WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Could be arthritis setting in. I hate to say it. Also, I find treadmills don't do anything for me as far as trail conditioning is concerned. The starimaster and elliptical (on high resistance) seem to work better, but again, you have to watch your mechanics.

Going backwards on the elliptical with relatively flat incline and high resistance will help with training for downhills, but nothing really mimics hiking like hiking. Your center of gravity is changed, the terrain is uneven and different, so your footstrike and gait will vary.

I recently bought an open-patella knee brace since one of mine tends to swell up like a cantaloupe. I take Osteo BiFlex when I can remember and try to lay off the ibuprofen- that stuff is bad mugambo for your liver, and mine gets enough work as it is.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Images

Some great advice has already been posted here. Keep your head up and get out there when you feel ready.
    Also, don't ever consider informed gear choices to be a waste of money. Even if you don't end up enjoying your purchases, the resale value on quality hiking gear is usually very high. If you do enjoy it and take care of your gear, it should last you many years.

Its funny. I started on a stairmaster. I was doing fine. Then, someone posted that I should do a treadmill instead. It was then that my knees started to hurt. I think I will go back to the stairmaster.

Thanks for the advise about the glucosamine. I just went out and purchased two bottles. Maybe by taking everyones advise such as using a stairmaster instead of the treadmill, taking glucosamine as well as taking short practice hikes nearby, I may do better. Time will tell. I will make my hike attempt in October if all goes well. If not, it will be in the spring. My final goal will be to take it a little at a time until I attempt a Thru Hike in the spring of 2019.

How many minutes or miles have you been doing on the treadmill? (Apologies in advance if you have already answered this and I missed it.)

PS: The PCT kickoff shake down video is good. I haven't watched it in a while. If I remember correctly, he recommends doing 10 mile days or less to start.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVWIYP6FaJM
    Last edited by DLP; 07-23-2016 at 12:59.

PS again. I finished up a 9 month period of no hiking this spring.

I injured my knee last summer on a hike and was eating WAY too much tuna. Was like jalapeno juice had been injected into my knee. Was diagnosed with my first gout attack last July. I also dislocated that patella/kneecap (skiing... not hiking) in 2005, so it has never been "perfect".

That knee is almost back to normal, over a year later. I'm really careful to do shorter days now. Have also lost 10 lbs, which helped a lot. And low protein diet.

I would have NEVER guessed that I have gout, so all of the recommendations to go to a dr. are right on. There might be something going on that nobody, including you, could even guess.

Best wishes and hang in there!
    Last edited by DLP; 07-23-2016 at 13:40.

I spend 1 to 1 and a haof hours on the treadmill each day

why a low protein diet? I am on a high protein diet

55 here. I"m a bit believer in training on the trail, and trekking poles, which I pooh-poohed for many years, have actually helped me tremendously, even if only helping to prevent falls on downhill sections (I used to joke that my trail name should be Sir Fallsalot). I also think a visit to an orthopedist might be appropriate, if only for reassurance and for a realistic assessment of where you knees are, so to speak.

Don't know anything about your general starting fitness or activity level... but 90 minutes might be a case of too much, too soon. Maybe more realistic to start like at 15-20 minutes and gradually build up? Also, 90 minutes or 6-8 miles on a treadmill if very different from a steep trail. Trail, you walk at different speeds and take different length strides. On trail, I'd stop and take a break or every 2-3 miles. Repetition of the treadmill could very well be harder on your body/knees. Elliptical is easier on knees... if you start at like 15 minutes and gradually build up.

For whatever it is worth, I identify and tend to think if some is good, more must be better. This thinking is very common among hikers, thru-hikers, people planning or thinking of a thru hike, or anybody who has read a book or the internet about 10, 20 or 30+ mile days, trail speed records, etc, etc. Which is pretty much everybody on this board. You don't see people post about trips with 4 mile per day plans. That would just be embarrassing! Although, that is pretty much what I have to do these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    why a low protein diet? I am on a high protein diet
    Sorry about the confusion.
    Low protein is because of gout arthritis and kidney issues. Not recommended for everyone. Do what works for you.
    Although, a lot of protein can be harder on our older kidneys - depending on individual. More is not always better.

