WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Slightly off topic, can anybody tell me why all knifes in US, be they big or small, heavy or UL, have a partially serrated edge?
    During my last visit to the US I found a broken S&W ExtremeOps in a firepit, took it, repaired it and love it for everyday (home) use, but the serrated edge drives me crazy when it comes to cut properly or whittling.
    Simply the serrated edge is ideal for a slicing cut, while the straight edge blade excels at pushing cuts. Whittling is generally a pushing cut and not the proper use for a serrated edge, but the propper application would be in cutting through cordage and straps such as seatbelt.

Serrated edges are marketed towards first responders and their popularity crosses over into everyday use, though they are not universal. I do not own any serrated edged knives
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Thanks for the insight, makes sense.

Journal Entries

serrated edge is mostly for cutting rope.
    Not just 1/8" cord, heavy rope. You need to saw thru it.

So kind of a task a hiker is faced daily? <G>

Any idea about the bipartide edge?

If you are referring to the tip, it is a tanto style tip that is common on military knives for armor piercing and is similar to tips on japanese swords. No real purpose other than to look cool and kill people. Probably not the best tip for a hiking knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Attachment 35513 Gerber LST, I think mine weighs 0.6 ounces and it has never failed to cut anything yet. I could probably even defend myself from a rabid chipmunk if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    About all the knife you need!
    It's all I carry and I like my Gerber. Here's a pic of it in action during a trip and posed with a standard bic.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Good rule of thumb: The size of the knife is (almost always) inversely proportionate to the skill of the backpacker. Big knife just screams NOOB, lol.
    Another rule of thumb: The size of a person's knife is inversely proportionate to the personal endowment-package of that particular person. Guys with hatchets and machetes and axes and cleavers and swords? Very small Units. Tiny knife? Huge, as Donny would say. I carry a tiny knife, enough said.

But alas, my trail tools are heavy and they go with me on every trip (because the trails suck so bad)---

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    I do have to admit a desire to take larger/heavier knives when I go backpacking. I'm confident in my skills that I don't really need much more than a razor blade, but having usable, useful, and safe tools at hand for various tasks trumps my desire to drop an ounce or two from my pack. Further, as an adult Scouter, I am constantly learning more about wilderness safety, emergency preparedness, first aid, etc so my first aid kit has a bit more in it than most backpackers (because I know how to use those items) and I lean towards a good blade.... be prepared and all that.

To each their own
    When you are on an outing with other peoples' kids with you, it changes your approach. A Scouter can't be a minimalist, IMHO.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Slightly off topic, can anybody tell me why all knifes in US, be they big or small, heavy or UL, have a partially serrated edge?
    During my last visit to the US I found a broken S&W ExtremeOps in a firepit, took it, repaired it and love it for everyday (home) use, but the serrated edge drives me crazy when it comes to cut properly or whittling.
    Not all knives, but most. It's hard these days to get a straight edge with no serrations, but you can find them.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Better watch your Unit when wielding those implements.

Could have a HYOOOGE problem, lol.

I actually started carrying some Fiskars snippers in my little local park to clear nettles and other thorny plants. Only 3.6 miles of trails but I would come back from a trail jog with my shins looking like hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    When you are on an outing with other peoples' kids with you, it changes your approach. A Scouter can't be a minimalist, IMHO.
    OK, I'll bite... How does a bigger knife figure into the equation?

I previously mentioned I carry a Victorinox Ambassador (slightly larger version of the Classic). It is used for a variety of applications.

But I forgot to mention that I also carry a plastic knife (free from fast food restaurants) for food use (cutting sausage and cheese, spreading PB and jam). It lives in my food bag. The blade the Ambassador isn't big enough to work well for these tasks and I don't like to get sticky food on my SAK. For food use I like to have a blade that is bigger, but not sharp. I suppose it qualifies as an ultralight knife.

plasticknife.jpg

Images

OK, I'll bite... How does a bigger knife figure into the equation?
    +1 ...Inquiring minds want to know...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

99% of the time (as Rob said) I take a Swiss Army Classic. I use it off the trail too quite often as a small pair of scissors comes in extremely handy many times!

Backcountry skiing? An older, no longer made, Leatherman Kick. Field repairs are sometimes needed with skis (or snowshoes). Not so much the larger knife I find handy, but the wire cutters, screw drivers and other tools. Was fairly light compared other multitools..so naturally it is no longer made!

Car camping/backcountry cooking/road trip lunches (slicing tomatoes, avocados, spreading peanut butter) / utility knife? The Bahco 2444 and is a fixed blade knife that is a stainless steel version of the well-known Mora Clipper. Made by Mora as well. Easy to maintain, very sharp, relatively light (sub-four ounces) and all around good utility knife. And for the bargain price of $15 or less.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-26-2016 at 13:27.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Over the years I've tried everything. I like the SAK Classic.

Currently carry the Kershaw Scallion Linerlock Knife, Damascus. 1620 DAM
    Not too big or small, holds a fine edge for a long time, locks open for carving.

2 1/4 inch blade. you know what that means...

I carry a Gerber Paraframe daily. I use it to open paint cans, clean fingernails, scrape paint drips off tile floors, cut carpet, cut cardboard, ad infinitum. It has one of those blades that is half fine edge and half serrated. The fine edge loses its edge relatively quickly (the way I use it ) , but the serrated part stays sharp pretty much forever.
    That's why I like the blades that are both fine/serrated; so I always have something that will cut (or saw) when the fine edge is dull.

As far as that cheap walmart knife I posted earlier - it has more serrated than fine edge. I don't particularly care for the ratio it has, but it was two bucks, so I deal with it.

However, the one I've settled upon for almost all the time is the SAK Classic with nail clips. On a longer trip I'm going to need them, so might as well take this.
    Attachment 35515
    +1 The clippers come in handy beginning in the second week you are on trail. Scissors are an essential tool as well. Worth the extra weight. Unfortunately this knife is not TSA approved because of the blade.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Not all knives, but most. It's hard these days to get a straight edge with no serrations, but you can find them.
    I've had good luck finding non serrated on Amazon since they offer so many models. I can't stand serrations and think they are an absolute garbage gimmick that renders half the blade useless. Right now I have a CRKT and a Benchmade locking knife that are full straight blades that are my every day utility knives.

As far as backpacking, my light and fast option is the same Leatherman Micra that I've had for half my life. I find the big scissiors the most useful item in the knife, which is the reason I prefer it to a SAK classic.

For trips that involve less walking and more camping, I'm sold on my simple $15 Morakniv. They're lighter and tougher than many similar knives that cost several times as much. I've used mine for fire-starting, food prep, bushcraft stuff, field dressing deer, as a daily beater knife for various jobs around the house and nearly everything I can think of.

Images

I like the Gerber LST (.6 ounces) as well. We carry them at both Top of Georgia Outfitters and Woody Gap Outfitters

I just picked up a really light folding Buck knife...polycarbonate handle and 3" blade for $20. It's light because the blade and two metal rivets are the only metal on it, no metal reinforcement where the blade folds into. I think it was a good compromise...plus I got it in pink so I can see it if I drop it.

Images

This thread got me wondering what options are out there to replace my LST with something as functional and lighter. I found this little beauty from A.G. Russell for only $29.95 and at 0.2 ounces advertized weight with a 1 1/2" blade, it looks darn hard to beat.

http://agrussell.com/knife/5545

rus-ypcf-ti.jpg
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++