WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Also, the smaller bag weighs about 0.5 oz. The larger bag weighs about 1 oz.
    I don't have a digital scale. Small weights measured on my analog spring scale are only approximate.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    My food bag liner is 13.5" wide by 25" tall.
    My pack liner is 20" wide by 36" tall.

both measured lying flat. both open along the short side

I got mine from LiteTrails before they disappeared. I suspect these are the same as the medium and large size sold in the sample pack as Base Camp, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone who has purchased recently can confirm the size of the new ones. I haven't seen detailed specs from Base Camp. Mine are a clear plastic and some of the pictures from Base Camp show a blue bag and some pictures show a clear bag, so I'm a bit confused. They do seem to resemble Turkey Bags so maybe they are the same material.
    They're green on Amazon....can't find a size listed other than med,lg,Xl

Absolutely, WHEN NOT CONTAMINATED ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE OpSACK BY ANYTHING THEY DO WORK. Sorry, placing an Opsack inside a backpack when the backpack is holding all manner of odors is no guaranteed "test" of OpSack's effectiveness or lack thereof. OpSack's do NOT work in and of themselves outside of a more comprehensive multi prong food protection approach encompassing a wider range of aspects. It's rarely about getting rid of all odors or animal attractants but reducing the risks through several considerations.

For me, when deciding to protect food from Grizz, rodent, wolf, etc it goes well beyond just a bear can, OpSack, etc. It's my contention too many see these as a one stop be all end all haphazardly do whatever else you want and blame it on the can, Opsack, bear bagging method(s), other storage devices etc.

I've seen ravaging rodents like rats, mice, raccoons, skunks, etc, insects, like big Hawaiian cockroaches/palmetto bugs, and both black and brown bears totally disregard a NEW PURE food filled OpSack moving right past it to another hiker's chow stuffed into a drawstring sack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Absolutely, WHEN NOT CONTAMINATED ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE OpSACK BY ANYTHING THEY DO WORK. Sorry, placing an Opsack inside a backpack when the backpack is holding all manner of odors is no guaranteed "test" of OpSack's effectiveness or lack thereof. OpSack's do NOT work in and of themselves outside of a more comprehensive multi prong food protection approach encompassing a wider range of aspects. It's rarely about getting rid of all odors or animal attractants but reducing the risks through several considerations.

For me, when deciding to protect food from Grizz, rodent, wolf, etc it goes well beyond just a bear can, OpSack, etc. It's my contention too many see these as a one stop be all end all haphazardly do whatever else you want and blame it on the can, Opsack, bear bagging method(s), other storage devices etc.

I've seen ravaging rodents like rats, mice, raccoons, skunks, etc, insects, like big Hawaiian cockroaches/palmetto bugs, and both black and brown bears totally disregard a NEW PURE food filled OpSack moving right past it to another hiker's chow stuffed into a drawstring sack.
    What do you consider PURE foods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was referring not to pure food but pure unadulterated by food odors new or well washed OpSacks.

What I was getting at is - great one has a canister, OpSack, is properly bear hanging, etc then yet fails to empty the crumbs from a Peanut Butter Cliff Bar or smeared Nut Butter packet from a hipbelt pocket, or have stored food wrappers by themselves in a rear shovel pocket all day, or just cooked dinner in their sleeping clothes while in their tent in their sleeping bag or has coconut oil lip balm smeared on gear that one is sleeping with, or just contaminated the oustdie of their OpSack with hands they made and cooked dinner with, and they have a have problems with wildlife. Well that isn't the OpSack's fault!

FWIW, in my exchanges with Tom Smith, he stated that there is too much paranoia about food scents attracting bears. He specifically identified the notion of "don't sleep in clothes you cooked in or even have them in your tent" as misguided. On the other hand, he did identify the use of food scented toiletries as problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    .Just last weekend I was on trail, with car parked in an area reputed to have porcupines that would chew on car hoses and wiring. So I broke open a plastic-wrapped new box of mothballs and used the whole box under the engine area to discourage them. You could smell the mothballs when you got within 30 feet of the car. When I finished the hike, I picked up the mothballs and put them back in the box, then put the box into an old OP sack for the drive home. Once in the OP sack, I could not smell them. Maybe a bear or a porcupine could. Just sayin' . . .
    Mothballs are a pesticide regulated by the EPA and it is illegal to use them that way, it is a hazard to people and animals and can contaminate the soil and the water supply. So just saying...maybe you should keep that to yourself.

I did read a trail journal where a hiker was spreading them around and under the shelter to deter mice. I think I might have had a real problem with that person.

Quote Originally Posted by wannahike View Post
    Mothballs are a pesticide regulated by the EPA and it is illegal to use them that way, it is a hazard to people and animals and can contaminate the soil and the water supply. So just saying...maybe you should keep that to yourself.

I did read a trail journal where a hiker was spreading them around and under the shelter to deter mice. I think I might have had a real problem with that person.
    He said he picked them back up...what's the problem.....way worse things to concern yourself with..,

Mothballs are a pesticide regulated by the EPA and it is illegal to use them that way, it is a hazard to people and animals and can contaminate the soil and the water supply.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Was not aware of EPA regulation. I did pick them up, so none were left in the parking area. I do know of someone whose jeep wiring was damaged by animals in the very parking area I was in, who was then stranded for almost a full week before being able to get his car repaired and go home. What do you recommend to prevent this from happening?
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    He said he picked them back up...what's the problem.....way worse things to concern yourself with..,

Well he picked up what was left of them. The environment does concern me, I like being out in it.

Well he picked up what was left of them. The environment does concern me, I like being out in it.
    I get it....I'm a dirt worshipping tree hugger myself....all I'm saying is there are far worse things...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I get it....I'm a dirt worshipping tree hugger myself....all I'm saying is there are far worse things...\

Yeah, there are

I have no clue, maybe a shuttle? It would really suck to be stuck for a week tho.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. Was not aware of EPA regulation. I did pick them up, so none were left in the parking area. I do know of someone whose jeep wiring was damaged by animals in the very parking area I was in, who was then stranded for almost a full week before being able to get his car repaired and go home. What do you recommend to prevent this from happening?
    https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/marmots.htm

Marmot-Mobile_1.jpg

I got some of those Basecamp bags, and I tried one on a recent trip. Seems fine, but I only used it for two days.

My experience with OPSaks are that some of them would easily tear where you pull them apart to open them, and they are much heavier.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I got some of those Basecamp bags, and I tried one on a recent trip. Seems fine, but I only used it for two days.

My experience with OPSaks are that some of them would easily tear where you pull them apart to open them, and they are much heavier.
    Thx did u order multi pack? Looking to get Xl and med/large to line zpacks food bag..

I like it!
    Wrapping your car in a tarp. What a great idea.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I've been using the Zpacks food hanging bag, PCT style, for a couple of years now. Probably 50 or 60 nights on the trail. The only time it was ever breached by a mouse was the one night I couldn't fit all our food inside the O.P Sack. Coincidence? Maybe, but anecdotal data works for me in this case.
    I have had pretty much the same experience. In 4 months on the AT I ran across a couple of bears but they never showed any interest so I don't know how well these bags work, but mice and raccoons were a problem. Never had a mouse go after my bag that I was able to detect. People who left any food in their packs on the ground often had holes in them the next morning with mice chewing their way in. I accidentally left trail mix in an OP bag in one of my backpack belt pockets a couple of times and no mice, no holes. Could also be just lucky but I think they probably work to some degree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++