WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default A Walk in the Woods - The book

I just have to share this embarrassing moment I just had, as I believe a great many of you will be able to appreciate it. I saw the movie and I liked it. It was entertaining to me. Obviously, not a documentary. I have just now gotten around to starting the book though... so I'm sitting in my local Zaxby's on my lunch break, all by myself, eating and reading and I'm no farther than the 2nd chapter in and I am seriously struggling not to choke on my food because I am trying desperately to chew and stifle an attack of really loud obnoxious gut laughter. My eyes were watering and I was giggling a little out loud because I couldn't help myself but my face had to be purple, while I was trying not to just bust out laughing. This book is hilarious!

For any late bloomers like myself that haven't read it yet, and I doubt there are many here, make a point to read this book. I'm barely into it and it's better than most of the books I've read in quite a while, and I am an avid reader. Totally worth your time, but the warning label should read: only read when alone or people will think you are a psycho.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries
    Images

I read the book first, which made the movie more entertaining. The book is indeed far better and full of LOL moments. It's definitely worth the read even if you're not into the AT.

Images

Try some of Bryson's other books sometime. I think my favorites are "A Sunburnt country" (about Australia) or "A Brief History of Everything". Fantastic (as is AWITW, of course).

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Try some of Bryson's other books sometime. I think my favorites are "A Sunburnt country" (about Australia) or "A Brief History of Everything". Fantastic (as is AWITW, of course).
    I've got a few on my Kindle I plan on checking out. I started "A Short History of Nearly Everything" but kept falling asleep as he delved into the atomic structure of the universe and how we're all lucky to have been forged from it. Maybe it's because I covered all of that in my 20s after a few tokes.

Just bought the book the other day. A lot of reviews say the first part of the book is awesome but the last half is totally opposite. Guess I'll find out!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    Just bought the book the other day. A lot of reviews say the first part of the book is awesome but the last half is totally opposite. Guess I'll find out!
    Yep.
    First is humorous, to most
    Last really drags

Journal Entries

But by the last half, you are invested so you have to finish it anyway. Kind of realistic I think. The first part of a long hike is exciting and fun and you can crack jokes at stupid things that happen. But by the end of that same hike, things just aren't nearly so funny.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I read the book first, which made the movie more entertaining. The book is indeed far better and full of LOL moments. It's definitely worth the read even if you're not into the AT.
    That's how I felt. Enjoyed the book when Bryson was on the trail and not taking day hikes to fill a contract.

The movie was a mediocre 1980s sitcom stretched over two boring hours.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Great book! just an okay movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    Agree 100%. It was still a blast to read. Way better than the movie.

Read the book a few years ago, and I loved it. Doubled over laughing with tears in my eyes. I thought it was not only a funny story, but I learned a lot too (although some stuff is a little dated, since the book was written like 20 years ago.) I gave copies to my mother, daughter, and friends as I left for my own AT attempt a couple years ago; they loved it (except my daughter didn't really care for his discussion about bears!)

I was very excited when I first learned that there was going to be a movie. Even though I knew that the screenplay would be a challenge, I was still really disappointed in the movie.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Read the book a while back and it I thought it was really well put together and funny. Then I saw the movie, with the same expectations. Let's just say, I read the book again recently to remember how great his story was. I'll read it again too. I'm not a reader, I have maybe 10-15 books and this one is in my "library", I liked it so much.
    - Trail name: Thumper

He's a great writer if you can handle his style -- witty, sarcastic, well-informed, self-deprecating.

Most of his books are similarly humorous, including several non-fiction works, and two excellent books about the English language.

That said, I think his last book, "The Road to Little Dribbling" is kinda weak, by comparison.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'm not a big reader, so I got the audio version as a gift. The version I have is actually read by Bryson himself. I agree that it's a good read (or listen in my case).
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I've never see a movie, that is based on a good book I've read, that was as good as the book.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I've never see a movie, that is based on a good book I've read, that was as good as the book.
    First Blood.

Movie much better than book.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    First Blood.

Movie much better than book.
    god father, exorcist, jaws, all great books and exceptional epic movies.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    god father, exorcist, jaws, all great books and exceptional epic movies.
    There are more. Usually older than the list above. Nobody cares anymore.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Fight Club.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Doctor Strangelove.
    A Time to Kill.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++