WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Just to be clear... One does not have to camp at or in a shelter on the AT, correct?

I am personally opposed to sheltering and I plan to do a little weekend hike over Labor day from Amicalola and as far North on the AT as I can get by Monday afternoon. It could be 10 miles the whole weekend or maybe 20... who knows. My preference is to just go until I can't then look for a nice level spot to pitch my tent a good bit off the trail. Is my preference illegal? Do I have to camp in a designated campsite if I practice LNT to the letter?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

That area is pretty well trampled, camp anywhere you please. Going a good bit off the trail typically puts you on the side of a steep hill. Gaps are the preferred locations to camp and every one will have a well established site.

But be sure to stock up on water at the shelters, as that's about the only place your going to find it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Depends on the state and the area. Some states its required you stay in designated areas. I think the entire state of Connecticut is one. Some areas, such as WMNF, has certain rules and restrictions for above treeline and wilderness areas.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Some sections and even entire states (Maryland) require camping in designated areas only. I don't think that applies to the section you're doing.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I am personally opposed to sheltering and I plan to do a little weekend hike over Labor day from Amicalola and as far North on the AT as I can get by Monday afternoon. It could be 10 miles the whole weekend or maybe 20... who knows. My preference is to just go until I can't then look for a nice level spot to pitch my tent a good bit off the trail. Is my preference illegal? Do I have to camp in a designated campsite if I practice LNT to the letter?
    My understanding is that you can do exactly that in the area you plan to be. But I'm no expert.

Journal Entries

And I assume this holiday weekend is going to be like a stampede with people, huh? Sigh... I have to take what I can get when I can get it. Don't have any time off again until April of next year, so long weekends are all I can manage. Means I will have to stand in line to walk probably.

Images

In the Smokys---you have to stay in a shelter unless you are a thru hiker...

but, sounds like you won't be going that far...

Journal Entries

Let me amend my original thread with "before I get to the Smokies". I know the farther north I go and other states have their own rules. None of these things will be a factor over Labor Day weekend for us though. We'll be doing great to get 20 miles in. We are both intentionally, and due to lack of choice, going very slow and just out walking in the woods all leizurely.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    In the Smokys---you have to stay in a shelter unless you are a thru hiker...but, sounds like you won't be going that far...
    Unless they made a recent rule change, thru hikers in the GSMNP must stay in shelters. If full, they can tent only near the shelter.

Images

Yeah....that's what I meant...

was typing in a hurry...

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    And I assume this holiday weekend is going to be like a stampede with people, huh? Sigh... I have to take what I can get when I can get it. Don't have any time off again until April of next year, so long weekends are all I can manage. Means I will have to stand in line to walk probably.
    Start at first light. Or even a bit before. Few people are up and about at that time.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Just right off the top of your heads... does anyone know how many AT miles are within the GSMNP? Even just a ball park?

Images

Ballpark is about 74 or so....

Journal Entries

Ok Thanks. I will get there eventually. Maybe by the time I do they will have changed the rules. I won't hold my breath. Just really hate the idea. Takes a lot away from the whole thing for me.

Images

Don't worry---they will end up changing the rules again eventually...

too many people are not adhering to the current rules---which will lead to more rules being in place...

We would generally aim for a shelter for the night, but just to load up with water. Then we march on and find a camp, often up on a ridge. Always worked pretty well. The problem with random camping is that you might not have any water.

Journal Entries

I agree. I will be going to every shelter on the way, just to camel up and see it, but then move on a ways to camp elsewhere. That's my plan.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Don't worry---they will end up changing the rules again eventually...

too many people are not adhering to the current rules---which will lead to more rules being in place...
    Guaranteed not to be ones you will like more than the current.

Images

Guaranteed not to be ones you will like more than the current.

exactly......

i didnt necessarily like the last change they did, but i saw it coming.....

people that were blatantly breaking various rules of the backcountry (too many people in a campsite, leaving food out, riding bikes to the campsites, staying more nights than allowed, etc etc etc) brought the new change to the system.........

and then complained about the change......

how can one blame the park for wanting to make the backcountry a better experience?

Starting at Amicalola heading north for a few days, you absolutely do not need to stay in or even near a shelter. I live here, and frequent the trails, so in this very limuted respect I am an expert. Practice LNT and you will be fine, and welcome.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++