Cool Suggestions - Getting Fit ?

Hi everyone

New member, new goal.
    First things first I am overweight and working to get fitter this next year, so my goal for the Appalachian is for 2018, potentially 2019.
    Long term goal, but something I really want to do, for spiritual and inner healing reasons, as well as being a nature lover and being at one with the outdoors. I grew up with a father who was an outdoorsman, and feel more comfortable out there than anywhere.

That said, I know that thru-hike is an incredible amount of preparation, which is why I am here now.
    Realistically, I have weight to lose and I have already begun that journey which a lot more to go, but here are my questions.

While working out to lose weight, I would also like to incorporate strengthening, proper physical activity that would be beneficial and mental preparation. I have lots of time, and am super goal oriented, so when I put my mind to something I roll with it. Having this goal is something I am excited about and really looking forward to.

I will have lots of the needed equipment within the next year to do smaller hikes and overnights too, to get a feel for it.

Any suggestions on things I could do, or that you found beneficial for workouts ? (squats, some upper body, and walking I am doing now). But if there is anything specific I could and should be doing while losing weight ?
    Also, I am starting the reading & research process now, and educating myself lots!

Thank you in advance and thank you for accepting my membership!!

Journal Entries

Welcome Syzpace!
    Your question is one that affects many of us, men and women, so maybe could have been posted in the general forum. A lot of the guys do read this forum as well, and they may offer suggestions here. It's a topic that comes up regularly, so stick around and learn.

I've learned a lot from others on the site, and while I'm still overweight, I think I have more strength, more endurance, and more confidence in my abilities than I used to have.

I wish you all the best in your thru-hiking goals, however most aspiring thru-hikers don't actually become thru-hikers. Many of them quit altogether, quite a few become section-hikers. So my advice might be to back away from the thru-hike as the goal, and make fitness the priority. And don't wait until you get fit to get out there - that day may not arrive. Just get out there and do what you can do. When the summer temperatures ease off, go out for a weekend and see what it's like. Take a friend with you so you aren't facing the bears/spiders/skunks/mice/and other issues by yourself.

The exercise advice that I've benefited from has been about the need to strengthen all the small stuff, the tendons and cartilage and sinew and small muscles and whatever that help to stabilize your joints. So yes, my thighs and calves will benefit from increased strength, but if the stuff that holds my knees in place isn't at the same level, I could find myself overworking those things, and increasing risk of injury. Injury is one of the bigger reasons that people have to abandon a thru-hike. Most of that isn't because they fell off a cliff, it's because their knees hurt, or their feet hurt, or something similar. Some have recommended weight lifting as a way to strengthen the joint stabilizers.

Good luck in your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Welcome Syzpace!
    Your question is one that affects many of us, men and women, so maybe could have been posted in the general forum. A lot of the guys do read this forum as well, and they may offer suggestions here. It's a topic that comes up regularly, so stick around and learn.

I've learned a lot from others on the site, and while I'm still overweight, I think I have more strength, more endurance, and more confidence in my abilities than I used to have.

I wish you all the best in your thru-hiking goals, however most aspiring thru-hikers don't actually become thru-hikers. Many of them quit altogether, quite a few become section-hikers. So my advice might be to back away from the thru-hike as the goal, and make fitness the priority. And don't wait until you get fit to get out there - that day may not arrive. Just get out there and do what you can do. When the summer temperatures ease off, go out for a weekend and see what it's like. Take a friend with you so you aren't facing the bears/spiders/skunks/mice/and other issues by yourself.

The exercise advice that I've benefited from has been about the need to strengthen all the small stuff, the tendons and cartilage and sinew and small muscles and whatever that help to stabilize your joints. So yes, my thighs and calves will benefit from increased strength, but if the stuff that holds my knees in place isn't at the same level, I could find myself overworking those things, and increasing risk of injury. Injury is one of the bigger reasons that people have to abandon a thru-hike. Most of that isn't because they fell off a cliff, it's because their knees hurt, or their feet hurt, or something similar. Some have recommended weight lifting as a way to strengthen the joint stabilizers.

Good luck in your journey!
    illabelle, thank you so much for your input and words.
    Good idea on adding to the general board, i will move this post there right away.
    Should i have someone delete this board ? Still getting to know the forum so please feel free to do so anyone who's willing.

In the meantime, I just want to thank you for your advice.
    I am definitely in this for whatever i feel i can do, and have the realistic view that if i am done in a week or two, that's all i needed to do.. Or, if i push on that is okay too. I have plenty of time in the next couple of years to get lots of shorter hikes in - i want to be sure that I have prepared myself in all ways..

