WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Wenzel has a real inexpensive 1 person tent, but it looks less than ideal for a home on the trail.
    Having given one of those to my son, I can say that they are fragile, prone to moisture issues, and generally frustrating and useless. They are, however, fairly light and dirt cheap, making them ideal for emergencies or for 11 year-olds who are going to destroy almost anything they touch. With that said, while the Wenzel Starlight is missing a few guylines and has a patch on the pole socket, the kid is now 21, so the then-$20 tent isn't completely awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Hard to go wrong with the Henry Shires Tarptent lineup. There are so many options available, and for what you get, In my experience, your getting a guaranteed waterproof, wind resistant setup, for under 400 bucks. When I lay in my tent at night, and the bottom is falling out of the biggest rain cloud around, I have a smile on my face, as I can sleep knowing I wont wake up to any drips or water pools in my tent floor

http://www.tarptent.com/
    What is the performance like on the Tarptents? The Notch and Protrail look like great tents.

They have been used around the world in very remote areas and nasty weather. They work.
    Google will find reviews from users in Northern Europe where the weather is quite awful. Read for yourself.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The ProTrail and Notch are an apples and oranges comparison.
    It would be better to compare single wall to single wall and double wall to double wall.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    They have been used around the world in very remote areas and nasty weather. They work.
    Google will find reviews from users in Northern Europe where the weather is quite awful. Read for yourself.
    Wayne

I will check out some reviews, but nothing can beat the insights of folks here on WB. Thanks Wayne.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eabyrd1506 View Post
    Ok so based on this thread and way to many hours consulting the oracle and reading what others might say here's the current thoughts
    Cate - SMD Scout (assuming when she gets back from summer school she's good with the concept)
    Dad - TT Double Rainbow.

Thanks to all for the input.
    I have a TT double rainbow and am very happy with it. I would have responded earlier, but I was on trail with it last week.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

http://sectionhiker.com/eureka-solitaire-tent-review/

seconding caleb j. I used one of these for a while before upgrading to a tarp tent contrail. It did the job.

Images

I would view this as a wonderful opportunity to "upgrade" to a good single person tent, not for your daughter but for you. I suspect you will be doing a lot more trips then you will be together, especially in a couple of years. I wouldn't look at how you can find an acceptable solution for her, find the best solution for you. Further, if you haven't dabbled in making your own gear, perhaps making a simple mid style shelter and bug inner. I have made two and they are simple and my second mid, without the inner weighs in at about 6oz. plus stakes using .51 cuben.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Well GG has their new "the one" finally up on website too. Great protection (if anything like original) and only 19oz.
    But the price....ouch.

It uses the sil/PU so it can be pretaped like some commercial tents.

I sold my original "the one" last year because I hadnt used it in several yrs. I really loved that shelter. Not quite as thrilled about what I see with the new one though. And the silnylon 7D material the new one is made of is like wrestling with an octopus to try and stuff. You shove it in sack, it furls back out when you try to grab next handful. You need an oversize stuffsak or you will hate packing that stuff up. Which is one reason for me that cuben is much more preferable, its far easier to pack up than silly nylon. I dont want to futz with trying to get a shelter in a sack in the dark when Im trying to get moving.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-30-2016 at 11:26.

Like most things, stuffing a tent is all about technique.
    I have stuffed tents in polyester, silnylon,Epic ,cuben ,gore Tex never had a problem putting them back into their stuff sack in a short time.
    however the word "stuffing" does give the game away...
    With some fabrics (Epic and silnylon in particular) folding and rolling is the way to go but yes I understand that is not for everyone.
    here is another one of my, pretty obvious to some but not so much to others, video :

My Double Rainbow came on Thursday. I sprung to have the staff at tarp-tent do the seam sealing. I set it up last night in the backyard (5-min the first time with much of that futzing with the corners).

Anyone around SE PA knows it has rained heavy all day. My wife says 3 in in the bucket since yesterday. Just went out to the tent and except for the little water I let in when I opened it everything was dry as a bone (gotta allow for PA humidity of course). I stretched out and listened to the rain for a bit and thought about what I'd pack to for sleeping for my Sept 3-day.

Right now leaning towards a pad and a travel sheet with a liner just in case it gets chilly.

Thanks to everyone at Tarp Tent. Great Job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    I will check out some reviews, but nothing can beat the insights of folks here on WB. Thanks Wayne.
    True, but a very limited geographical proving ground.
    I also want to know how a tent holds up at altitude, above tree line, in a gale near the Arctic Circle. If it works in places like that it will work just about anywhere.
    Wayne

A local , Australian, brand makes a version of the Scott Polar tent. They are also made by US and Canadian firms.
    On average this 2 person design is around 66 lbs, (yes 66 not 6.6)having 4 x 1" poles .
    Mostly they work well in Antarctic winds but occasionally they fail too...
    Dead Scott tent.jpg
    good enough for 3 season backpacking ?

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    True, but a very limited geographical proving ground.
    I also want to know how a tent holds up at altitude, above tree line, in a gale near the Arctic Circle. If it works in places like that it will work just about anywhere.
    Wayne

I think there are plenty of us on here who have tested tents outside of the AT geographical area...above treeline, in a gale, but not in the Arctic Circle!!!

I got carried away with the Arctic Circle.
    I do think that expanding the gene pool when it comes to gear is not a bad thing.
    The fact that a small cottage company in California has a global customer base speaks well of their products and support.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++