WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default which tent for thru-hikers NOBO?

hi all, looking to NOBO from march 2017, has anyone got suggestions/recommendations on which tent? I have a couple but they are too heavy, to big and only for warm weather.

Leonidas

This is a loaded question. How tall/big are you? Do you want extra space? How heavy of a shelter are you wanting to carry. How experienced are you at setting up various shelters? You are going to get a variety of answers.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

When most people can start and finish a thru with 1 tent, does it matter if you are going north or south? The tent doesn't mind which way you go http://www.tarptent.com/ any tent off this site will get you north to Maine, or south to Springer
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You will see lots of Big Agnes Flycreek UL1s, not the perfect tent but adequate, the weight is right, the price is right.

There are a surprisingly large number of choices available. So one has to narrow down the search.

The first filter to apply is cost. Most of the choices be in the mid price range, $200 to $300.

The second filter is type. Self supporting or poles? Self supporting has advantages in some set up situations, but comes with a weight penalty.

For self supporting, Big Angnes and MSR brands are popular. For pole supported, Traptent and Six Moon Designs are popular brands.

Finally, how big? 2 person gives you lots of room, but of course weighs much more then a single person.

Over the years I have used many different shelter systems. My current one is the Six Moon Designs Sky Scape Trekker. At 25 oz and $250, it has a pretty good price to weight ratio. I also like the fact it has a fairly narrow foot print which fits in small sites and I can sit up inside it and change a shirt without rubbing up against any walls.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Copper Spur UL 1....

Journal Entries
    Images

I went off the beaten path marmot starlight 2p. I really like it right at 3.5 lbs my last tent was 6. Tents are like packs deffintly not one size fits all. Want it tall enough changing clothes is not acrobatic.

There's no real answer here except go with what you feel best (weight vs comfort). For example, I'm 6 foot 2 and have a $40 Ebay tent. It's a Dowson Load Mountain, weighs in at 3 lbs (4.2 with original poles, I swapped them out for lighter, thinner poles), and it's a 6 foot by 4 foot tent. Slept diagonally in it with my pack in a corner and that was great for me. I'm going to use it again next year on my 2nd attempt.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

If you want to go really light in the pack and the wallet, I love my Z-packs Solplex. I am short, and put my pack at my feet and still have lots of room. I use trekking poles so I use them for tent poles, the rest of the tent comes in at one pound in the bag with stakes.

I use either a hammock and tarp or a Zpacks Duplex tent. 2 person, 21 ozs if you use trek poles slightly more if you need tent poles, big, roomy but will set you back almost $600.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Mooie View Post
    hi all, looking to NOBO from march 2017, has anyone got suggestions/recommendations on which tent? I have a couple but they are too heavy, to big and only for warm weather.

hi everyone, thanks for your responses.........I forgot to mention, I am 6'3, so I'm guessing a 2 man, but obviously weight will be an issue and also it would have to handle the cold in the spring and the heat in the summer.

thanks all

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Quote Originally Posted by Mooie View Post
    hi everyone, thanks for your responses.........I forgot to mention, I am 6'3, so I'm guessing a 2 man, but obviously weight will be an issue and also it would have to handle the cold in the spring and the heat in the summer.

thanks all
    one person tents can be pretty small. I have an ba flycreek ul 2 p and it feels small to me an I'm on ly 5'5". Of course my prior tent was a marmot limelight 2p and that thing is a mansion compared to the flycreek

Images

This is one of those choices you shouldn't rush into. You may end up spending more time in the tent while awake than you are anticipating due to weather, minor injuries, etcetera. So, get something with enough room to move around in. Weight is an issue and unfortunately the cost to weight ratio isn't really linear, it's exponential. For tents (not tarps, a different animal altogether) going down to about 3 1/2 pounds, you can find choices fairly cheaply. Between 2 and 3 pounds things quickly go into the $200-400 range. If you are wanting less weight than that it can get painful at the bank. The Tarptents are a reliable choice, but whatever you buy, make sure you spend some time practicing with it during cruddy weather before next March.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Six Moons Design Skyscape X. I'm only 5'6" but it was more room than I need. Space at the head for clothes/stuff. Store bag in vestibule leaning against a trekking pole. Used it on a JMT thru hike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've reversed the sleeping bag for some reason in this photo normally head end goes toward the pointed end.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    I've reversed the sleeping bag for some reason in this photo normally head end goes toward the pointed end.

I was holding one of the pillows seen in your photo at Gander Mountain yesterday, contemplating the purchase. What's your opinion, worth the 4 ounces?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I'm a side sleeper so to me it's my one luxury item. If you are a back sleeper probably unnecessary.

It also works well if you are reading a trail guide in your tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garlic
    Images

Single wall tents like Tarptent (my favorite) have a learning curve. They're finicky to pitch exactly right and you deal more with condensation. And after you get that they're a great solution for the thru-hiker who presumably is hiking more than camping. They're not so great for base camping in horrible weather. The Tarptent one-person tents are very large, my 6'7" friend likes his. They're very economical, certainly in the long run. My last Contrail (superceded by the Protrail) cost me about a dollar per night.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Single wall tents like Tarptent (my favorite) have a learning curve. They're finicky to pitch exactly right and you deal more with condensation. And after you get that they're a great solution for the thru-hiker who presumably is hiking more than camping. They're not so great for base camping in horrible weather. The Tarptent one-person tents are very large, my 6'7" friend likes his. They're very economical, certainly in the long run. My last Contrail (superceded by the Protrail) cost me about a dollar per night.
    To be clear, not all TarpTent models are single wall. The double wall models are available with either all mesh or part mesh wall inner tent bodies. Given all of the models & options, the TarpTents can be customized for individual needs.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++