WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting to the trail.

I'm in San Antonio. My initial plan was bus to DC. MARTAtrain to Harper's Ferry. I looked at itinerary and I have to switch busses in Roanoke. Then I thought just take train straight to HF. That itinerary left me frustrated by a 6hr layover. Then I discovered I could fly Jet Blue from Austin fairly cheap but then to HF was difficult too.

I guess I'll just have to put up with long layover and take train.

If anyone has another ideal I'm all ears.

I've read the public transit route from DC to HF here on WB several times. Somebody will shed some light.
    What about flying to the DC airport that fits into a public transit system plan?
    Just guessing really.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I found this:
    "I'm flying up from Florida to BWI, then riding the MATC out to HF, likely stay at Teahorse Hostel that night.... "
    BWI is Baltimore Washington International airport.
    MARC: https://mta.maryland.gov/marc-station-information
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

thats what i was going to suggest----fly into BWI...........which has an amtrak station nearby (not sure if a shuttle runs back and forth or if one needs to take taxi or bus)............

or fly into Reagan National and take subway over to Union station and get on Amtrak............

Occasionally lucid

^ This. Southwest flies to BWI. Not sure any discount airlines fly to Reagan (DCA) (e.g. Jet Blue) but do not fly to Dulles (IAD). Nothing is convenient from Dulles.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Images

Nothing is convenient from Dulles.

yeah..........thats what i was thinking as well.....

while its closer in distance to harpers ferry----it would be much more of a pain in the arse to get from dulles out there........

There is only one way to get to HF by public transportation and that is either the MARC train or Amtrack. I used Amtrack both times I traveled to HF (this spring and last) as I haven't figured out the MARC. Both are late afternoon trains, so makes little difference.

If you get stuck in DC for the day, it's a good opportunity to do the monument tour. The train station is not far from the Capital building and the start of the Mall. If you arrive in the spring, all the gardens and flowers are stunning.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Do you suppose that the AT folks in Harper's Ferry might have public transit information? Available over the phone?
    A novel idea.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Do you suppose that the AT folks in Harper's Ferry might have public transit information? Available over the phone?
    A novel idea.

Wayne
    Not as much help as it could or should be. Better than nothing.

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
    Amtrak
    has daily service to and from Washington, D.C., Union Station, with westbound trains continuing to Chicago. Amtrak also serves the following towns not far from the Appalachian Trail: Roanoke, Virginia ; Charlottesville, Virginia ; Rutland, Vermont ; White River Junction, Vermont. Reservations required.
    Maryland Rail Commuter
    (MARC) service's Brunswick line has two or three trains a day leaving Harpers Ferry for Washington in the morning and returning in the evening, weekdays only.
    Wayne

Yeah. I didnt find it very helpful the ATC stuff. Suprisingly while I could fly to new york for just over $120 dollars its way more to fly to DC. I dont remember where the layover was. If its DC thats actuly ok because I want to see some of DC anyway.

The layover is in Chicago.

Easy train connection from BWI to Union Station, but you need to take a free shuttle bus from the terminal to the train station (few miles away). Easy but takes some time. You can also take a bus from BWI to the Greenbelt Metro station which is walking distance to the College Park REI if you need to resupply. From Greenbelt you take the Metro to Union Station. From DCA you take the Metro to Union Station. From Dullas (IAD) you can take a bus to a Metro Station and the Metro to Union Station (BTW, IAD is Russian for hell). I had two long layovers at Union Station Station waitinf for my PM train. One time I took the bus to Dullas to see the Air and Space Museum there (a pain, two transfers, great museum). The other I walked to the Mall. You can check your bag for free at the west door of the National Gallery of Art. Go see the only Da Vinci in the western hemisphere and the unbelievable Van Eyk. Great Rembrants. Or go to another Museum. Good food court in the American Indian Museum. Natural History Museum has gone downhill.

You can fly from San Antonio to DCA or BWI for probably less than 400$ with very few layovers on Southwest (quite a few options). Is Jet Blue much less? Remember there is no bag fee on SW.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    The layover is in Chicago.
    Then the layover might be shorter then you think. The trains are notorious for being late at the end of the line. Which is why they give themselves a big buffer. I got stuck in Chicago for nearly a full day since my train from Glacier was way late getting to Chicago to make the east coast connection (at 9 PM). So, they put me up in a hotel and gave me $25 to spend. I walked back to the Union Station the next day instead of taking a taxi and toured the Chicago water front. By being careful where I eat, I ended up with some of that $25 left over.

But if your layover is during the day, you might have time to wander around Chicago for a while. Check out "the Bean".

Odd man out Jet blue was way less; cheaper than train a bit more than bus. Slogoen thanks for the info. Im leaning towards train because I have never taken one before. I am seriously considering sending most of my stuff ahead by mail to Harper's Ferry so I can travel light.

Oh also Odd man out im considering buying my tickets in pieces to create a longer delay in DC so I can sight see.

I prefer taking the train when ever possible over flying since flying has become such a pain in the butt. Also with the train I don't have to worry about what's in my pack or it getting lost or things going missing or damaged.

If you fly, definitely a good idea to ship the gear ahead by UPS Ground.

The one down side of the train is that is very hard to get any sleep. Get some eye shades and ear plugs, those will help a little. The lights in the coaches stay on, there are people moving around and other distractions going on all night.

I looked into using the train to go from NE Texas to New Mexico. Ask Amtrak about checking baggage on the train in Texas. One of the trains between Mineola and San Antonio did not have provision for checking luggage.
    Wayne

Images

One of the trains between Mineola and San Antonio did not have provision for checking luggage.

isnt checking luggage on a train just a matter of throwing it on the overhead bin?

or at the front and tail end of each car there's usually a luggage space....

in the limited amount of trains i have taken, thats what i have always done with my luggage....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    isnt checking luggage on a train just a matter of throwing it on the overhead bin?

or at the front and tail end of each car there's usually a luggage space....

in the limited amount of trains i have taken, thats what i have always done with my luggage....
    Some trains/stations have checked baggage. If you make connections, its checked thru to destination. I dont like keeping eye on my luggage at every stop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++