WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Lemon-lime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    A matter of personal taste for sure then. The guy that actually gave us half a tube on the trail said they tasted horrible but worked. I tried an orange yesterday and was not impressed.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Mine is the "new & improved" variety. Trying the Wild Berry today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

There are two types of Nuuns, regular flavor and "energy" flavor with caffeine. I prefer the non-caffeine blend.

From the Amazon reviews, the new Nuun tablets are very sweet from stevia. Emergen-c electrolyte mix changed formula as well and added sweetener. Anyone know of a good unsweetened electrolyte mix?

One could do a diy mix, from http://paleoleap.com/all-about-electrolytes/

"¼ teaspoon of lite/low-sodium salt* + ¼ teaspoon of regular salt + 1-2 teaspoons of Epsom salts, dissolved in as much water you need to make it palatable.

*Low-sodium salt is basically a type of salt that replaces some of the sodium with potassium; it’s there as a cheap and easy potassium supplement.

That recipe will give you 325mg of potassium, 833mg of sodium, and a decent amount of magnesium, depending on how much Epsom salts you use (start lower and work up; Epsom salts can give you nasty diarrhea if you go too high too fast). You can add the juice of one lime for the cost of about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate, if that makes it taste better."

I wouldn't object to a bit of sugar or powdered juice for flavor, but I prefer to control the sugar intake.

I just ordered several Nuuns and here are the ingredients of Nuun Active---(not the energy caffeine one)---

Citric acid, dextrose, natural flavors (?? cow juice??, MSG??, dog meat?, fish eggs?, fish eyes??,), calcium carbonate (the FIZZ), stevia leaf extract, monk fruit extract (hallucinogenic??), avocado oil, beet juice powder, riboflavin.

What the heck is dextrose? A simple sugar identical to glucose (blood sugar) and comes from corn. What the heck is Monk fruit? It's another sweetener and 200 times sweeter than sugar. Yawn I bore myself. Onto another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I just ordered several Nuuns and here are the ingredients of Nuun Active---(not the energy caffeine one)---

Citric acid, dextrose, natural flavors (?? cow juice??, MSG??, dog meat?, fish eggs?, fish eyes??,), calcium carbonate (the FIZZ), stevia leaf extract, monk fruit extract (hallucinogenic??), avocado oil, beet juice powder, riboflavin.

What the heck is dextrose? A simple sugar identical to glucose (blood sugar) and comes from corn. What the heck is Monk fruit? It's another sweetener and 200 times sweeter than sugar. Yawn I bore myself. Onto another topic.
    Yep, dextrose, monk fruit, and beet juice are all sugars, and the stevia is an herb that has zero carbs but a sweetening effect. Not surprising that most commercially sold preparations would be very sweet, but not for me.

Last weekend, I did a ~10 mile day hike on the FL. trail in upper 80s heat along with typical FL humidity (AKA sweatbox). All I had was H2O, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Last weekend, I did a ~10 mile day hike on the FL. trail in upper 80s heat along with typical FL humidity (AKA sweatbox). All I had was H2O, no problems.
    How many nights were you out? Warm water is okay for a day or two, afterwhich I start hankering for something with taste. My options:

**Morning ritual of morning brewed peppermint tea with copious honey. Pour into water bottle. Hike. Cold sweet mint tea on the trail by noon.
    **The mentioned Nuun fizzies.
    **Various drink powders etc etc etc. Frontier Co-op used to make a nice fruit powder.
    **Another trick: I always take 100% fruit jam/jelly on my trips (don't worry folks, it lasts 15 days even in this heat)---use it on my peanut butter sandwiches. Tip: Mix a couple tablespoons of jam into cold mountain spring water, shake. Voila! Fruit juice drink.

** I used to take my fave, cans of Knudsen ginger ale soda. Saved them for Day 8 or 10 or whatever. That is until a yellow jacket hornet flew into one and it got in my mouth and stung me on the inner lip. OW.

Journal Entries

How many nights were you out? Warm water is okay for a day or two, afterwhich I start hankering for something with taste.

I drink more if I got a little flavor.
    Nuun is nasty. At least one i tried several yrs ago was. And stupidly overpriced. Your paying for....fizz. And it takes too long to dissolve.
    EmergenC sucks too

Imo, that is . ymmv.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-29-2016 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    I can't get excited about day hikes....period.....especially in the Fl heat! Miserably hot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I can't get excited about day hikes....period.....especially in the Fl heat! Miserably hot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree 100% with you---I never get excited about dayhikes and I never want to do them. Why go to all the work of driving to a trailhead and starting the day in your car and then hiking a little bit and returning to the trailhead and ending your day at . . . wait for it . . . the blasted car. It's like you're eating a fruit salad but you can have only one grape.

There are hiking clubs all around my area but these folks never can seem to turn a one day hike into an overnighter and come out the next day. It's mind boggling.

There are two types of Nuuns, regular flavor and "energy" flavor with caffeine. I prefer the non-caffeine blend.
    Is it "habit" forming?

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Is it "habit" forming?
    Nothing is habit forming on a backpacking trip, except maybe oatmeal. I likes me my oats. Every consumable including Nuuns gets old fast.

I think Nuun is one of those "squired taste" things, at least it was for me.....to expensive for the return for me anyway, I'd rather eat a tomato.

Ackwired.....sheesh!

Journal Entries
    Images

I've seen so many hikers out with bandanas tied to one of their pack straps. Simple, brilliant, useful. YOu're right about skin coverage. Just keep eating and drinking at intervals. You need to replace the salt you're losing so salty snacks help. Last, I've never gone wrong with wearing UnderArmor basic compression T to get the sweat off your skin quick. Wear a layer over it, and it does a decent job of getting the sweat out of the space between the layers. Your outer garment will get quite "chalky" from dried sweat, but that is part of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    Hey guys - Planning on doing a 7.5 mile day hike from Pen Mar to Old Forge next Wednesday. If anyone lives in the mid-Atlantic, they are well aware of the disgusting weather we are getting. I was wondering if anyone had some good tips for hot temperature/high humidity hiking? I know that section is under a pretty thick canopy and the obvious ones like water and skin coverage are important. Just seeking some tips from some experienced hikers.

Thanks!
    Josh

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh and... I look for (and wear) light and medium colored poly button down shirts. Long or short sleeve depending on mosquitos, heat, and the like...look for something with pit vents, back flaps and the like for the most versatility. Goodwill, Salvation Army, bargain bins...

Tomatoes do not pack well. Except dehydrated.
    i know a fella that brings a full cheese cake, but yeah, they bruise easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Is it "habit" forming?
    HAH! Perhaps the better Nunn product would walk behind you three paces and carry a meter stick wrapped in black electrical tape...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++