WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Twin lakes

Images

Default Twin lakes

Is it possible to cross the Twin Lakes area on the west side of the lakes over to the CDT/Collegiate west section without having to go all the way around on the east side of the lakes? That's a very hot uninspiring walk. Looking on a satellite map, it seems that there are a number of trails on the west side, but is it easy to cross the creek? How marshy is it? Have you done this?

thanks
    Judy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Is it possible to cross the Twin Lakes area on the west side of the lakes over to the CDT/Collegiate west section without having to go all the way around on the east side of the lakes? That's a very hot uninspiring walk. Looking on a satellite map, it seems that there are a number of trails on the west side, but is it easy to cross the creek? How marshy is it? Have you done this?

thanks
    Judy
    Great timing. Heading there in a week for the collegiate loop and was just looking at the map to see the best way to get into Twin Lakes. I was wondering if you could cross country directly between the lakes. Looking forward to an official answer.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

Between the lakes? - I don't think so. However, west of the pair of lakes there's a bridge across Lake Creek at the Willis Gulch trailhead. There is a trail that connects that trailhead to 01_042 on the West Collegiate trail. It's a road walk of about 2 miles on Colorado 82 between the Willis Gulch Trailhead and the intersection of the CT.

Captain obvious here..I'll also be there in a few weeks. I'll be dropping a rental car off in Leadville then attempting to hitch down to twin lakes to begin the loop or worst case get shuttle from the hostel. How far down 82 off of 24 is the trail head....I have the gut hook loop app but plan to pick up the data book also. Is this any easy hitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Great timing. Heading there in a week for the collegiate loop and was just looking at the map to see the best way to get into Twin Lakes. I was wondering if you could cross country directly between the lakes. Looking forward to an official answer.
    Please hit me up after your trip as im flying out July 22 to do the loop....i assume you'll be done in a few days the miles you walk!!!

Images

I posted this question on facebook in the CT group - got a lot of good answers and maps there

I posted this question on facebook in the CT group - got a lot of good answers and maps there
    You mind sharing as I'm not on FB?
    I'm staying at Leadville hostel on July 22....in morning of 23 returning rental car at airport then hitching to twin lakes to start a 9-10 hike of the loop.

Thx.....
    Richard

Images

Comments

Bill Manning Yes, possible, people have done it. In recent years the bridge situation has changed. Hoping first-handers will chime in.

Pxxxxxxx There is a good bridge and trail about two miles west of town. The trail eventually meets up with the trail from the other end of the lake. Once you cross the bridge heading south go to the right (west) a few dozen yards and you will turn east and start climbing. It was not well marked when I did it last September.

xxxxxxxr Yes, I did this last year. I got a ride from the general store out to the trailhead, can't remember the actual name of where I went, sorry, but just to the base of Hope Pass. Last year the woman who lives directly next door was amazing at shuttling hikers there, she took me and a friend, then went back later to get two more. She was hanging out next door to the store outside, had some amazing stories of hiker trash coming through. Maybe you can find her again!

XXXXXXXX The Leadville Trail 100 Run routes runners through the marsh (there's no specific trail to follow) and then a crossing of Lake Creek, which is about 40-50' wide and about ankle to knee deep on race day (around 8/15). I would expect that it would be higher and more forceful in July. In general it is probably doable, but you will get wet.

XXXXXXX We did this - got a ride to the TH where there's a bridge across the creek. There's a trail there that joins up with the CW up over Hope Pass. No way were we going to trudge east around the lake to get to the CW trail! I don't know about walking all the way from Twin Lakes. You could road walk a couple of miles if need be.

Images

Leys alternates has routes there.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Leys alternates has routes there.
    Where is this?

Comments

Bill Manning Yes, possible, people have done it. In recent years the bridge situation has changed. Hoping first-handers will chime in.

Pxxxxxxx There is a good bridge and trail about two miles west of town. The trail eventually meets up with the trail from the other end of the lake. Once you cross the bridge heading south go to the right (west) a few dozen yards and you will turn east and start climbing. It was not well marked when I did it last September.

xxxxxxxr Yes, I did this last year. I got a ride from the general store out to the trailhead, can't remember the actual name of where I went, sorry, but just to the base of Hope Pass. Last year the woman who lives directly next door was amazing at shuttling hikers there, she took me and a friend, then went back later to get two more. She was hanging out next door to the store outside, had some amazing stories of hiker trash coming through. Maybe you can find her again!

XXXXXXXX The Leadville Trail 100 Run routes runners through the marsh (there's no specific trail to follow) and then a crossing of Lake Creek, which is about 40-50' wide and about ankle to knee deep on race day (around 8/15). I would expect that it would be higher and more forceful in July. In general it is probably doable, but you will get wet.

XXXXXXX We did this - got a ride to the TH where there's a bridge across the creek. There's a trail there that joins up with the CW up over Hope Pass. No way were we going to trudge east around the lake to get to the CW trail! I don't know about walking all the way from Twin Lakes. You could road walk a couple of miles if need be.

Thx Judy...ill hit up the locals at the general store when I arrive..rather not back track as I'm planning to go clockwise on somewhat of a limited time.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post

I've wondered about this too when visiting the CT adjacent old Interlaken Hotel. It's is thick brush and swampy between the Twin Lakes.https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tw...3!4d-106.38228

Never mind...since I'll be hitching from Leadville...the eastern side of twin lakes at CR25 would be easiest access headed SE....blond moment...

You can not cross between the lakes. They were two lakes with a road between before a dam was added. Now they are one big lake.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

++ New Posts ++