WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm particular when it comes to backpacking t-shirts as I live in them and spend 70% of all my backpacking time wearing a t-shirt so it must be comfortable, soft, light and not heavy, fast drying and all the rest. And a nice color!

My current favorite is the North Face Reaxion shirts as they are very soft so I bought several and won't need to dicker with t-shirts for a long while.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...axion-amp-crew
    I especially like the Citrus Yellow model and bought several.

Here's my NF shirt in action on the South Fork Citico trail on a hot day in June. This one is Chive Green.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Can someone offer an opinion on the best hiking shirt? I understand the strong bias towards low price, but I'd like to have a better understanding of the options and benefits.

thanks
    I like a synthetic wicking shirt, snug but not skin tight, long enough to cover my butt crack when bent over, and with flat shoulder seams that aren't directly under my pack straps...

Images

I prefer the lightest merino wool, soft and loose fitting. My last two have been Smartwool 150-weight short sleeve t-shirts. They are not cheap, but they are soft and comfortable, and they never start to smell bad.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thank you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I'm particular when it comes to backpacking t-shirts as I live in them and spend 70% of all my backpacking time wearing a t-shirt so it must be comfortable, soft, light and not heavy, fast drying and all the rest. And a nice color!

My current favorite is the North Face Reaxion shirts as they are very soft so I bought several and won't need to dicker with t-shirts for a long while.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...axion-amp-crew
    I especially like the Citrus Yellow model and bought several.

Here's my NF shirt in action on the South Fork Citico trail on a hot day in June. This one is Chive Green.
    Great shirts. Bought one a while back and found myself wearing it constantly this summer. Around town, boating, fishing, hiking or whatever its been comfortable. Wore the same shirt 3 days in a row in the White Mountains and had no complaints. Felt like I needed some variety so I picked up a Citrus Yellow one at lunchtime today. FYI, cabelas has them on sale for $20 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I prefer the lightest merino wool, soft and loose fitting. My last two have been Smartwool 150-weight short sleeve t-shirts. They are not cheap, but they are soft and comfortable, and they never start to smell bad.
    30% off at REI: https://www.rei.com/product/107842/s...ttern-tee-mens
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Quote Originally Posted by Joker4ink View Post
    Looking for some ideas for a new lightweight synthetic hiking t-shirt. I normally use and love Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite t-shirt, but my other hiking shirt (North Face summit t-shirt) has finally fallen apart and I need to replace it. What lightweight t-shirt do you like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker4ink View Post
    Apparently you are in the dark about differences between shirts. I look for features like gusseted armpits for mobility without restriction. Mesh back or side panels for increased ventilation. Anti microbial treated material, UPF protection, or flat stitched seams and not on shoulders. it's not rocket science but it does increase your comfort level by doing some research.
    MH Wicked Lite is still available; why not get another of those? Sounds as if you already know exactly what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Great shirts. Bought one a while back and found myself wearing it constantly this summer. Around town, boating, fishing, hiking or whatever its been comfortable. Wore the same shirt 3 days in a row in the White Mountains and had no complaints. Felt like I needed some variety so I picked up a Citrus Yellow one at lunchtime today. FYI, cabelas has them on sale for $20 right now.
    I bought my first one last month and used it for a 19 day trip and knew it was a winner and so upon return I purchased 4 more because when you find a piece of gear which works, especially a t-shirt, it's best to buy in bulk as gear will be discontinued and esp t-shirts.

Here are some other t-shirts I've been thru in the last 15 years---

I of course went thru the whole merino wool t-shirt phase (this one is Icebreaker) and while super soft and excellent they don't last long and get holes quickly and are heavy esp when wet and don't dry fast.

Recently I've been using this blue North Face tee with a fancy back panel to allow faster drying but it's heavier than my North Face Reaxion tees and "feels like plastic".

Years ago I bought this North Face tee and it's super soft and super nice but was discontinued and lost forever until I found the current Reaxions.

Here is another North Face tee model I used for a couple years but it's a little heavy and not super soft. North Face changes tee shirt names on a continual basis and I never remember the names.

And finally there's this Mt Hardwear tee I used for several years as I liked the color (and visible to hunters). Nice shirt but not super soft and a little heavy and hot feeling.

T-SHIRT TEST
    It's all about "feeling hot" in a t-shirt. Many polyester shirts feel very hot. Okay in the winter, bad in the summer.

Patagucchi cap 1 tank worth every penny in my opinion. In 600 plus miles I have never not once even thought about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++