Check with a doctor about your knees if it is not improving with rest, ice and ibuprofen. You are resting, right? Or are ya doing 90 mins on stair stepper now?
    Maybe get a reference to a ortho or a physical therapist. Hang in there and good luck and best wishes.

Oh... and your knees will appreciate your low weigh tent. So, no matter, you probably have not put the cart before the horse. And like somebody posted... it will hold resale value.
    Last edited by DLP; 07-24-2016 at 12:06.

Garlic
    Images

If the treadmill hurts, stop using the treadmill! If any elective activity hurts, either stop doing it or find a different way of doing it that doesn't hurt. Hiking should be pleasant, not painful. Slow down the pace, lighten the load, try different shoes, etc.

Taking painkillers to mask pain makes about as much sense as disconnecting fire alarms during a fire.

Going on a multi-month diet of NSAIDs is a good way to damage your inner works.

And getting medical advice on the internet is worth every penny you pay for it!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by frontovik193 View Post
    Some great advice has already been posted here. Keep your head up and get out there when you feel ready.
    Also, don't ever consider informed gear choices to be a waste of money. Even if you don't end up enjoying your purchases, the resale value on quality hiking gear is usually very high. If you do enjoy it and take care of your gear, it should last you many years.
    +1 I spent years agonizing over my gear choices, thinking I wanted to have everything just right. Then I end up replacing several pieces of gear after each hike. It wasn't that the original choices were wrong or bad. It's just that I'm always tweaking gear choices based on the experience of the previous hike.

I'd like to thank my general condition is very good. I am a construction superintendent, who works his butt off. I walk 5 to 8 miles a day on the job sites. I also fatefully work out at a fitness center. That is where the treadmill came into play. I think I will back off of the treadmill. I also did not realize it too much protein could be bad for somebody At my age. Possibly. Maybe I shall see my doctor for these issues. I am excited. Maybe too excited. I am also one of those who thinks if a little is good more must be better even if it does mean faster.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    And getting medical advice on the internet is worth every penny you pay for it!
    Well, I stand by my medical advice, ie IF YOU HAVE A CONCERN, GO SEE A DOCTOR
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Ok. Other than my Zpacks tent which should arrive in mid August, I am about ready for my first short trip on the Appalachian Trail. I was not aware of the expense of getting ready. I have also been training by walking on a treadmill at a 15° incline at 2 1/2 to 3 mph. now my knees are starting to ache. I would hate to think I will begin my initial 42 mile hike, and find that my knees hurt too much. Is this common? I am 56 years old. Is there something I can do to help the ache in my knees? I would hate to think I put the cart before the horse and purchased everything I needed only to find out I cannot make the hike.
    Slow down, take Advil, hike your own hike, don't race. Get a physical.

- lose weight from your pack
    - lose weight from your body (if you could stand to lose some)
    - take it slow, it's not a competitive event so don't over do it.

I am definitely not overweight so that should not be an issue. I have yet to weigh my backpack though. I heard under 30 pounds is a good weight? I am hoping under 25 pounds?

I also have only four days to make this hike. And the last day I have to get to Neels gap early enough to make a 7 Hour Drive back home. Do you think that is pushing it? I hope to get to Neels gap by noon or maybe a couple hours later.

Start hiking early. Use an alarm if necessary.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Lots of good advice here.

I would suggest 1) ditching the treadmill work for a bit, and 2) trying to get some experience - no matter how short - walking with a pack on.

For the latter, I prepare for backpacking trips by walking to and from the train station (on my way to work), with some type of pack on. It's a mile and a half each way. The idea here is to the legs used to carrying a load.

I'd also suggest - strongly - starting your trip with an easy first day. It's real easy at home to plan big days, but your first day with a fully loaded pack can be tough on the body. Better to have longer days later in the trip, when your body is starting to get used to things, and your pack is a little lighter.

This sounds like a great trip. Let us know how it goes!
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++