WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Food talk - requesting input

Generic Brand (Kroger) Crunchy Peanut Butter
    16oz (approx. 14 servings)
    $1.99 (commonly less)

I've been looking around lately, trying to find some of the higher cal/oz foods, and lower cost, that I currently enjoy... or in the case of Olive Oil, would tolerate as a source of calories. I've come across these 4 foods probably more often than any other.

I'm male, 27, 5'10, 185lbs and I'm guesstimating that I'll be looking to take in about 4,000 cal/day.

Given this, if I were to eat just these 4 items throughout my 8 weeks, I've come up with these approximate numbers.

Olive oil - 17 oz, 3960 cal, $6.49
    Tortillas - 26 oz, 2200 cal, $3.59
    Cheese - 32 oz, 3520 cal, $7.99
    P. Butter - 16 oz, 2520 cal, $1.99

Totals - 91 oz (5.6lbs), 12200 cal, $21.46 ($20.06 + 7% tax)

Given the 4000 calorie guesstimate, that's 3 days worth of food. If I foresee being away from towns for longer, I can see myself doubling up for 11.2 lbs of food. This would approximate my total food bill for the 8 weeks to $400.59.

Now that that's out of the way, in my mind a minimalistic scenario per my own desires and standards, I don't plan to follow that to a 'T'. Rather, I wanted that to be a baseline for my food funds. I do plan on those 4 items to be my primary foods. But to break the monotony, I do plan to keep a couple snacks (crunchy, candies, etc.) with me. And I figure I'd be happy to get a hefty weekly meal at a restaurant, whether it's a steak dinner, or a bunch of dollar menu burgers. So I'm calculating an extra $30/week for an estimated grand food total of $640.59 for the 8 weeks.

Looking at those foods as a basis for my nutrition for 2 months, along with everything else I've panned out here, are there any problems that I should look to fix? Calories, carbs, fat, protein, cost, weight, etc...

Willing to listen to all well thought out suggestions. Thank you all for lending your knowledge.

Journal Entries

You wont like olive oil as a primary food.
    In fact, I bet you throw it up, and throw it out.
    Even an oz added to dinners, gets nauseating after a while
    I once poured 8oz of it into my cathole to get rid of it.

I can always eat tortillas, peanut butter, jelly, trailmix, jerky, peanut mms, snickers, and little debbie brownies and oatmeal pies.
    The little debbie oatmeal pies at Walmart, are one of the highest calorie/$ snacks you can get. a $1.89 box is 2100 cal or so if I remember correctly

I think regular oil like canola is the best. 3600 cal or so for $1.89 if I remember.
    Walmart trail mix, 2.5 lb for $6 isnt bad deal either.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-19-2016 at 22:52.

Your "plan" is easily tested. Assemble your food. Give us a report in 2 months.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Even an oz added to dinners, gets nauseating after a while
    I once poured 8oz of it into my cathole to get rid of it.

I can always eat tortillas, peanut butter, jelly, trailmix, jerky, peanut mms, snickers, and little debbie brownies and oatmeal pies.
    The little debbie oatmeal pies at Walmart, are one of the highest calorie/$ snacks you can get. a $1.89 box is 2100 cal or so if I remember correctly

I think regular oil like canola is the best. 3600 cal or so for $1.89 if I remember.
    Walmart trail mix, 2.5 lb for $6 isnt bad deal either.
    Thanks! Dually noted.

You sure picked bottom of the barrel cheese. Based strictly on price? It could be a toss up between the olive oil and the cheese as to which one comes up first.
    Bon appetite.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

It's the Kroger brand block mild cheddar. I love cheese. Sure, I'll be mixing up the flavors a bit each time, but I don't need any fancy cheeses from Trader Joes, if that's what you're alluding to. I'll keep it cheap(ish). If I find some good options for comparable process, you bet your boots I'll pick some up.

My main purpose for picking up these particular items was to show generic prices and nutritional values for each one, as something I may pick up.

Regarding the olive oil, I do think it's something I'll only use on occasion if I feel I need extra calories to get through the day. I don't plan to make it a habit of downing the bottle in a couple days time.

