WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: A few qusetions

Journal Entries
    Images

Default A few qusetions

What are you guys thoughts on pump sacks? I like the idea of cleaner mold free, and I will probably get one but just curious if anyone has one and used it how you liked it and what brand. BA is the cheapest one on amazon, and I need something to put my puffy in for an extra bit of protection. Or would this be a waste of money and mats don't get moldy? I just got a xlite and I wanna make it last for sure.

Where is the proper place to dispose of trash. I know its packed out! But are there dumpsters places or do you use a alley dumpster? Seems like a lot of trash and I would want to upset a business person.

How many sections are no tenting? And which ones?

I took a trash compactor bag and clipped a corner off that would fit over the fill valve on my air pad. Stole a hair bungee ponytail thingy from my wife to attach it. Works perfect and cheap.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I just got a xlite and I wanna make it last for sure.
    Seeing as how it has a lifetime warranty against failure ,when not abused, not sure why you would worry. If foil flakes off baffles return it and get another. chances are you will damage it at some point anyway , it wont last forever

If I am buying food/supplies/etc from a business, I have no problem using their garbage cans. It's unlikely I would walk by a convenience store or gas station and not buy something (Snickers, beer, juice, yogurt, chips, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I took a trash compactor bag and clipped a corner off that would fit over the fill valve on my air pad. Stole a hair bungee ponytail thingy from my wife to attach it. Works perfect and cheap.
    I bought this little doohicky, pretty much the same method. Worked great.

My thermarest itself was a piece of trash however, and got replaced with a Klymit Static V2 which has a much sturdier baffle design. This adapter kit doesn't technically fit the Klymat, but I forced the rubber tubing onto the valve and left it on.

I've had my Neo-air for 8 years now. It has quite the stench when it deflates. I need to rinse it out with something. Ammonia? Bleach? Antibiotics?

It did take a long time to reach this state. It probably has at least 400 nights on it by now. But an inflating bag does speed it up and saves a lot blowing. I don't have one but have seen a few in use. I have to sit down when inflating my pad or I'd fall over.

Disposing trash:

Trash receptacles at road crossings are scare.

You break down the packaging of the food you buy and put it into zip lock bags (which you reuse). This drastically reduces the volume of trash you have to carry and makes it easier to fit into your pack with out all that bulky packaging. You do this at the store, hostel or motel. Dispose of any garbage on hand at the same time.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 07-25-2016 at 18:06.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I use my exped pump sack/bag. Works slick and i stuff clothes in it for a pillow and its a waterproof stuff sack.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I use my exped pump sack/bag. Works slick and i stuff clothes in it for a pillow and its a waterproof stuff sack.
    +1. Schozel bag or some crazy Dr Seuss like word. Used mine on the JMT for 19 days. Worked awesome.

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Also who makes good tent stakes? The ones mine came with are junk.

The Easton 8"+ stakes work. A couple aluminum skinny nail stakes of similar length for the odd time when the Easton stakes won't go in the ground.
    Or through good money away on Ti or Carbon stakes.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Also who makes good tent stakes? The ones mine came with are junk.
    MSR groundhog stakes work pretty well in a large variety of soils.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    MSR groundhog stakes work pretty well in a large variety of soils.
    +1 on the MSR Groundhogs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Just got an Exped pad after years of using various Thermarest products. Taking the advice of reviewers we got the schnozzel bag, and it's *wonderful*.

Re: trash. No big deal. You really won't have that much trash -- 5 or 6 days of trash fits in a gallon zip loc bag for me. Plenty of public trash cans out there at convenience stores, gas stations, etc.

Make sure you strip all the excess packaging from your food and other supplies, no need to carry it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++