WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frameless packs

Default Frameless packs

Just took my HMG 2400 on a bunch of hikes and I'm would like to go in a different direction. I'm looking to take the dive into a completely frameless pack. I'm considering the MLD series of packs and the ULA CDT. I'm also considering buying used so that I can afford something like an MLD burn for three seasons and a exodus/CDT for winter. I am not at all familiar with frameless packs.

Then why would you want a framless pack? How much weight are you carrying now? Less than 20 or 25 pounds, I hope.

Yeah less than 20.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I love my CDT and it's the only backpacking pack I use now. When you factor in how much it costs relative to some of the other frameless packs out there, it's insane to NOT buy one.

I used an Exodus on the Continental Divide Trail (...skipping the abbreviation to avoid confusion) and hated it.

FWIW, if you're gonna go frameless, I'd make sure your base weight is under 10-12 lbs and that your gear volume is nice and low. You can do frameless with heavier loads, but it works best when you keep the volume and weight managable.

Good to know, I go on trips almost every weekend and am allowed to use my own packs for my ruck marches so I easily put 100 miles on a pack in a given week. That along with not having a single other hobby means It's worth it to amass some variety of gear.

The original and still the best frameless backpack:
    The Jensen pack made by Rivendell Mountain Works.
    I bought mine in 1974. I still have it. It works.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by wperrott92 View Post
    not having a single other hobby means
    If you're only gonna have one hobby, hiking is about the best one you can have.

Yeah I'm just trying to go as light as possible so I can regularly hit 30 miles a day which will allow me to squeeze a whole extra thru hike or two before I'm done with school

Garlic
    Images

I've found good prices on Gossamer Gear packs, and fine quality and customer service. Get on their mailing list and you'll see sales once in a while. I've never paid more than $80 for a GG pack, and I've had three of them over the last dozen years and over 10K hiking miles.

Pay attention to Burger's suggestion of the 10-12 pound baseweight. I got mine down to ten before I went frameless. I can add a week's worth of food and three liters of water and keep it under 30 pounds and it works fine like that.

Thirty pounds is a heavy load with practically no suspension, but the payback comes the last day before resupply and you don't even notice the pack is there. To reiterate, the ten pound baseweight is what makes it work for me.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I would definitely say my baseweight is below 10, even on the buggy trips I've taken lately and used my TT instead of my tarp. How do the bigger packs like the exodus and the CDT do with compressing smaller loads?I considered a mld prophet until I realized it doesn't weigh much different than the bigger volume packs. I got a great deal on a brand new CDT from a friend so that's what I'm going with.

With the money I'll get from selling my HMG I could also get ahold of an even smaller mld burn from a friend but I'm thinking that's probably not worth it unless the bigger frameless packs are really awkward to carry half loaded. That was a huge problem with my HMG pack. I'm really not worried if I run into a trip that requires heavier than 30 pounds, I can just grab one of the load haulers out of the ROTC barracks.

Images

I am on my second Burn and it work perfectly for my gear set and style. I would not recommend it unless your gear is very low volume. I also made my own food sacks that fit perfectly in the Burn. IT is a small pack and very narrow making it a challenge to pack up. The good news is that the low volume compresses your gear into a block eliminating the need for a frame. I also like the narrow width while hiking especially for off trail routes.

if you are on the fence about size then you may be better served with a Prophet. It also could be big enough for you to use year round.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

I have an MLD peripheral and have used several times including a weekend 3 day 2 night in Dolly Sods in WV. Love the pack and will use on the PCT in 2018

Journal Entries

That should be phrophet

I use a Granite Gear Virga and I love it. Even with heavier winter gear, it still feels great.

Not sure if you're willing to consider going without a hipbelt, but if so you can save close to a pound from the CDT by going with a ZPacks Zero?

I would but I need to be able to jog wearing it if needed.

The original. Cuben version being tested.

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/raingear/

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Here is a more "official" review on the Burn that came out today.

http://www.thehikinglife.com/2016/07...burn-backpack/
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Here is a more "official" review on the Burn that came out today.

http://www.thehikinglife.com/2016/07...burn-backpack/
    When hikers are sponsored by gear companies, I suggest a very healthy dose of skepticism when looking at those hikers' reviews. If I was getting free stuff from gear manufacturers, Id have a mighty big incentive to say nice things about their stuff so I could get more free stuff. I think of gear reviews from sponsored hikers more like commercials than critical reviews.

(Note: not saying that this review particular is necessarily false or misleading. But there is definitely incentive for people getting free stuff to give positive reviews or minimize the negaties. I'd suggest looking through reviews on other sites from non-sponsored hikers for a wider range of opinions not tainted by freebies.)

Journal Entries

Frameless packs are good if you do short trips or frequent resupplies
    Even with 6-7 lb base weight, I dont want a frameless pack when I want to carry 7 days food
    I dont want to come off trail ever 3 or 4 days
    Fortunately my 16.7 oz arc blast does what frameless packs cant.
    Lighter than most frameless, water resistant, and can carry 25 lbs comfortably enough
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-12-2016 at 20:14.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++