It's why I appreciate having found a forum, because I can learn so much through you all. Excited to share my progress as i go!

Thank you again illabelle!

Okay, I have moved this thread to the General Board.
    Thank you again! Look forward to the responses and suggestions

Journal Entries

Let me give you a caution though... I am an overweight woman and newbie as well, though not an aspiring thru-hiker, just a weekend section hiker. I have been on WB for a little bit now, maybe a year or so and the information on this forum is amazing. There are some of the most intelligent, wisest, most knowledgeable people on earth somewhere on this site.

HOWEVER.... with all that sage advice and wisdom and overwhelming wealth of information, will also come snarky, grumpy old man syndrome, sarcastic and sometimes, though rarely, downright mean comments. There is someone on this site that has forgotten more than you can ever learn, but they may or may not have the nicest way of delivering it. There is also a few that refuse to answer questions with anything except "Look it up yourself" or "Google is your friend" and if you are lucky... a link to follow.

I absolutely LOVE this forum and I have learned SO SO much from it, and you can too. I just wanted to forewarn you so you won't be culture shocked once you start asking questions. Some will be VERY helpful... some will not. Just ignore the non-sense and absorb the pearls of wisdom.

Just a few GREAT people to listen to:
    Tipi Walter - He can be grumpy at times, but rarely and knows more than can be put into words
    Another Kevin - Brilliant, literally Brilliant man and always polite and full of knowledge.
    Lone Wolf - Suffers from grumpy old man syndrome, but usually pretty darn funny about it and from what I have heard, has a heart as big as the sky. Really a great guy that is the grandfather of all things hiking.

There's many many more but those are just off the top of my head. WELCOME!!!!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Super appreciate it Lnj!
    I will take all advice with a grain of salt then and not get offended ..
    I have been looking up lots of information myself, but for some reason I am not finding information on being overweight and working the fitness prep into my current workouts.. I am pretty certain that i'll end up taking what's good for me and leaving the rest (whether on this site, google or friendly advice)..

I appreciate the heads up & the dropping of the names, will look out for them!! It means a lot

Journal Entries

With a question about fitness, you'll get everything from "you need to be on a strict diet and eating only organic foods grown in your back yard, and no meat ever! and spending no less than 4 hours a day in the gym with free weights, then circuit training".... to....."hiking is the best fitness plan for hiking. Just go. The trail will whip you into hiking shape in no time!" There are extreme opposites here and all are right... for themselves.

Being out of shape and 43 myself....for me, after having done a few very small shakedown weekend trips, I can say that it would enhance my experience x1000 if I could loose some weight and gain some strength. however.... for me..... My life is not conducive to that strategy so it would take a will power that I do not yet possess to achieve it. I'll have to let the trail hurt my feelings I suppose....at least for now.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

I completely understand. I have battled with my weight (bulimia, binges) since a young age and I have had my struggles with weight and not being fit. At the moment, walking up and down some stairs is a challenge, but at the age of 43 the long terms symptoms of the abuse on my body is dictating I need to be active and work through the inner demons and just do it. I'm sure our situations are very different, but often the struggles of feeling unfit and unable are quite similar.

That said, I need to do things from a simple perspective. My disease *bulimia* wants me to over complicate everything, and special diets are a no. My only goal foodwise is to follow the good 'ol food pyramid and portions, not to overindulge, follow my program and get my butt out moving It has to stay as simple as that. Kudos to anyone that can follow a specific food plan, for me it's too restrictive and I have given you FAR too much information considering the topic of this forum (ha!). But it may make more sense in terms of inner healing and wanting to do this.

I will definitely be doing some shorter hikes .. Many, if possible. I'm not too far from Shenandoah, so that would be my first goal i think.
    Ideally though, i'd like to lose my first 30-40 lbs first. In 2011, i lost 114 lbs. I gained that back this year (well, 108..) so I know weight loss is possible, I just need to tackle it from the inside as well as the outside.

Really looking forward to the shares, the knowledge and the posts around here. I know I will learn lots!
    Much appreciation to you - and I am a firm believer we do it when we want to, or can. Every little bit counts.
    Congrats on the weekend trips!!!

The only proven method to loose weight is to eat less and exercise more. Which is much easier said then done. Of course, the trick is finding a way to do that which works for you. And do it slowly enough so that your body adapts to the change and doesn't go into starvation mode. Good luck.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

edit to say: for now. I may be able to work on a specific and more restricted food plan once i get through my ABA recovery, but for now i have to keep it simple. Fresh foods, and healthy portions are where I have started though

Slo-go'en : You are so right there, definitely easier said than done. But, one step at a time in the direction of my goals. I'm motivated and it's been a great week - and having places like this to help me know I'm on the right track is helpful. Much thanks!

