WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thru-hiker in training... Hammock related questions...

Howdy WhiteBlaze forum folks!

I'm planning a flip-flop thru-hike starting April/May-ish 2017 and have some questions. I'm getting my hammock set-up configured one piece at a time and my next purchase will be my bottom insulation.

You can see where I'm at so far, Here.

• 'd items in the list are things already purchased
      (I actually purchased the Osprey Exos 58 from REI and plan to return it for the 38 in the near future)
    • Items with 0 weight are things I still need to research more and haven't come close to deciding yet.
    • Not everything is set in stone except the hammock

I have listed the EE Revolt 20° 55"L x 45"W at 15oz, but I'm also considering the WB Yetti 20°, which is shorter & more narrow, 46"L x 40"W at 12.5oz. I also have listed the Gossamer Gear SitLight Camp Seat for general purpose & foot leg/foot insulation. I don't know enough about the pad to know if this will work sufficiently.

I'm 6'0", 225 lbs, 24" shoulder to shoulder. I'm trying to determine a combination of UQ and pad for complete coverage in my WBBB XLC SL with as little weight as possible and adequate coverage in most possible 3-season situations on the AT.

One other thing I'm also considering is the option to have a ground/shelter option, though my plan is to hammock 90% of the time on the trail. I'm a light sleeper and movement, sounds, etc. wake me easily. Ear plugs only do so much...

TLDR -
    • Using my dimensions, what UQ/Pad combo do you suggest to cover most 3-season AT exposures for my WBBB XLC single layer while trying to keep weight to a minimum but also maintaining the UQ regardless.
    • Is it possible to include a ground/shelter option while keeping the weight to a minimum, or is that too much to ask for a lightweight thru-hiker?

I've scoured the interwebs including Hammock Forums, hammock Google searches, etc. Most conversations refer to small CCF pads, but I'm a complete newby to all of this. I don't know enough about flexibility, hammock conformity, comfort, etc. etc. etc. to know what's best for my set-up.

Single layer hammock? Forget the pad. They slide out from underneath you. That leaves an UQ.

I am partial to the Yeti. It has an irregular cut that hooks on the shoulder and helps it to "ride" the WBBB perfectly. I also have not seen much that beats the weight. I use a Thermarest Z-Lite for back up insulation and going to the ground. I currently use a Dutch sit pad for my feet. It doesn't take much besides quality sleep socks to keep them warm. I plan on getting Tyvek as a ground cloth. I currently use a $5 Windshield screen. I use a 20* HG Burrow and also carry a 10.35 oz. UGQ 50* Flight Jacket that I am hoping to layer to go colder. My last purchase will be the HG CF Winter Palace Tarp to replace my current WB Edge. I purchased Trekking Pole Cups from ZPacks and I am hoping to be able to set up the CF Tarp into an A Frame bottomless tent; although the AT can be done 100% in a Hammock. I am not heading out until at least 2018 so good luck.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    I am partial to the Yeti. It has an irregular cut that hooks on the shoulder and helps it to "ride" the WBBB perfectly. I also have not seen much that beats the weight.
    gbolt - Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?

See Dutchware.com for a way to lighten your WB XLC--kevlar tree straps.

Try whatever setup (one assumes you will and / or are). A lot. That's the only way to gauge whether you can use the Yeti with a lower leg/foot pad. The whole hanging thing is tetchy and practice pays off.

Been Hammockforums.net? If not, go.

Your 20 F gear will be real hot in the peak summer months, yet going with nothing doesn't work for most people except on the warmest nights.

Consider treating your SL hammock with Permethrin (read up on doing so and take all necessary precautions if you choose to do so).

as noted, head to hammockforums.net. There is an incredible spread sheet over at hammock forums for all sorts of hammock gear. All the major vendors and cottage one's listed.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by WiredMonk View Post
    gbolt - Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?
    Not at all; 6 ft even and 190 when I start a hike, 180 when I finish...lol. The Yeti goes from the shoulders down to the back of my knees in winter. I always sleep in a head covering when under 60º, as well as using a pillow to lift my head so I don't loose heat through the hammock. Like I stated, I use a Dutch sit pad for feet, lower legs; but really rely on oversized warm wool socks. My last trip I tried to slide the Yeti up high on my head, hoping to "hook" it on my butt to stay cool in warmer nights. It didn't really worked and was still mid thigh. Really doesn't matter, I am a side sleeper at home but figure four - back sleeper in a hammock. The hammock was cooler than the bed at 69º even with the UQ. I also really adjust clothing. No Pants or Socks in Summer, just shorts and sometimes no shirt; just boxers. Dang, hope you don't mind that I just didn't say 6 ft and stop there!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Not at all; 6 ft even and 190 when I start a hike, 180 when I finish...lol.
    Dang, hope you don't mind that I just didn't say 6 ft and stop there!
    In response to the second part, I don't mind at all. The more insight into your experience helps me understand your gear choices and translate those into my gear.

Also, because your height and gear is similar, I'd like to get your take on my decisions so far. I just ordered an Enlightened Equipment UQ, going with a 55" length and reduced (increased?) the temperature rating to 30° from 20°. I plan to get a 30° TQ as well. I've given this a lot of thought and believe this will get me through the whole trail without having to figure out gear swaps on the trail since I don't have a support system outside of myself.

