WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a new t-shirt

Looking for some ideas for a new lightweight synthetic hiking t-shirt. I normally use and love Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite t-shirt, but my other hiking shirt (North Face summit t-shirt) has finally fallen apart and I need to replace it. What lightweight t-shirt do you like?

Images

Just about any lightweight running shirt I can find on the cheap. They are stupid light, breath well, and usually cost about 2/3 what you pay for a dedicated hiking shirt. Currently hiking in a Under Armor shirt I grabbed off the sale rack at Dick's.
    Last edited by Engine; 07-23-2016 at 07:18.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Old Navy usually has wicking shirts cheap. That's a where I usually go first

OR Echo and also running shirts from BJs Wholesale Club or Walmart.

Salvation Army and other thrift stores are where I get mine. $2-4 depending, and some appear to have never or only briefly been worn.
    Zach

Walmart Dry Star, $6, 5.13 oz. for a mens large. I have four of them in various colors. One is just starting to show signs of wear after thousands of hours of use.

Cheap Walmart Danksin synthetic Dry Quick t-shirts. I have a couple of them and they work really well and only cost a few bucks. I don't bother with expensive stuff...I want it to last one season because I'll be wanting a change next hiking season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Cheap Walmart Danksin synthetic Dry Quick t-shirts. I have a couple of them and they work really well and only cost a few bucks. I don't bother with expensive stuff...I want it to last one season because I'll be wanting a change next hiking season anyway.
    Yep, the department stores are starting to carry nice synthetic shirts at a fraction of the cost of name brand outdoor clothing. The problem with Walmart is there is no consistency with what they carry, plus it's seasonal and regional.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The problem with Walmart is there is no consistency with what they carry, plus it's seasonal and regional.
    I've never been to a Walmart that didn't have an athletic clothes section...some are smaller, some are larger sections but they all have one. I've never had an issue looking for new shirts, and if there's something I really like then I buy a couple.

Default Best shirt?

Can someone offer an opinion on the best hiking shirt? I understand the strong bias towards low price, but I'd like to have a better understanding of the options and benefits.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Can someone offer an opinion on the best hiking shirt? I understand the strong bias towards low price, but I'd like to have a better understanding of the options and benefits.

thanks
    Best? I like merino wool. I do not like a plasticy feel. Icebreaker, Smartwool etc. I buy on sale when I can.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post

thanks
    Best for you might not be best for someone else. It would help if you listed the criteria you are looking for.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Best for you might not be best for someone else. It would help if you listed the criteria you are looking for.
    I'm new to this. Make a suggestion. I've enjoined day hikes all my life and in the past year have been doing 10+ mile day hikes with 3,000+ foot elevations. Merrel Moab shoes, wool hiking socks, and expensive underwear that does it's job are the extent of my specialized clothing. I'm using cotton shirts.

I typically get fitness type quick drying shirts made by athletic companies. At discount clothing stores like TJ Maxx I can find them for 7-10$. Unlike the expensive, ill fitting hiking brand T shirts. I love merino wool but it takes too long to dry. I like to wash my T shirts on the trail. I reserve merino for my long sleeve base layer that I might sleep in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

If you're going to be out for more than a few days, it's hard to beat a lightweight merino wool shirt. They perform well in a variety of conditions, they don't stink nearly as bad as some synthetics after a few days, and they dry almost as fast as a synthetic. The downside is they can be fragile and some are easily damaged in the washer. If you decide on wool, think Icebreaker or Paragonia and plan on spending $30-$60 depending on what you can find. If you go with synthetic, they can be crazy light and very tough, but often the smell will chase away everyone after a few sweaty days. Lots of manufacturers make good stuff, but like I said earlier, it's hard to beat a dedicated running shirt for hiking. Look for stuff from Adidas, Under Armor, Nike, etc...they're all pretty close in quality and price.

This ain't rocket science. It's a tee shirt. Just get what pleases you from a Wal-mart or Target and be done with it. Cheap as can be and very serviceable. Save all the research effort and shopping for the bigger ticket items like, tent, pack, etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

I still have a couple of Army brown UA compression T's that work well for me. I like the compression because it seems to help in the humidity. For some reason, they've never taken on an odor, and it immediately wicks the sweat to my outer layer. That is where I may be weird. I like wearing a baggier button up travel shirt with a left breast zippered gadget pocket. Once the UA T shirt wicks away the sweat, the buttoned shirt grabs it and pulls it further to the outside. Being military, I've never been much concerned about being a little hotter because of the amount of fabric I'm wearing. Keep drinking that water, everything's gonna be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker4ink View Post
    Looking for some ideas for a new lightweight synthetic hiking t-shirt. I normally use and love Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite t-shirt, but my other hiking shirt (North Face summit t-shirt) has finally fallen apart and I need to replace it. What lightweight t-shirt do you like?

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know about you, but I prefer to be plastered with brand name logos so I appear more astute on the trail. /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    This ain't rocket science. It's a tee shirt. Just get what pleases you from a Wal-mart or Target and be done with it. Cheap as can be and very serviceable. Save all the research effort and shopping for the bigger ticket items like, tent, pack, etc.
    Apparently you are in the dark about differences between shirts. I look for features like gusseted armpits for mobility without restriction. Mesh back or side panels for increased ventilation. Anti microbial treated material, UPF protection, or flat stitched seams and not on shoulders. it's not rocket science but it does increase your comfort level by doing some research.

I found a few Starter brand at Walmart that I liked the best (so far). 100% poly and they were under 10 bucks I think.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++