The Kroger/Publix/etc. brand cheeses are fine compared to the name brand (Kraft, etc.). You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. If I had to guess, the only difference is the wrapper. All your plans are just fine calorie-wise, but they are deficient nutrition-wise. Your body needs nutrients as well as calories. Invest in a daily multiple vitamin-mineral. The Kroger brand is fine and the cost will be less than 10 cents per day...probably less than a nickel. When you eat in town, eat as many vegetables as you can to increase your vitamin intake. Fast-food burgers are tasty and loaded with calories, but not much in the way of nutrition.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    It's the Kroger brand block mild cheddar. I love cheese. Sure, I'll be mixing up the flavors a bit each time, but I don't need any fancy cheeses from Trader Joes, if that's what you're alluding to. I'll keep it cheap(ish). If I find some good options for comparable process, you bet your boots I'll pick some up.

My main purpose for picking up these particular items was to show generic prices and nutritional values for each one, as something I may pick up.

Regarding the olive oil, I do think it's something I'll only use on occasion if I feel I need extra calories to get through the day. I don't plan to make it a habit of downing the bottle in a couple days time.
    Try Cabot seriously sharp cheddar...can often find on sale for 2 for $5.00..... I can't imagine trying to eat the same crap for several months...I even got sick of peanut butter/Nutella on tortilla after 6 days on the Jmt.....you WILL crave and want something different......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In which state are you taxed 7% on groceries?

Garlic
    Images

I think you're probably real close on calorie expectations and the need for town meals. Of course, your hiking pace, packed load and weather will partially dictate your daily calorie needs.

Ditto the above about olive oil and large amounts of cheap cheese. A palatable substitute for me is tree nuts--cashews and walnuts are available at all grocery stores.

Slightly better food will increase your budget. You won't always get good prices or be able to shop around. My AT hike cost me about $8/day for trail food (average pace 20 miles per day), and nearly that much again for town food. And I was budget-conscious--my hiking partner spent roughly twice that. He bought more packaged food, more high-quality stuff (I'd get store brand stuff in large packages), and spent more in restaurants. Neither of us habitually drank alcohol, maybe a beer on a zero day, certainly a Guinness at the Inn at Long Trail. Bar tabs can really add to your cost.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Leonidas

Just going to throw this out here. I normally eat 3810 calories a day, so for our 10 day section I planned on ~4200 calories. What I didn't take into account was the fact that this time of year is ridiculously hot and I might not want to eat all the stuff I brought. I expected to be able to consume 4200 easily but the heat made me realistically eat only 3800 at the beginning. I ended up dropping down to 2660 after the mice pilfered my almonds. That said, as long as I had electrolytes, I had no issues with hunger.

I did eat well on our nearo into Hiawassee. Fajitas for lunch and a 14oz ribeye for dinner.

Since you didn't mention when you were looking at doing your hike, in the heat, I found that having ~750 drinkable calories for breakfast and dinner was really helpful to get calories in even though I sometimes did not want to eat.

3800 daily calories is a lot, if you arent hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    ... All your plans are just fine calorie-wise, but they are deficient nutrition-wise. Your body needs nutrients as well as calories. Invest in a daily multiple vitamin-mineral...
    I actually meant to put that out there add something I planned on doing but had questions about it. I definitely will do something line a Men's One-A-Day. But I've been seeing others mention things longer maltodextrin.

So, I'll ask it now: Are there any particular vitamins/supplements that I should consider taking while out there for those 2 months?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    In which state are you taxed 7% on groceries?
    I was thinking about just tax on general. Rounded up Florida's 6.5% non-grocery tax to be safe. I actually don't know which states, if any, charge taxes on good. I don't pay attention to that stuff because I really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I think you're probably real close on calorie expectations and the need for town meals...

Ditto the above about olive oil and large amounts of cheap cheese. A palatable substitute for me is tree nuts--cashews and walnuts are available at all grocery stores.

Slightly better food will increase your budget. You won't always get good prices or be able to shop around. My AT hike cost me about $8/day for trail food (average pace 20 miles per day), and nearly that much again for town food. And I was budget-conscious--my hiking partner spent roughly twice that. He bought more packaged food, more high-quality stuff (I'd get store brand stuff in large packages), and spent more in restaurants. Neither of us habitually drank alcohol, maybe a beer on a zero day, certainly a Guinness at the Inn at Long Trail. Bar tabs can really add to your cost.
    Great input, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Just going to throw this out here. I normally eat 3810 calories a day, so for our 10 day section I planned on ~4200 calories. What I didn't take into account was the fact that this time of year is ridiculously hot and I might not want to eat all the stuff I brought. I expected to be able to consume 4200 easily but the heat made me realistically eat only 3800 at the beginning. I ended up dropping down to 2660 after the mice pilfered my almonds. That said, as long as I had electrolytes, I had no issues with hunger.

