WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default I think I have a great Idea

OKay I admit I am a clutz and I always trip over my lines at night I found something for all of us that can replace the tie downs for tarps It's called Trip Tease lightline by Kelty it's an orange nylon cord and has reflective strips in it. Cost 15.00 at REI for 50 feet total weight for the 50 feet 1oz. I used it last night for the first time and Yahoo I saw the line when I went for my midnight jaunt to the privy.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Images

Already did it LOL. I got the idea from FireFeet. I guess great minds think alike.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

'Course the flip side is that zombies with flashlights will be able to find hammocker brains that much easier.

i think campmor has a similar product on sale right now. I saw it earlier this week. Just can't recall the name...

EDIT:
    I was wrong, it isn't on sale
    Kelty Brand:
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
    Made of reflective 3M Scotchlite(tm) yarns with a gold color that really stands out in the light or dark. When dark, it looks like a laser beam, when light is shined on it. The SpectraR 900 core gives it a breaking strength of 188 lbs., with a weight of only 1 oz. per 50 ft. Recommended for guylines only.

No Name Brand:
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
    50 feet weighs 2.5 ounces
    Highly visible gold color
    Reflective for easy night visibility
    Nylon braided for strength and durability
    Great for guy lines, bear bags, clothes line and other stuff
    1/8 inch diameter
    Comes on a handy winder
    Last edited by timhines; 01-07-2006 at 22:45.

patrick made a good point. is not tripping really worth having zombies eat out you brains?

when i eat a classic tripple at wendies i can feal my arteries harden

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Already did it LOL. I got the idea from FireFeet. I guess great minds think alike.
    yea "great minds" think alike,,,,,

so on that line did U also notice FF 'trailrunners", I know I did
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

I am a married man Steve
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Waterbuffalo
    OKay I admit I am a clutz and I always trip over my lines at night I found something for all of us that can replace the tie downs for tarps It's called Trip Tease lightline by Kelty it's an orange nylon cord and has reflective strips in it.
    Nothing new here tho... I've used Triptease since it saw it a few years ago. The Spectra is great for tarp ridgelines because it won't stretch and sag like nylon. You'll get an interesting surprise when you take flash photos of your hammock tho.

White tieout lines (and bungies for HH users) are actually more visible in at night than Triptease or GloCord. The light doesn't have to come directly from you for 'em to show up, and they are visible to dark-adapted eyes even under starlight.

Doug Frost

One question about the tieouts. Well maybe two. One: If you use the little aluminum 'adjusters' that come with tents that require guying, where can you get more of them? I have two and logic tells me I need at least two more. Second question: What knot system could I use with the Triptease to prevent even needing the two hole adjusters on the guys? Seems there should be a pretty simple sliding knot that'd work great.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

I usually use some form of trucker's hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    I usually use some form of trucker's hitch.
    Maybe a bowline, too. ? Looks relatively easy to tie and might be somewhat adjustable. ? (Trucker's hitch looked hard to tie.)
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Images

I always use a taut-line hitch. Slides easily in either direction when you need it to and I've never had one come loose.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I am a married man Steve
    ah yea Rock..I know UR married but that wasn't the question

(of course I think I just take it that ur "pleading the 5th??")
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie
    Maybe a bowline, too. ? Looks relatively easy to tie and might be somewhat adjustable. ? (Trucker's hitch looked hard to tie.)
    A bowline is not adjustable. It is used as a rescue knot specifically because it doesn't slip. Like Patrick, I use a taut line hitch. It's easy to tie, doesn't slip and can be easily adjusted. I modify mine with a loop instead of pulling the rope (when making the last hitch) all the way through when I tighten it. It makes it real easy to untie, just pull the rope and it's loose.
    Peace,
    Joe

GAME 2000
    Images

Check this link: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arti...57&postcount=1 .

The tautline hitch is #7. You can use more than two wraps before you finish it off with the half-hitch if you need more friction, or holding power. The tautline works on friction and torque, it slides relatively easy when you remove the torque and is hard to slide when you apply torque. The friction is in the wraps, the torque is it the angle of the two lines and you need to wrap it in the right direction to get the torque... if it isn't holding well, try retieing it with the wraps and the finishing half-hitch in the proper direction/orientation. I think I use about 4 wraps on the tautline hitch I use on my tarps ridgelines because it is under pretty heavy stress... this also makes it a lot harder to adjust so don't add turns unless you really need to.

Images

I make the loop I spoke of at step 6.
    Peace,
    Joe

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by txulrich
    I make the loop I spoke of at step 6.
    What's the proper way to say that? I used to say I finished a knot with a 'quick release' to describe that loop and lately I've been saying I tied a 'slippery' bowline, tautline, etc to describe that loop because I saw someone else use that terminology. How does 'finish with a quick release loop' sound?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    What's the proper way to say that? I used to say I finished a knot with a 'quick release' to describe that loop and lately I've been saying I tied a 'slippery' bowline, tautline, etc to describe that loop because I saw someone else use that terminology. How does 'finish with a quick release loop' sound?
    That works for me!!
    Peace,
    Joe

Images

http://www.thru-hiker.com/detail.asp?product_id=xx102 << Ayce at Thru-hiker.com has generic Triptease ,5 bucks cheaper.
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Youngblood, *slippery* or *slipped* is the correct terminology or you could say, *finished with a quick release clenched bight* since, technicaly, it isn't a *loop*! Pretty much everyone knows what we mean when we say *slippery bowline* or whatever.

I also use a Driver's Hitch instead of a Taughtline Hitch, especially on my tarp ridge line and I also use it on the Hammock Supports. I can tie it faster than a taughtline, especially if you have lots of *extra* (one pass instead of three or four) rope, and it will never slip. It is a Trucker's Hitch variant but it uses NO KNOTS and is very easy to untie no matter how much you load it.

I agree with Mr. Frost on the white cordage, shows up very well at night.
    If you have arrived here by accident, I suggest panic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++