hot Springs, NC and spend a month just walking NOBO - with no goal in mind other than to have a good time and see the sights.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Can I add this... For the successful thru hikers, How many days did it take you to hike from Springer to the NC state line? Thanks.
    Took me 7 days in 2011. I was the same age then as you are now, 52. I was intentionally taking my time, giving myself time to get my trail legs.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++