I did eat well on our nearo into Hiawassee. Fajitas for lunch and a 14oz ribeye for dinner.

Since you didn't mention when you were looking at doing your hike, in the heat, I found that having ~750 drinkable calories for breakfast and dinner was really helpful to get calories in even though I sometimes did not want to eat.
    Good to know your experience, thanks. I thought I mentioned it but I'm planning a NOBO from Springer September 1st til sometime in early November.

I'll look into electrolyte sources and calorie heavy drink/mixes.

- I had no problem adding an ounce of olive oil to trail meals. Barely notice it in the dehydrated rice, potatoes, pasta, etc.
    - Single peanut butter packages were good. Small jars of peanut butter were good on occasion once the hiker hunger kicked in. Best with crackers or tortillas to blunt the rich flavor.
    - I never finished a whole package of tortillas, I got sick of single filling tortillas really quickly. Can also fill them with tuna, cheese of any kind, summer sausage, pepperoni, salami, etc. All those ingredients can also be tossed into the rice, pasta, potato meals.
    - The yellowfin tuna pouch in oil has more calories than the other flavors.

You really need to adapt to what's available on the trail, and what you can stand eating. I do not recommend testing a trail diet in advance, as you'll quickly get fat and pay for it at the start of your hike.

Guzzle chocolate milk as you pass through towns instead of soda.

Peanut butter, cheese and tortillas are fine for lunch, but what are you going to do for breakfast and dinner? If that's all you eat, your gonna get sick of it really quick.

Hiking in Sept and Nov? Your gonna want some hot food too. Hot chocolate and/or tea bags for a hot drink is good to have too.

I'm not a big fan of oatmeal or other wallpaper paste like breakfast stuff, so I typically eat a glazed honey bun, Apple pie or Pop Tarts for breakfast (500, 600 calories of pure sugar) and wash it down with a caffeinated Crystal lite drink mix. I also don't like to cook in the morning as it slows me down too much. And in the fall when the days are getting shorter, you don't want to waste too much daylight.

Lunch is snacks, mostly Freto Corn chips (lots of salt and fat along with potassium) and nuts (trail mix). I'll occasionally get a block of cheese and hard salami too. Instant mashed potato's makes for a good lunch too if you have time to boil up some water. Maybe some chocolate, but I typically don't do candy bars. I'll have a couple in the food bag just in case I need some quick energy at the end of the day to make the last few miles to camp. Same goes for "power" or granola bars. Propel for electrolytes.

Supper is a Knorr pasta side, typically with the cheese sauce (I don't like the rice) and a package of tuna for the protein. A few cookies or some chocolate for a sweet desert.

I also like Spam burgers (Spam single with cheese and ketchup on a bagel roll, it helps if you can fry up the spam a little).

The above is a fairly typical thru hiker diet. Keep in mind that you can probably stand to loose some weight and won't be overly hungry for the first couple of weeks. Most people find they have too much food to start.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Guzzle chocolate milk as you pass through towns instead of soda.
    Oh yea, first thing I do when I hit town is find a quart of chocolate milk to pound down. That's the only way I can drink a large quantity of milk all at once. Then eat a quart of ice cream
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Or it will give you diarrhea. I'm not sure of the "dosage" to bring on the runs... 1 oz? 2oz? Probably depends on individual GI tracks.

You may want to experiment with some heavy exercise and this diet at home and see how 1/3-1/2 cup of olive oil a day, straight from the bottle agrees with you.
    Last edited by DLP; 07-20-2016 at 12:06.

Let me second the Fritos, and the cheesy Knorr sides. Nothing quite like a cheesy Knorr rice side with tuna, pepperoni and Fritos. It sounds kind of terrible when you're sitting at home, but on the trail you dread the idea of choking down a flavorless Knorr side by itself.

I thought it was implied, but I never outright said it. I'm planning on going cookless

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    I thought it was implied, but I never outright said it. I'm planning on going cookless
    Go with Doctor Kracker seed crackers if you can find them. You'll be craving something with texture, and these are quite healthy. Nuts are easier than nut butters to eat as you're moving. I bought the cost effective larger cans of cashews, almonds and peanuts, and portioned them out into plastic bags. Same with dark chocolate chips, which will bag well since it will be cooler during your hike. Kind bars, while expensive made me feel like I was eating real food instead of compressed oatmeal pellets (Cliff bars.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++