Find a crossfit gym that will scale the workouts to your fitness level and go 3 times a week. You will increase strength and endurance. A good crossfit gym welcomes people of all fitness levels and abilities. Also hike.

My friend, exercise will make you healthier but it will not help you lose weight. You need to get a handle on your diet before you exercise hard. Most of us (about 80%) have trouble with weight gain because of insulin resistance. The only solution is to drastically reduce carb intake. You will see results immediately.

If you want to be a hiker, walk a lot. Walk uphill on treadmills. Walk with weights in a backpack. Go on day hikes. Get experience dealing with all the problems that hikers face.

I build exercise into my daily routine. Bike to and from work, walk a lot, and work on the house. I couldn't bring myself to go to a gym if they paid me. As for food, I eat more or less a conventional, somewhat healthy diet, with some indulgences, but I'm not afraid of being hungry part of the day. No need for drastic measures, I believe. It works for me, anyhow.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Welcome! I hesitated to answer earlier, but since you said you like simple plans, I can do simple!

Consistency is the key to exercise. Whether you hike, walk, crossfit, lift weights, or play badminton, try to get out moving every day. If you are like me, if your goal is every day, then the reality is 4-5 times per week and that's good. If I set my goal at 3x per week, I'd be lucky to get out twice.

Food strategy 1: Visualize a dinner plate. Fill it up halfway with vegetables. One-fourth plate of meat, and one-fourth plate of starch (potato, rice, bread, etc).
    Food strategy 2: Eat 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables per day, every day. This is my favorite strategy. If I get my 5 servings, then I can eat whatever else I want...but I usually don't want all that much. This will give you an idea of what 5 servings looks like: http://www.thekitchn.com/10-photos-t...etables-207261.

Go for it!
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Images

I know you've posted in general but I'm going to answer in this forum thread to maybe avoid all the "stuff" that will get thrown at you. I am 59 and have been section hiking for the past 8 years. As said by others, go out and enjoy hiking now as you work towards your goals. Your hike your way and speed for your level. My experience as an overweight woman, the best shape I ever got for my hiking excursions was with Crossfit. It has been previously suggested and I 100% encourage you to explore a crossfit gym if you can. The variety of workouts with aerobic and strength training is the best I've found over the years for making my hiking outings more enjoyable, and injury free. I do what I term "old lady" crossfit, your coach will make the workouts appropriate for your age, weight and fitness level. Constantly varied and challenging to push you in a positive way. Don't be daunted if you watch a video of Crossfit, those are the elite, all workouts are scaled to individual levels. With the exercise you can work on a healthy diet that fits into your lifestyle. This will help you towards your hiking goals. You can do it and go enjoy the woods right now.

Thank you so, so much everyone.
    So much information to take into account. I have read all of your comments, and am really, really grateful for the advice and help.
    Off to amend my workout program a bit, and look around the forum some more.

Thank you again!!!
    PS, i do believe I have a crossfit gym not that far away from me.
    Going to look into it also!

Can I add my bit. I'm 58 bushwalked (oz for hiking) and infantry for a job. Put on a lot of weight while waiting for a double hip replacement and then got back into bushwalking. I started just with regular exercise and walking but found I had lost strength in the thighs and legs in general. I thought I would need more to do the AT next year, so I started a specialized program for trekkers and mountain climbers. All to build up the legs for climbs, core strength and endurance. With a good diet I've dropped a heap of weight and finding hills very easy. You need very little in the way of equipment and there is online support. It's available as an app from http://www.bigmountaintraining.com/c...s/base-program
    If you're not a fan of gyms and are dedicated, it could be an option.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

the best exercise you can do for hiking is hiking. Even if you can get out for just a few miles a couple times a week during the week and then do longer hikes on the weekends. Loops are great - start and finish where you started. Also allows you to carry less gear. As you improve, even if you can't increase your miles because of time, increase the pack weight. Incorporate as many hills as possible.

As for weight loss, I was in personal training for 20+ years, the best, most effective lifestyle change you can make is controlling your blood sugars. The best changes I have seen have been people who followed the "wheat belly diet." I'm talking about 90-120 pound weight losses for severely obese people and complete elimination of medications and health issues (blood pressure, diabetes, diverticulitis, energy issues, etc). This was not a plan I advocated until I saw the actual results. And yes, it is scientifically sound. I am a New Englander by birth. We are full of skepticism.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++