WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by onelighthiker View Post
    First post
    I use A foldable credit card knife I purchased from AGG for 4.00 and also A micro victorknox with scissors and toothpick and tweezers.
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I appreciate a quality blade, but for hiking - where I have a better than average chance of losing it - I went with cheap and light.
    Ozark Trail from wallyworld. $2, and very light weight. It cuts paracord, opens food packets, and is pretty sharp.

I bought one of these around 7 years ago and it was only $1 back then. Have been super impressed that it is still sharp after all this time! It has been relegated to the camping and group backpacking pile, but it was an awesome investment.

Switched over the to the Leatherman Squirt PS 4 (2 oz) - Not the lightest, but I really like the scissors, the knife is all the knife I need, and the needlenose pliers have come in handy for removing porcupine quills that my dog somehow found/stepped on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    Building a shelter, making tools, processing game, building a trap to catch the Predator... not your standard trail hike activities.
    not standard hiking...more like reality show stuff.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Good rule of thumb: The size of the knife is (almost always) inversely proportionate to the skill of the backpacker. Big knife just screams NOOB, lol.

I include 'almost always' because although I've never seen an exception there might be one somewhere in the Known (or Unknown) Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    While I prefer a solid fixed blade, I can highly recommend this CRKT. It has a double locking system so you can aggressively engage the knife as you might a fixed blade without worry. The knife has stayed extremely sharp after one year of daily abuse, without any stone work. It is only 4oz! Sure some UL guys will find this too heavy. In my opinion "UL" only goes so far should you actual end up in a survival situation... I tend to aim for gear somewhere in between actual survival gear and UL gear. This knife does just that. Anyway, we all have opinions... ; )

http://www.crkt.com/M16-13-Special-F...eff-Combo-Edge
    Not only might it build a shelter, make tools, process game, and make a trap to catch the predator.... IT'S ALL BLACK AND TACTICAL TOO!! Oooooo, lol....

u.w.

Slightly off topic, can anybody tell me why all knifes in US, be they big or small, heavy or UL, have a partially serrated edge?
    During my last visit to the US I found a broken S&W ExtremeOps in a firepit, took it, repaired it and love it for everyday (home) use, but the serrated edge drives me crazy when it comes to cut properly or whittling.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Slightly off topic, can anybody tell me why all knifes in US, be they big or small, heavy or UL, have a partially serrated edge?
    During my last visit to the US I found a broken S&W ExtremeOps in a firepit, took it, repaired it and love it for everyday (home) use, but the serrated edge drives me crazy when it comes to cut properly or whittling.
    largely a marketing thing, to satisfy the Rambo types.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you lose the pack, likely lost knife too.
    I carry a Leatherman Micra (1.8 oz.), along with a Photon light and fishing license holder containing my ID, credit card and money on a lanyard attached to my pants belt loop. So unless I loose my pants I have a knife.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I have a kershaw Ken Onion Leek that doesnt have a serrated edge. Its the reason I bought it. Well, that, and I lost the previous two I purchased. I lose things when Im hiking. I figure if i lose something, I may not have needed it after all.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I carry a Leatherman Micra (1.8 oz.), along with a Photon light and fishing license holder containing my ID, credit card and money on a lanyard attached to my pants belt loop. So unless I loose my pants I have a knife.
    Not exactly a tool intended for bushcraft-type survival methods.
    But if you need to file your nails, turn some screws, or cut something with micro-scissors, your all set.