I'm going to get a torso length pad for my feet in the hammock and ground/shelter sleeping. I'm getting a poncho that will work as a ground sheet with my tarp for "tent" sleeping if needed or required shelter sleeping. If temperatures dip too low, I can combine the TQ and UQ for extra insulation when needed in those cases. Overall, I think this covers almost every possible situation that could arise outside of some extreme freeze that wouldn't be covered even if I went with 20° TQ/UQ.

I still think I'll be able to do the majority of the trail in my hammock as I'm a warm sleeper anyway, but if it gets too cold, I can drop to the ground for a night or two and double up with the two quilts.

EE is great gear, as is UGQ and HG. I also am trying to carry everything without gear swap as well. Thus, my choice for the Yeti was more weight related than anything else. I fear cold sleeping so I didn't trust the 30º TQ and dropped to the 20º and went with the UGQ 50º Flight Jacket for a much lighter weight choice for the summer heat. Together they are less than 30 oz. and even with the 12 oz Yeti, I have a lighter set up than my old 20º synthetic mummy bag.

I am probably going with the Tyvik Ground Sheet that can supplement ground or even serve as a vapor barrier in my DL Hammock (again, fear of cold- lol). I would suggest you make sure your TQ comes with loops and the Pad Kit if you plan on combinining and going to the ground.

I also plan on doing the majority of this trail in the hammock. I am messing with Z Pack Trekking Pole Cups for Balds or backyard, baseball fields and unavailable trees. However, this is rare on the AT; yet I have the PCT and or AZT, in the back of my mind as well.

I can tell you are like me and really research, debate, analyze and then purchase so that you really don't look back or redo purchases. About the only redone purchase so far has been Bag Liners and Pillows which are both luxury items. For me, the key was under 20 lbs. winter carry weight. So as I put something into the bag at this point, something comes out. Well until I get the HG CF Winter Palace Tarp!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

I've been backpacking for 15+ years and just getting into the hammock side of things. I'm also 6 foot so I'll be following this thead. Thanks for the good info so far!

5'11" here.. about 195lbs.

I'm using a WB BB, DL 1.1. I'm a fan of the CCF pad and have zero issues with it sliding it around between the layers. I've taken it down to the mid 40's with a TQ, but I've modified it to cover my shoulders. A standard CCF pad would likely leave your shoulders exposed. I've been playing with a Dry Ducks poncho to hang it as an UQ just to be a wind break, but frankly, it's not necessary. The pad packs easy in or on tip of my ULA Ohm v2. That said, you've already picked up the UQ.. so you're good there. I am a warm sleeper, so a three quarter would be my choice should I decided to bail on the pad or the Yeti, to match the asym cut of the BB.

Agree on visiting Dutchwaregear.. I am using Kevlar tree straps into a five foot length of Dynaglide, into Ti LoopAliens that are spliced onto the continuous loops on the hammock ends. My entire suspension, which is two 8 foot straps, the Dynaglide, a thirty seven foot continuous ridge line with Dutch hook and wasp, four Mini Groundhog stakes and three Ti shepards hooks, plus bag is under six ounces.

Also agree that heading to hammockforums.net is a good idea.. tons of info there.

AT 2012

Okay I'll admit I haven't read every post of this thread but I am a fan of a Sit pad under one's feet. That works perfectly for me tucked into the foot box of my unzipped sleeping bag, which which keeps everything in place. If you are going to go with a sit pad or other foldable pad it might make sense to consider using the gossamer gear system where the pad is a part of the pack...
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Okay I'll admit I haven't read every post of this thread but I am a fan of a Sit pad under one's feet. That works perfectly for me tucked into the foot box of my unzipped sleeping bag, which which keeps everything in place. If you are going to go with a sit pad or other foldable pad it might make sense to consider using the gossamer gear system where the pad is a part of the pack...
    +1 on the Dutch Sit Pad, especially with the Yeti. Also, don't forget the trick of using the empty pack (for me Ohm 2.0) to place feet into on those 0º - 20º nights in either the hammock or on the ground.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use a pad (thermarest prolite short or big agnes) in my single-layer hammocks, and have no trouble being comfortable. No sliding, no issues. YMMV, but a pad gives you the option of sleeping on the ground for cowboy camping, the occasional shelter, whatever.

I don't use a pad while in the hammock but I do bring my neoair just in case it is raining badly and I want to stay dry in a shelter. I have a double layer hammock because I heard it helps with mosquitoes attacking from below and I could always slide a half inflated neoair between the layers if it gets too cold. I do use a 3/4 length 20-25 degree UQ and a 25- 30 degree JRB TQ with my WBBB. I have not had any issues the past 2 months with my feet getting cold but I do under 40- 50 degrees. I have used my folded up neoair under my feet in the past but on really cold nights I noticed condensation would build and get my footbox wet.
    If you don't like messing around with setup at camp I recommend the strap suspension with dutch clips, its is heavier than whoopies or line strap but is so much easier to set up and don't forget to tie a drip loop on either end if it will be raining. I am sick of tying knots so I went with all dutch bling for my suspension and tarp tie off points.
    I have tyvek for a ground lay and sit pad but have never ground layed except for in shelters. If you are using a nylon tarp get shock cord for the corners so it self tensions overnight since nylon stretches.
    Don't skimp on tarp size, My friend went with the asym hennesy and he gets wet every hard rain.

++ New Posts ++