WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultrarunner Attempting to Break Scott Jurek's Appalachian Trail Record - Runner's Wor

Runner's World

Ultrarunner Attempting to Break Scott Jurek's Appalachian Trail Record
    Runner's World
    Ultrarunner Attempting to Break Scott Jurek's Appalachian Trail Record. Karl Meltzer has failed to achieve the mark two times, but hopes an experienced crew—which includes Jurek himself—will help. By Kit Fox Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 2:45 pm.

and more »

More...

Glad to hear Karl's going for it and it looks like he's well prepared. I hope he does it.

I hope that we can keep Karls attempt down to this one thread and that his "crew" drinking champagne on springer, and accidentally leaving a cliff bar wrapper doesn't make people butt hurt. The uproar of Jureks completion, in my eyes, was a disappointment to our hiking community and had to be a downer of sorts for Jurek. Best of luck to him
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I hope that we can keep Karls attempt down to this one thread and that his "crew" drinking champagne on springer, and accidentally leaving a cliff bar wrapper doesn't make people butt hurt. The uproar of Jureks completion, in my eyes, was a disappointment to our hiking community and had to be a downer of sorts for Jurek. Best of luck to him
    Well said. Go Karl!

At least we don't have argue about his lack of AT experience.

The man definitely has that, I would really enjoy seeing a daily vlog or weekly video update from his crew.

Some "hey how's the trail" dialogue along his path, it would be as for everyone that does it, a great way to document and save your trip. I think when I become the oldest man to thru hike, I will do a vlog
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The man definitely has that, I would really enjoy seeing a daily vlog or weekly video update from his crew.

Some "hey how's the trail" dialogue along his path, it would be as for everyone that does it, a great way to document and save your trip. I think when I become the oldest man to thru hike, I will do a vlog
    My suspicion is that you won't see a lot of that. Scott was an extremely outgoing person, and one of the major things that slowed him down was taking time to speak to everyone that came out. My impression of Karl is that he's a bit more focused on a single task and will spend less time doing extraneous things as he goes. Not that he's self absorbed - he was very friendly when I met him a couple of months ago briefly. Just comes across as a more intense personality.

I would really enjoy seeing a daily vlog or weekly video update from his crew.
    The article in post #1 posted this link where Karl will updating his progress.

I would think since Red Bull is sponsoring Karl they will be shelling out some coin for the logistics and they would like as much publicity as possible. I fully expect he will be as transparent as possible unlike the girl who broke the unsupported record last year who posted the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    The article in post #1 posted this link where Karl will updating his progress.

I would think since Red Bull is sponsoring Karl they will be shelling out some coin for the logistics and they would like as much publicity as possible. I fully expect he will be as transparent as possible unlike the girl who broke the unsupported record last year who posted the very minimum.
    That would be Jennifer Pharr Davis who holds the unsupported FKT record. I was kind of curious if Karl would make an attempt to break the ultimate record, but apparently its the supported time he is trying to beat this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    That would be Jennifer Pharr Davis who holds the unsupported FKT record. I was kind of curious if Karl would make an attempt to break the ultimate record, but apparently its the supported time he is trying to beat this year.
    No, he's referring to Heather Anderson/Anish, who set the self supported record in 2015. JPD's supported record is significantly older.

Anish! Dang, sorry about the mix up. I get those names juxtaposed a lot.

++ New Posts ++