Ive got a few of the leatherman tools. My favorite to carry around is really the style. 0.8oz and an extremely sharp little blade. I quit carrying it hiking when realized how poor the tweezers were once. I now carry real , high quality, tweezers that work well. And a tiny magnifying glass from eyeglass lens repair kit, because I cant pull out a splinter I cant see.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-25-2016 at 08:00.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    A simple Swiss Army Classic weighs nothing and has everything required for backpacking. I'd rather have the tweezers, toothpick and other tools for a few extra grams. The Leatherman Micra weighs 1.4oz and has a ton of utlility.
    I find the scissors of the SAK Classic to be too small for my fat fingers to work. I use the Ambassador. It is identical to the Classic, just slightly larger.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I started out with a 4 in blade Frost. Then got ultralight fever and made a hacksaw blade knife. never made a sheath, so, it had to stay in the pack and was frequently not available when needed.
    Finally bought a small Gerber Pocket knife at Walmart and it has met all my needs for years now.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

I doesn't take much of a blade to do some serious work. Indians did it with a sliver of flint. I use the Gerber LST and a Spyderco about the same size. Both on dummy cords and small caribiner so I can hook it to something. I keep it on the pack strap when I'm hiking, pants when I'm in town.

Serrated edges have become popular because they look cool and aggressive. They do have a pretty useful function though. They are excellent at quickly cutting through cord. Lots of knives targeted at paramedics and search and rescue type folks use serrated blades for that reason.

While they are popular, they are certainly not universal in the USA. I think I still see more standard blades than serrated blades when I go look at knives at the sporting goods stores.

For myself, I prefer a standard edge because they are easy to sharpen without any special files or tools and the blade can be used for more finesse work since it isn't a glorified saw.

I hate to carry redundant gear but I do carry two knives....well sort of.
    The SAK Classic is not a knife. Yes it has what some call a blade but it is far from usable and does not hold any sort of an edge. I carry one for the scissors, tweezers, file, etc. Nice light compact tool.
    The redundancy is that also carry a dedicated knife...a Case Blackhorn.
    I know that I don't need the knife but I like having it and use it quite often.
    I keep the SAK in my first aid kit and cannot remember using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    I just got done reviewing one of these knives. I had never heard of the company before until I read an article in backpacking light. Your not going to chop or baton wood with it but if you're into the minimalist thing it might of interest to you. The testing I've done so far is all positive.
    Tuckahoe brought this knife to my attention last year so I bought one for my son. He loves it and now I want one.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not exactly a tool intended for bushcraft-type survival methods.
    But if you need to file your nails, turn some screws, or cut something with micro-scissors, your all set.
    e
    Ive got a few of the leatherman tools. My favorite to carry around is really the style. 0.8oz and an extremely sharp little blade. I quit carrying it hiking when realized how poor the tweezers were once. I now carry real , high quality, tweezers that work well. And a tiny magnifying glass from eyeglass lens repair kit, because I cant pull out a splinter I cant see.
    No it's not a Bushcraft knife. I find the scissors the most useful tool on it.

As far as turning some screws, my Granite Gear Ozone pack has two philips screws to hold the shoulder straps on. I carried an extra screw just in case and would have needed the small screw driver on the Micra if one got lost. Also the clamp on my Black Diamond flip-lock hiking poles requires a screwdriver to adjust.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Chattanooga, TN -An awesome town to live in

I'm in love with this little knife. I especially like the two guards keeping your hand from slipping onto the blade when using some real force. The blade is wider than the handle, but the handle is long enough to get all 4 fingers around it solid. And the chunky tip means it won't be breaking. This is the third knife I've purchased trying to find a good match between weight and usability and now I carry it everyday. I took off the clip and tossed it so smooth and disappears in my pocket. It's one of those sweet things that makes you consider buying another one in case they discontinue it.

Big fan of Kestrel Knives here....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TNshadetree View Post
    I'm in love with this little knife. I especially like the two guards keeping your hand from slipping onto the blade when using some real force. The blade is wider than the handle, but the handle is long enough to get all 4 fingers around it solid. And the chunky tip means it won't be breaking. This is the third knife I've purchased trying to find a good match between weight and usability and now I carry it everyday. I took off the clip and tossed it so smooth and disappears in my pocket. It's one of those sweet things that makes you consider buying another one in case they discontinue it.
    My next slightly off-topic question:
    The edge of this knife, like of so many I've seen in US, is parted in two straight edges.
    Why is this?
    I see some little advantage when doing some technical hobby work back home, but for my typical trail use, like cutting bread and smearing soft cheese on the bread its highly unpractical.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++