WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Hiking in hot and humid weather

Hey guys - Planning on doing a 7.5 mile day hike from Pen Mar to Old Forge next Wednesday. If anyone lives in the mid-Atlantic, they are well aware of the disgusting weather we are getting. I was wondering if anyone had some good tips for hot temperature/high humidity hiking? I know that section is under a pretty thick canopy and the obvious ones like water and skin coverage are important. Just seeking some tips from some experienced hikers.

Thanks!
    Josh

You kinda have to embrace the sweat. I hike in GA so I feel your pain. I take extra dew rags to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I also pack at the least an extra shirt for changing into at the trailhead upon return. (Sometimes a towel!) Other than that, drink a lot of water.

I find that dumping a cup or so of water on my head feels great. Even when the water is the same temperature as the air. If you can stop and do that once an hour or so, it really helps both physically and mentally.

Also, you should probably adjust your time expectations. You just aren't going to move as fast as you would in cooler temps.

Journal Entries

Hike early and late. When possible, plan to spend midday hours napping, reading, playing in a creek, studying ants, pondering the meaning of life, etc.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Wear a hat. Every time you get to a stream, dunk it in the water and put it back on your head.

Otherwise, start early, take a long break in mid-afternoon if you can, and drink plenty of water.

A short dayhike doesn't sound like a struggle no matter the temps. Now stretch that dayhike into a 15 day backpacking trip and "hot and humid" weather really gets serious.

I spend a lot of time backpacking in the Southeast where the humidity and temps have been outlandish for the last two months. Don't trip over the rattlesnakes. Here are some of my techniques---

** Wet ballcap and t-shirt repeatedly in cold creek water and wear while hiking. (As Ktaadn and Burger says). I like to take an off-pack break and remove my t-shirt and rinse it out repeatedly to remove salt and put back on.

** Camp next to mountain creeks as much as possible and get into the water often. Here's what happens: You arrive in camp a hot steaming sweatlodge mess and set up camp and get crap arranged. You jump into whatever swimming hole you can find and stay submerged for 10 or 15 minutes. Return to camp and your whole system is "refrigerated" and everything feels great. In 3 hours you're back to steaming and so return to the swimhole and repeat procedure.

** And as Jpolk84 says, you just have to embrace the heat and you will get acclimated to it eventually. After backpacking for 10 days at 90F+ degrees, an 85F day seems like late Fall.

** The worst aspect for me is climbing a tough mountain on a hot trail with no shade and my usual 80 lb pack. It will remove all appendages and you'll arrive at the top as an involuntary eunuch.

** The hottest conditions are those with absolutely still air and no wind. The only wind I generate is the breeze passing over my body as I move forwards. This sucks. The best thing in the summer is to set up high on a mountain top in the shade during a windstorm. You'll enjoy whatever wind chill there is.

Journal Entries

Its not the hiking, its the sleeping.

I run 4-5 miles most evenings. Its 95F and high humidity. Im use to sweating , dont bother me. Actually good for you to sweat profusely now and then , I think. But I like to sleep, and its often miserable before 2am in hot weather. I get sticky itchy damp
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-22-2016 at 10:54.

Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate it. I know we will cross a few streams and that is a wonderful idea to dip my hat in it. This hike shouldn't take long, no more than a few hours. I'm going with someone who isn't as experienced as I am (and obviously I am not that experienced or I wouldn't be asking). Anyway, should be a nice adventure.

Images

Hiking in really hot weather is similar to climbing a really steep mountain. It slows you down and wears you down. Specifically, I cut my daily mileage in half in hot, humid weather. Even then, it's tough. And take electrolytes to put in all that water you'll be drinking.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

It's a good idea to take some extra salt, either in the form of food (chips, etc.) or medicinally (from a little vial). The latter has helped me more than once.

We used to get salt tablets in 1969 during Air Force basic training so I guess they were useful. We had salt dispensers attached to walls in the barracks. More research needed on this if it's still currently done. I rarely add any salt to my food on my camping trips because my dehydrated meals are loaded with it, although I do add some to my cooked oatmeal.

Salt tablets are still very common in endurance racing, and easily available online.

And I rarely add any salt to my meals, dehydrated or not. So that's why the extra salt comes in handy for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Wear a hat. Every time you get to a stream, dunk it in the water and put it back on your head.

Otherwise, start early, take a long break in mid-afternoon if you can, and drink plenty of water.
    i would humbly suggest adding 2 large bandana, soaked in a nearby stream.Drape one around your neck and wear one on your head w/hat on top.

You will, almost, get to the point where you can soak the bandanas without stopping.

It will look a bit comical.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

All of the above, plus I add diluted Gatorade in hot weather, or just have one sip of Gatorade followed by a cup of water. Works for me. I also soak a bandana and wrap it around my neck... really helps cool the brain down. If you have enough water, bathe before bed.

You are going to sweat, get past it. For Florida hot and humid weather this is what I'd recommend.
    Water up before you hike. "Drink till ya slosh", works and don't think you can drink as you go to keep your hydration up. It takes a while for water to get into your system. You can try the *ade drinks, I like them but there's a lot of hype there. I wear an over-sized long sleeve shirt, SPF something-or-other (but breathable fabric) shirt, a hat with a neck drape and long bill, and a hobo hankie for mopping my sweaty face. Whatever you do don't fborget bug spray, DEET is your friend.
    I am currently auditioning fingerless solar gloves but they're tight where the fabric ends.
    Mostly enjoy a good rhythm if you push too much you're courting disaster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Hike wearing only a speedo. There's no shame in it. You'll see lots of fat old guys walking the trails that way this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Hike wearing only a speedo. There's no shame in it. You'll see lots of fat old guys walking the trails that way this time of year.
    I probably could have gone the rest of my life without that mental image.....

When is Naked Hiking Day? I would get an early start, first light and have my miles in before noon.

All good info stated above. This time of year, I tend to stick to day hikes so I can shower and sleep in the comfort of my air conditioned home at the end of the day.

Take care of your skin! Try to clean up in the evenings using water (use LNT techniques) or wet wipes. Especially the crotch area. Use powder down there too (Dr. Bonners). Consider using some sort of body glide product BEFORE you have issues around the crotch area. Finally, both my packs have trampoline type suspensions. This keeps my back from sweating and keeps the monkey butt at bay.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++