WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Most of the crappers I've seen have no door. But I have only hiked in Georgia, TN, and NC. In fact, most of the newer type look to be handicapped accessible with ramps and grab handles.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Place one foot on either side of the hole in the privy and bend at the knees until your @ is over the O. You are now in the anatomically correct pooping position, as designed by God/Fate/3 billion years of evolution. If you're of the male persuasion, make sure your little guy is looking into the hole so you don't spray the door or the floor. Now the only part of of you that has touched the privy is the bottoms of your footwear.
    Ahh, the old "squat and hover". We ladies have perfected that technique out of pure necessity.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Most of the crappers I've seen have no door. But I have only hiked in Georgia, TN, and NC. In fact, most of the newer type look to be handicapped accessible with ramps and grab handles.
    As I understand it, the new ones are ADA compliant because it's cheaper and easier to build them that way than it is to get an exemption. I'm not going to complain about it though, I greatly enjoy the extra space.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    As I understand it, the new ones are ADA compliant because it's cheaper and easier to build them that way than it is to get an exemption. I'm not going to complain about it though, I greatly enjoy the extra space.
    It is comical to see a privy with handicap rails that is miles from the nearest road. Someone had to carry those steel handicap rails out there.. When you dig a 6 to 8 inch hole in the woods and poop in it, did you just illegally construct a privy without handicap rails? You shudder to think of the consequences.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    It is comical to see a privy with handicap rails that is miles from the nearest road. Someone had to carry those steel handicap rails out there.. When you dig a 6 to 8 inch hole in the woods and poop in it, did you just illegally construct a privy without handicap rails? You shudder to think of the consequences.
    You don't install rails on your catholes? How do you keep from falling in?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

That's what fire rings are for.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I'm not too worried about touching something that someones skin has touched after everything else I've done on the AT and while hiking.
    Well put. If a privy is really disgusting and I'm not desperate, I have been known to hike on well away from camp and dig a cathole well away from the trail. I have a trowel that makes this an easy chore as it turns out.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++